Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How Close Is Doomsday?

doomsday

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,966 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

How close are we to the end? How close are we to being among the last humans to ever live? Depending on who you are — your religion, politics, relative degree of pessimism or optimism — that question is bound to bring up images of some particular kind of cataclysm. It could be an all-out nuclear exchange or a climate change-driven mass extinction. But what if there was a way of answering the doomsday question in the most generic way possible.

http://www.npr.org/b...ose-is-doomsday

Posted Image

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,631 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Something I don't worry about.  Today is good, that is all I need. Tomorrow, a rock might fall from the sky take me out. Oh well, tt was fun while it lasted.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,139 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

How close is doomsday, probably closer than we think.

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,892 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think we are close to the end of civilization as we now know it. With exponential population growth, global warming, threats of nuclear war, it can't go on like this forever, can it? One day something's got to give. The human race will have to re-adjust itself to a new environment. A new political and social environment.

I'd give it another hundred years.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,994 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Doomsday doesnt worry me, unless I survive then I would be in deep ****.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hopefully not in our life time...

Well maybe near the end of mine.. That would be ok. ;)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#7    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,703 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Who cares as long as the Bar stays open.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#8    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 07 April 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Something I don't worry about.  Today is good, that is all I need. Tomorrow, a rock might fall from the sky take me out. Oh well, tt was fun while it lasted.

I see but what if something happens in next 5 minutes? Quake, asteroid, explosion of any kind? It can happen anytime anywhere...

That is why i am starting to understand the nature of preppers.

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

#9    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Personally, I think we have slowly been in the midst of a on-going 'doomsday' that seems to just carry on from day to day. So slow that we do not -see it- happening all at once.
It could be very well possible that there will come a time to when we will wish that everything did end in one big swoop.
We have good days. We have bad days. But I think as a whole, that everything we have come to know has already changed enough to make us expect a 'lesser standard' of living.

'Remember the days when you could leave your front door unlocked?'
"Yeah. Now, I just have to make sure that I lock my smartphone."

I realise that because we are Humans, we have this adopted thinking of 'It's all gonna end one day.' We often expect the worse, dwell on it and forget that we can actually -try- to make it better. For me, in this regard, that is why I think that we are already in the 'doomsday' stages because our light of 'hope' is fading.

Kind Regards

:tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#10    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well said Asadora. Well said.

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#11    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,760 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

We expect that the Sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years. As a result it will expand and swallow the inner planets, Mercury and Venus. However the Suns expansion will also result in an expansion of the Earths orbit, and it has not been conclusively determined if the diameter of the Sun will reached the Earths new orbit.

Having said that, we will have still reached the end of the world with regard to its ability to sustain life.

THAT is the end of the world.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#12    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

The Doomsday argument, as suggested by the article, does not say that humanity cannot or will not exist indefinitely. It does not put any upper limit on the number of humans that will ever exist, nor provide a date for when humanity will become extinct.
An abbreviated form of the argument does make these claims, by confusing probability with certainty. However, the actual DA's conclusion is: There is a 95% chance of extinction within 9,120 years. Still a while to go and by then who knows if we have not already left this puny planet and settled elsewhere.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

There are certainly many ways for humanity to suffer a fatal or near fatal blow. Wether we are wiped out by a gamma ray burst or merely devolve into anarchy. They thing that is new in some ways is the continual mention of this. Last night I was a restaurant and on a television over the bar was an entire hour show about this very subject. There were asteroids falling, super-volcanos erupting, diseases escaping and on and on. It makes me wonder if the media does not attempt to keep up in a state of perpetual fear (or on the flip side perpetually entertained with Glee and Dances with the Stars, etc.) so we don't notice the real trouble our country and the world is in: debt up to our eyeballs, lackluster leadership and out of control spending.

Of course there is that little hand-granade with the bad haircut over in N. Korea........

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Here we go again.

#15    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip