Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Aliens...Yes again

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostDBunker, on 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Then maybe you should have dropped the "I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated"  stuff.
All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

#17    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yeah, well people usually don't even read 1 line of a post that contradicts what they believe, they usually just try to make a point to just try and discredit the post like DBunker did.

Discredit!!!???

You were the one setting up rules on how we could answer!!

Edited by DBunker, 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#18    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

Who in their right mind would try and debunk the possibilitys of life in the universe!!??

Maybe someone is jumping the gun a little here?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#19    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostDBunker, on 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Discredit!!!???

You were the one setting up rules on how we could answer!!
*Sigh* I never said you HAD to respond a certain way and if you read my response to you in the first page you will see I said that if you do, you can expect a response dripping in sarcasm.

#20    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostDBunker, on 06 February 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Who in their right mind would try and debunk the possibilitys of life in the universe!!??

Maybe someone is jumping the gun a little here?
I've seen people try and do it. Hard to believe but yes, people have tried.

#21    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I've seen people try and do it. Hard to believe but yes, people have tried.

There seem to be no limit to the silliness some people will believe.

Oh, and welcome to UM.

#22    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Rough welcoming but thnx lol

#23    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,483 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets  found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

The way science uses the term habitable doesn't mean that life could live on said habitable planet. The scientific definition of habitable just means that the planet is in a general area around it's sun where liquid water could be present.

In astronomy and astrobiology, habitable zone (more accurately, circumstellar habitable zone or CHZ) is the scientific term for the region around a star within which it is theoretically possible for a planet with sufficient atmospheric pressure to maintain liquid water on its surface

http://en.wikipedia..../Habitable_zone

That being said, the billions of habitable planets isn't a very good indication of just which planets actually harbor life. All it does is increase the odds of life being present elsewhere. I think there is a very good chance that life exists somewhere out there however even with something like probability there are no guarantees. Currently we don't know quite enough to be able to say with certainty that life exists beyond Earth. It's certainly not a 'fact' as some would claim.

Welcome to UM by the way, it can be a little rough around here at times however if you can stick it out there is a lot of information to be gleaned from a wide variety of members. I still learn something new nearly every day around here. :tu:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#24    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yes, habitable may not %100 mean it could harbour life but I also stated that we shouldn't just be looking for life with our makeup either. With that in mind ANY planet with an atmosphere could harbour life.

Also I like that my welcoming was rough, shows that people are passionate for what they believe in.

#25    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,483 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Furthermore, there is a difference between a habitable planet and an Earth-like planet.

A terrestrial planet, telluric planet or rocky planet is a planet that is composed primarily of silicaterocks or metals. Within the Solar System, the terrestrial planets are the inner planets closest to the Sun. The terms are derived from Latin words for Earth (Terra and Tellus), as these planets are, in terms of composition, "Earth-like".

http://en.wikipedia....restrial_planet

Our solar system actually has 4 Earth-like planets, Mercury Venus, Earth and Mars.

It may seem like semantics however I think the distinction is important to maintain between "Habitable" and "Earth-like" as those terms seem to get mixed together often. They aren't mutually exclusive however they aren't mutually inclusive either.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#26    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,793 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've looked though some of the past threads based around the possibility of Extraterrestrial Life but from what I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make, now I would have posted it in those threads but they have since been locked so here it is:

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

I wanna keep this post short so I'll just post the main points in this

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets  found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

Recently on Earth micro organisms we found to be living off of carbon dioxide. So who is to say that else where in the universe there isn't other life living off the same chemicals??

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there,

Anyway guys I think I've taken up enough of your time, so have at it.
Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.
I agree with all of this, but none of what you have put is  news to us who do believe in other life forms out there.

'just not life with our make-up.  "    this is pretty obvious.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#27    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

rereading I think i understand what you want, you do not want people to agree with you, you want people to debunk it?
I do not debunk it, but do not agree that its your idea, " I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make,"

But, we are on the same belief here, so carry on. :tu:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#28    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

rereading I think i understand what you want, you do not want people to agree with you, you want people to debunk it?
I do not debunk it, but do not agree that its your idea, " I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make,"

But, we are on the same belief here, so carry on. :tu:
I constantly meet people (online or real life) who don't think life could possibily exist outside of Earth (some people on here as well, judging by comments I've read on other threads). I'm just posting this to prove that it is almost guaranteed that alien life exist.
By almost I mean 99.9999999999999999% chance it does exist.

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,793 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I constantly meet people (online or real life) who don't think life could possibily exist outside of Earth (some people on here as well, judging by comments I've read on other threads). I'm just posting this to prove that it is almost guaranteed that alien life exist.
By almost I mean 99.9999999999999999% chance it does exist.
haha, agree with you, but trying to convince those who do not believe is like throwing a bubble against someones head, they never get it.

#30    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

I wanna keep this post short so I'll just post the main points in this

your words ! i have read or heard them before .. i wonder who it was ,, i dont remember that guys name.. its a japanese guy . ah what was his name again ,,   he got a phd in uhhh ahh i dont remember ...
yeah i m sure he said those words..
however i agree .with you 100% we are not alone in this universe ,  and i m sure we have been visited :D
now sit back . open a heineken beer , and wait till they say HELLO .. cheers aliens

ahh i found him dr michio kaku its really is intresting :D    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pw13F7ahjY

Edited by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe, 06 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users