Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

IRS to read your email, Facebook, Twitter

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 15 April 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard. So any email you read is instantly public property? Well then, let's see all the email accounts of every elected official posted on a .gov.. Now that's transparency.

Good idea but it will never happen

It is one rule for them and another rule for everyone else

Posted Image

#17    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard. So any email you read is instantly public property? Well then, let's see all the email accounts of every elected official posted on a .gov.. Now that's transparency.
Yeah buddy if we're going to share we ought to share alike.  

I do support government secrecy in some things (technology) but not in its policies (don't get me started) like this latest charade with pie in the sky stealth aircraft Obama parked in dangerous places.   I have to admit Ron Paul was right about Hagel.   This wasn't the guy for the smaller government or the more humble foreign policy.  

All Obama had/has to do was pick up the telephone and agree with Kim that he doesn't want war either.   I would consider that responsible foreign policy.   Dennis Rodman came back with an invitation to Obama, as unorthodox as that was, it was an opportunity and it probably still is.   As if Obama couldn't outsmart and outwit this kid in a conversation?   Obama can't think of intelligent things to say?    He's a silver tongued devil he should be more open to speak with other leaders with it.   We should always talk to our enemies as a matter of course, right?   I see no good results from silent treatment.   To me, that is the far greater "isolationism".

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#18    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 14 April 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Unless you happen to be a billionaire.
In which case the IRS will look the other way I'm sure.
So long as you're a billionaire who's paying your taxes, yeah.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#19    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,577 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostYamato, on 14 April 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Should our emails be protected by the 4th Amendment?   Opinions?

Absolutely.
  I can understand facebook and twitter,  designed to be PUBLIC  being  accessible  .. but  personal communications should be off limits.   in the 4th amendment .. It's called being "secure" in your papers  ...

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#20    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,115 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

So any email you read is instantly public property?

email is not a "private" medium. It never has been. Sorry.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#21    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

excuse me ? If you get onto my computer and bypass my security to read my emails you have committed the crime of hacking. Anything that is password protected is the same. Because it is not enforced like the current gun Laws doesnt mean we need new Laws.

Its hacking for me or you or the Govmnt do it.

If it is shared in a public space for viewing by anyone. Not people that arent on your approved or "friended" list then you  went through a backdoor to read that information. Most likely hacking again.

Even on this Forum the Govmnt would have to make an account to monitor whats being posted. If they read my private PM's then they have hacked my account. They should be prosecuted appropriately. Unfortunately this is only used to identify persons of interest and wont ever be used in a court of Law because they know the outcome.

#22    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

View Postninjadude, on 16 April 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

No, turns out a warrant must be issued for the government to read your emails.
http://www.howstuffw...tored-email.htm

Excerpt...

Not quite. It turns out that the U.S. government has been using the Stored Communications Act (SCA) to read private e-mails without a search warrant. These are e-mails stored on services like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. If the government wants to read e-mails that on their way to a recipient, they need to have a special type of search warrant, a wiretap order. Wiretap warrants can be difficult to get. So instead of worrying about in-transit e-mails, the government secretly accessed stored e-mails, justifying its conduct under the SCA. Increasingly large amounts of storage space mean that many people never delete e-mails (this writer does so only rarely). So a person's entire history of electronic communication could be available to the government without a judge first signing off on a warrant. ­
The issue worried civil liberties and Internet rights advocates, and a recent court ruling was in their favor. On Monday, June 18, a panel of three judges from the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals declared the government's actions and the SCA unconstitutional. The result is that stored e-mails are now more secure from government eavesdropping, since the government now has to get a warrant to read the stored e-mails of someone they're investigating.

#23    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 16 April 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

excuse me ? If you get onto my computer and bypass my security to read my emails you have committed the crime of hacking. Anything that is password protected is the same. Because it is not enforced like the current gun Laws doesnt mean we need new Laws.

If it is shared in a public space for viewing by anyone. Not people that arent on your approved or "friended" list then you  went through a backdoor to read that information. Most likely hacking again.

Even on this Forum the Govmnt would have to make an account to monitor whats being posted. If they read my private PM's then they have hacked my account. They should be prosecuted appropriately. Unfortunately this is only used to identify persons of interest and wont ever be used in a court of Law because they know the outcome.
That's not true either asteroid. I read this forum for many years before I made an account. IIRC I couldn't see or open attachments in the threads. Just sign off and browse the forums.

#24    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

That's not true either asteroid. I read this forum for many years before I made an account. IIRC I couldn't see or open attachments in the threads. Just sign off and browse the forums.

True. My main point was reading of emails/PM's but you are absolutely correct.

#25    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 16 April 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

The excuse the GOV will use in court is that the email application owner(s) allowed access to the individuals information.  Everything the individual types into the internet becomes private property of the application owner(s).  Without a valid hand written signature there is hardly a legal contract for the individual to present in a court of law.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#26    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

Yerp and thats why there trying to change the LAWS in the name of Homeland Security

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,088 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

View Postninjadude, on 16 April 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

then in that case, I want you to publish every single e-mail you've sent. Tomorrow. Start a thread and we'll hapoily read them.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#28    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 16 April 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

then in that case, I want you to publish every single e-mail you've sent. Tomorrow. Start a thread and we'll hapoily read them.

FTR, he's not entitled to if he doesn't want to.  The point is that your personal information is written away once you allow another individual to claim ownership of it.  It's all in the fine print bro.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#29    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Since we are using UM personal posts as an example.  A few questions to ask your self.  Are UM personal posts are stored on your computer?  Or are they stored by a third party (UM or someone else) on their server?  Where is the UM server?  What exactly are the rules of ownership for your personal posts on UM?  Who has access to your personal posts?

#30    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostGromdor, on 16 April 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Since we are using UM personal posts as an example.  A few questions to ask your self.  Are UM personal posts are stored on your computer?  Or are they stored by a third party (UM or someone else) on their server?  Where is the UM server?  What exactly are the rules of ownership for your personal posts on UM?  Who has access to your personal posts?
I believe I've read in the rules that info won't be sold but may be given to authorities or reported to authorities if extreme threats of violence or generally extreme loonyness is taking place. I made up 'loonyness'. I coud be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users