Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evolution driving women to be more beautiful

HAJiME

FOR the female half of the population, it may bring a satisfied smile. Scientists have found that evolution is driving women to become ever more beautiful, while men remain as aesthetically unappealing as their caveman ancestors.

The researchers have found beautiful women have more children than their plainer counterparts and that a higher proportion of those children are female.Those daughters, once adult, also tend to be attractive and so repeat the pattern.

Over generations, the scientists argue, this has led to women becoming steadily more aesthetically pleasing, a “beauty race” that is still on.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Sounds like rubbish to me, not because it's not evolutionarily sound, but because I can't see how you'd define what was "more beautiful" in the first place to test the theory. Concepts of beauty change with generations... Again from Dawkins' Twitter.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Supertypo

• Cetacea

• Mattshark

• Beckys_Mom

hmmm sounds rather insulting to men to be honest....... I am not sure if I believe it

All I can say is....my daughter is a million times more beautiful than me LOL...

while men remain as aesthetically unappealing as their caveman ancestors.

:o well that is just rude!! I don't buy this one bit-- however I will agree that my daughter is a million times more beautiful than me :yes:

Men and women will eventually evolve into two separate species. Then what happens?

Anyway, I thought deep down all women are attracted to a rough and tough caveman. Why do we need to change?

What a load of bologne, is all I can say, lol.

I don't think those researchers live in the real world. the majority of people . men and women . are pretty average .

I don't think those researchers live in the real world. the majority of people . men and women . are pretty average .

Well, yeah. Thats what average means.

IMO tho, I think they should do a another study on men, I want an excuse for my amazing handsomeness..

wtf..i think people are losing it :/....really this is our concern if people are getting more beautiful with evolution...pshhh obviously arne't living in the real world, people are some ugly bleep bleep with the way our society acts

*runs away* perhaps cavewoman were prettier :P

*facepalm* For anyone who has been troubled by this article, there is no reason to worry or become concerned. All you have to do to reassure yourself that the evidence within this silly article is false is go to your local "DMV". *shudder*

lol more bad news for men...women will be at their most beautiful by the time men have died out considering from what i hear the Y chromosome is dying

Beauty is 50% objective (as designed by Nature) and 50% subjective (as perceived by people). In a poor country where people can afford only 1 small meal a day, the ideal of feminine beauty would be a fat or overweight woman, whereas in a rich country, the ideal beauty is a slim woman. The objective part of beauty has always remained the same, that is, youth, fertility, and symmetrical features, however, the subjective part of beauty is forever changing, shaped by society's perception of the human form and its purpose/functions in the society of that era.

Sounds like rubbish to me, not because it's not evolutionarily sound, but because I can't see how you'd define what was "more beautiful" in the first place to test the theory. Concepts of beauty change with generations... Again from Dawkins' Twitter.

Actually it is evolutionarily sound, since it follows the actual laws of evolution. Read up on evolution. By "beauty race" and "more beautiful", the scientist apply the concept to "appealing" in the dominant culture.

You people shouldn't shoot down scientific studies like this, since you're shooting down knowledge, specially studies of this importance, this one was mentioned in the scientific community as of discovery and breakthrough.

Edited by Alex01

I don’t know, I mean look at how many Women Fear Gravity affecting their Saddle Bags and Mammary Sacks, and how many put themselves through Hell going through Life O’ Suction, having their Inner Mass removed, all of the Face Lifting and Pounds of Makeup and it’s not just to Attract Mates, Male or Female in that just stated, but they are in competition with each other, and the Other half Fear the Age of Fifty, Gravity is the Enemy of the Modern Women, but what they seem to not get, what the Women Lose sight of, is that the Aging process of the Human Being is done in stages, and Humans are as every bit lovely in all those stages of Life, Modern Society is Harsh to say the least, and the expectation placed upon the Modern Women is Heavy, but it is truly the Beauty of the Natural Woman, the Vegetarian Natural Women that Shines as above all others Women that are playing the Comedic and Perfect sceen to even the point of Enhancements and Horrible Afflictions they place upon themselves to meet the Cosmetic Gold Standard Bar. It is sick beyond reason, a Natural Vegan/ Vegetarian Woman that live her Life naturally healthy abounds in Natural Beauty.

Edited by Enigmatic Ghost

Concepts of beauty may change but there are several stable underlying concepts, like symmetry and certain paedomorphic features such as large wide set eyes. What people perceives as being 'attractive' has been found to be related to facial symmetry which in turn is thought to be linked to 'good genes'. So while hair styles and body types may vary with generation, I am fairly sure more people will agree a straight nose and equal sized big eyes are more attractive than a wonlky nose and significantly assymetrical eyes.

This is rather interesting I was just thinking the other day if people really respond to symmetry there should to some extent be a selection towards 'beauty'.

hmmm sounds rather insulting to men to be honest....... I am not sure if I believe it

Nature is not politically correct ;)

You people shouldn't shoot down scientific studies like this, since you're shooting down knowledge, specially studies of this importance, this one was mentioned in the scientific community as of discovery and breakthrough.

I completely agree. Sadly there seems to be quite a tendency towards 'what a waste of time', 'well that is hardly news' and 'that is just bull' attitudes. :(

*facepalm* For anyone who has been troubled by this article, there is no reason to worry or become concerned.

And just who was troubled by it or even concerned?? LMAO.. a face palm for you :w00t:

All I can say is....my daughter is a million times more beautiful than me LOL...

:o well that is just rude!! I don't buy this one bit-- however I will agree that my daughter is a million times more beautiful than me :yes:

There you go - that proves it!

while men remain as aesthetically unappealing as their caveman ancestors.

That felt like yet another slap on an already tough day

Well, I have yet to meet a man that see's Megan Fox as unattractive.

Of course, women can most certainly affect how they are perceived. IE: That same Megan Fox has tattoos that most certainly degrade an otherwise pristine female.

Darn knuckle dragging, it's costing me a fortune in manicures LOL.

People say my daughter looks like Megan Fox :yes:

Of course, women can most certainly affect how they are perceived. IE: That same Megan Fox has tattoos that most certainly degrade an otherwise pristine female.

Yeah but I hear she's got some strange looking thumbs.

Darn knuckle dragging, it's costing me a fortune in manicures LOL.

That has to be hard on the cuticle! Poor you!

The researchers have found beautiful women have more children than their plainer counterparts and that a higher proportion of those children are female.

What researchers? I disagree with this.

Their attractiveness was assessed from photographs taken during the study, which also collected data on the number of children they had.

Oh come on! Just who "assessed" who was attractive?

This is not actually scientific research, its just pop science assumptions made by random "researchers."

In fact, I have found that alot of beautiful women are extremely selfish, egotistical and weak and refuse to have children because of what it will do their amazing (expensive) bodies. They are also pampered through childhood and think the pain will be too tough for them to deal with.

I prefer to side with the argument from the movie Idiocracy - that stupid people are having more kids and are eventually going to become a race of their own. :D

I find megan fox unattractive. I also guarantee she wont have any kids.

By the way, Angelina Jolie's adopted kids would not count toward the hypothesis seeing as you can't pass DNA down to adoptees LOL

All I can say is go look at some pictures of women from years ago. Depression women are really scary looking. Moviestars will never be as beautiful.

It's all in the eye of the beholder and what is accepted as beautiful in the current world-view. Have you ever noticed that someone you consider ugly becomes more beautiful as time goes on and the ones that you consider beautiful become much more ordinary looking?