Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Roswell UFO Was Not Of This Earth

• Please log in to reply
596 replies to this topic

#526    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 23 July 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Occam seems to have run out of things to say after calling me a Walter Mitty type.  For those who haven't read the James Thurber story, the 1947 movie starring Danny Kaye is considered the classic version.

Posted Image

And this was Mrs. Eunice Mitty.

Posted Image

Whenever she starts talking, poor Walter just checks out of reality again, but I don't think that my situation is similar.

Oh, I forgot to mention. You're being very defensive MacG. Whats the famous quote, it's something like: "methinks the chap protesteth too much".

#527    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 22 July 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Poor, misnamed Occam.  You really want to know something, do you?  You aren't content to be just a small part of the Friday Night Smackdown audience?  If you want to know where the ETs are, they're all around us, but you won't know it unless they want you to.

Posted Image

Oh dear. I really touched a nerve didn't I, hit the nail right on the head. Sorry MacG you've been rumbled, someone had to say it.

#528    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostHDesiato, on 23 July 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Wow, 35 pages! Not reading past the OP ibut my first inclination was to look up Brandon Chase and quickly found he has authored a Sci Fi book.
Not being cynical, just realistic.
No idea what the gist of this tome of a thread contains but I can imagine.

Whitley Streiber is a fiction writer too isn't he.

#529    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostLilly, on 22 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

On a website entitled "Unexplained Mysteries" there's bound to be discussion that can't be proven...and that's a *fact*.

That is the most factual thing I've ever read on here.

#530    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Its a space craft its a balloon no its a UFO no its a weather balloon blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, lets just call it a draw.   :alien:

#531    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,309 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 28 July 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Its a space craft its a balloon no its a UFO no its a weather balloon blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, lets just call it a draw.   :alien:

In my honest opinion, I don't think we need to call it anything but unexplained.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#532    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Im with Badeskov`s on this one Guys ! I was out there a few years ago and all I saw was Dirt !

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#533    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostOccams Razor, on 28 July 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

Whitley Streiber is a fiction writer too isn't he.

True, he wrote: "The Hunger", and "Wolfen". He wrote other well known books listed as non fiction.
The Post Modernist pov is at odds with the Materialist.
Personally, I gave up halfway through book 3.

Edited by HDesiato, 28 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#534    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 24 July 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

A fictional account of historical events is a 'what if' story.  
The juxtuposition of a Sci Fi story onto a true story, incorporating the popular conspiracy theory, creates an illusion of credibility.

Yes it does. The book I suggested to MacG (B006HFTX0K) is a reasonable example of this. It's an action adventure UFO novel that mentions Roswell and Rendlesham and other "factual" conspiracy theory type events, and the book hints that it may be a true story. I think it's a good yarn, nothing more, just another in a long line of good fanciful UFO yarns, many of which are put forward as truth. But the big difference is, this one is sold as a novel, it doesn't claim to be true. Whitley Strieber did a similar thing with 'Majestic', a "fictional" account of the Roswell story.

I have little doubt that if the author had put it out there as a true story there would have been people on here saying they were "in the know" about that night in the UK in 1991. That's life in the conspiracy theory world, lots of 'Walter Mittys'.

Edited by Occams Razor, 29 July 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#535    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostHDesiato, on 28 July 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

True, he wrote: "The Hunger", and "Wolfen". He wrote other well known books listed as non fiction.
The Post Modernist pov is at odds with the Materialist.
Personally, I gave up halfway through book 3.

I thought it curious that in the movie of the book 'Communion' supposedly a "true story", Strieber tells the tale of him being abducted by aliens that appear as small Gothic type critters and is taken aboard a spacecraft that looks, on the inside, like a Gothic dungeon, to be examined! Good stuff, but not a huge leap from the Gothic horror stuff he had previously written as fiction. He explained this as his subconscious memories of his previous alien abduction experiences manifesting themselves as Gothic fiction. Good one Whitley.

Edited by Occams Razor, 29 July 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#536    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

[Streiber

Subconscious communicates in symbols and I think if he really believes his story this is just his perception and doesn't make the interpretation true but he managed to create an alien conspiracy myth.

Everything in life is really part of myth or a truth mixed with misperceptions or lies.

The real truth is usually stranger than fiction. The one who tells a lie weaves facts into it to make the lie part believable. A mystery comes when a person experiences something that they or their science can not explain and they search for an answer with only what they can comprehend. Just because we have not shared that experience doesn't make it a total falsehood. We can learn from others and their myths. We also learn from conflicting points of view. This is essentially good because it can help us to question why we believe and get rid of our own misconceptions :)

Searching myths is part of finding answers. Just like a scientist seeks facts and creates theories. There is some truth in every myth or theory but only when they all unify together is there real truth.  It is personal or shared experiences that lead to discoveries of real truth and we should welcome all of them as a learning experience.

It's like science may "prove" a theory but over time it is later "proved" incomplete or wrong. A lot of myths, religions, conspiracy theories and even science is based on belief of a lot of propaganda.To sift through it for the threads of hidden truth on which their  belief is based is a method we can use to expand our own perception of the truth.

Forums are good for that :)

#537    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

“Those who invalidate reason ought seriously to consider whether they argue against reason with or without reason; if with reason, then they establish the principles that they are laboring to dethrone: but if they argue without reason (which, in order to be consistent with themselves they must do), they are out of reach of rational conviction, nor do they deserve a rational argument.”
- Ethan Allen

#538    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,639 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

I Love "Ethan Allen`s" work ! We have a few of there pieces in the house ! Great post HDeslato !

This is a Work in Progress!

#539    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 29 July 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

I Love "Ethan Allen`s" work ! We have a few of there pieces in the house ! Great post HDeslato !

St Carl quotes EA in "The Demon Haunted World".

#540    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostOccams Razor, on 27 July 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Oh dear. I really touched a nerve didn't I, hit the nail right on the head. Sorry MacG you've been rumbled, someone had to say it.

I'm not here to "rumble" with you.  I stand by everything I've said on here and other threads, and that's all I can do.  If you choose to disbelieve it, I can't control that.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 31 July 2012 - 02:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users