Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Plants can be altruistic

plants altruistic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 41,351 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

We’ve all heard examples of animal altruism: Dogs caring for orphaned kittens, chimps sharing food or dolphins nudging injured mates to the surface. Now, a study led by the University of Colorado Boulder suggests some plants are altruistic too.

Posted Image

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

• 3,237 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

i keep saying that in the future we will learn the plants are really more alive then we think.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the thread! I enjoyed the article and learned something I did not know much about before, so thank you for that as well.  :)
Kind Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#4    Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,595 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Some plants I have put together, definetly don't grow well. Dug them up and placed them with others and lo-and-behold they grow gloriously. Plants are awesome!

Posted Image

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,932 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

There was no altruism there, indeed the opposite.  When we behave in such a way as to optimize the passing of our genes to the next generation, that is normal selective behavior, and that is what these seeds were doing.

The dog adopting the kitten may be altruism, although other explanations readily come to mine (like it notices that master approves and dog's just love getting master's approval).

Let us say you are the commander of a spaceship and get a distress call from an alien spaceship, of a species unknown.  That you will take considerable risk and go to its assistance is true altruism.  You share no genes whatever.

View PostMistydawn, on 03 February 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Some plants I have put together, definetly don't grow well. Dug them up and placed them with others and lo-and-behold they grow gloriously. Plants are awesome!
Some plants put out chemicals to do in the other plants nearby.

#6    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Plants communicate. That fact tells all.

Second, altruism is against theory of evolution as it is now.

And third is rather a question. Do you think that scientists can geneticly modified plants so that they for example spread roots in desert or even on ice polar caps?
Is it possible to modify plants geneticly so that we can change their color, how they multiply themselves.
As I understand plants live from sun and water. They dont need oxygen, they produce it. Is it possible that GMO plant could once day grew on moon?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

Also tagged with plants, altruistic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users