Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Convicted Teen Killer Passes Polygraph Test

teen killer; polygraph;

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostHilander, on 13 January 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I think convicting someone entirely on circumstantial evidence makes it too likely you will send innocent people to prison.  I would prefer they get the real criminal.

I don't think the polygraph test is reliable enough even for the police to use in an investigation.  Too much room for human error and false results.

Authorities should know how to use the poly while understanding the limitation, yet I've heard it said "suspect cleared by poly" and I've seen that same statement written in documents in police files.
It's stunning.
I've seen it in plenty of cold cases that the guilty indeed passed a poly...or that's how the poly was apparently interpreted at the time, anyway...

I didn't like the way one of the articles on this case described the evidence in the trial as "purely circumstantial."
Re: direct vs. circumstantial evidence, it depends on what the evidence is.... how much weight the evidence has depends on what it is.
An eyewitness statement is direct evidence, but if it comes from a jail house snitch, then credibility is a serious issue and that evidence might not have much weight, if any. (Innocent people have gone to prison on direct evidence such as eyewitness statements.)
To say purely circumstantial sounds as though circumstantial evidence carries less weight than direct evidence and as illustrated above, that's simply not true.
Maybe it was the commentator's opinion that there wasn't much evidence, period, but that's an entirely different statement.

I've been reading more articles on this case, and so far, I'm not convinced the conviction was wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users