Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

So, how would you conduct sighting interviews

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

As either a skeptic or believer or even a "I do not believe bigfoot exists. Period."

We've watched or read how the famous "interview" eye-witnesses, how would you do it?
Would you consider interviewing witnesses in all/any geographic areas and even old accounts (15+years)?
Would any pre-sighting prior belief in bigfoot, of the witness, weigh-in for you at all?
I think it would be fun and interesting, if done thoroughly but with respect to the witness. Not because I think I would be swayed but to get to the bottom of sightings more thoroughly than I have ever seen or read.

Some things I would focus on:
1. gut feeling toward witness (not always reliable, but unavoidable nonetheless, imo)

2. prior belief on bigfoot of witness (thorough questioning on where they stood and why before their sighting)

3. background of witness (i'd even talk to friends and relatives)

4. sighting distance, obstructions, weather, speed of witness or bigfoot, length of sighting

5. mindset at sighting time...daydreaming?...falling asleep?...excitable teenager? hunting bigfoot? after hearing a strange sound that raised their "fear factor"?

6. reinactment (to judge details of their recollection)

7. if recent or repeated sighting- check for physical evidence. Where nearby is this giant creature making a home for itself?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

Bigfoot is definitely in the eye of the beholder!

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,958 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Questions to add to the above......

How much had you been drinking?
What had you been smoking?
How much money do you hope to make from this?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,851 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I would be very tempted to run the interviews with the interviewee attached to a polygraph... I would never let them know what the findings of the PG were, and I would treat everyone the exact same so far as questions asked, tone, etc...

I realise that polygraphs are considered 'not 100% accurate', and if a person honestly believes they saw something, it would record as 'truthful', even if it wasn't... But it would certainly screen out the total BS'rs...

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

View Postealdwita, on 09 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Questions to add to the above......

How much had you been drinking?
What had you been smoking?
How much money do you hope to make from this?

Very good questions, actually. That's why i'd interview friends and family and get some background on the witness.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,583 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Q: So, how would you conduct sighting interviews
A: With a straight jacket

budum'ch

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostOverSword, on 09 April 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Q: So, how would you conduct sighting interviews
A: With a straight jacket

budum'ch

For whom? You or the witness?

budum'ch

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Water board them, that always gets you the truth.

#8    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I think I would proceed with an interview like this with the most stripped-down, fact-based questions regarding setting, what was seen, prior activities of the day, prior beliefs/interests in bigfoot, and whether or not the witness was under the influence of any substances.

Then I'd ask for a narrative statement from the eyewitness from the beginning of the encounter to the end.  I'd compare this with the questions already asked to check for consistency.  Then I'd interview the individual's cohorts (if applicable) and check for consistency in that as well.

Of course I'd ask for any photos or video, hair, scat, sound recordings, etc....that the individual may have generated during the encounter.  These would also be analyzed  for consistency with the narratives of the witnesses.

I think I would approach it by trying to keep any assumptions on the existence OR non-existence of bigfoot out of it.  I would be interested in gathering as much OBJECTIVE information as possible.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#9    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

:lol:  When I read the title I thought we were being asked to have an imaginary interview with Bigfoot him/her self!! :hmm:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 09 April 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

:lol:  When I read the title I thought we were being asked to have an imaginary interview with Bigfoot him/her self!! :hmm:

That would be the ultimate goal, yes! :tu:

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostFstop, on 09 April 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I think I would proceed with an interview like this with the most stripped-down, fact-based questions regarding setting, what was seen, prior activities of the day, prior beliefs/interests in bigfoot, and whether or not the witness was under the influence of any substances.

Then I'd ask for a narrative statement from the eyewitness from the beginning of the encounter to the end.  I'd compare this with the questions already asked to check for consistency.  Then I'd interview the individual's cohorts (if applicable) and check for consistency in that as well.

Of course I'd ask for any photos or video, hair, scat, sound recordings, etc....that the individual may have generated during the encounter.  These would also be analyzed  for consistency with the narratives of the witnesses.

I think I would approach it by trying to keep any assumptions on the existence OR non-existence of bigfoot out of it.  I would be interested in gathering as much OBJECTIVE information as possible.

Agreed, objectivity. Despite what some might think, I believe I could be very objective. Just because I'd want to do my best to "see" what they saw, if that makes any sense to anyone?

#12    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'd also check any other sighting reports in the area, historical to present-day.
Talk to any local forest rangers or hunters or parks and wildlife if applicable.
I'd also talk to the locals in general to see what the bigfoot "vibe" and if any, rumor is in the area.
Speak to local biologists or visit a local zoos to look at local wildlife.
I'd familiarize myself with the local wildlife.

#13    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,720 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

• Eliminate improbable suspects
  • Develop possible suspects or leads
  • Increase the investigators' mental confidence in identifying truthful or guilty suspects through the interview process
  • Identify proper interrogation strategies

• Step 1 - Direct Confrontation. Lead the witness to understand that the evidence has led the investigators to  the individual as a suspect. Offer the person an early opportunity to explain why the sighting took place.
  • Step 2 - Try to shift the blame away from the suspect to some other animal / person or set of circumstances that prompted the claim. That is, develop themes containing reasons that will justify or excuse the claim. Themes may be developed or changed to find one to which the claiment is most responsive.
  • Step 3 - Try to discourage the suspect from denying his guilt. Reid training video: "If you’ve let him talk and say the words ‘I didn’t do it’[...]the more difficult it is to get a confession."

• Step 4 - At this point, the claiment  will often give a reason why he or she did see a Bigfoot. Try to use this to move towards the truth

• Step 5 - Reinforce sincerity to ensure that the claiment is receptive.

• Step 6 - The claiment will become quieter and listen. Move the theme discussion towards offering alternatives. If the suspect cries at this point, infer fabricating a story.

• Step 7 - Pose the “alternative question”, giving two choices for what happened; one more socially acceptable than the other. The claiment is expected to choose the easier option but whichever alternative the suspect chooses, guilt is admitted to a fabricated story. There is always a third option which is to maintain that they did see a Bigfoot.

• Step 8 - Lead the suspect to repeat the admission fabricating in front of witnesses and develop corroborating information to establish the validity of the confession.
  • Step 9 - Document the suspect's admission and have him or her prepare a recorded statement (audio, video or written).

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 April 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

• Step 1 - Direct Confrontation. Lead the witness to understand that the evidence has led the investigators to  the individual as a suspect. Offer the person an early opportunity to explain why the sighting took place.

Interesting, wanting the witness to explain Why the sighting took place?
Get the witness to explain a big part of what I, the investigator, am trying to find out: The "Why".  (this follows also since I don't believe in the existence of bigfoot)
I like it. Get them to dig into their own sighting a bit more, do some thinking on the sighting. Rather than just the What:  "It happened, this is what I saw".

Are these criminal investigation techniques?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 April 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#15    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,720 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 09 April 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Are these criminal investigation techniques?

Yes.....Google was my friend here :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users