Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOs sighted over New Zealand

Saru

Several witnesses observed up to five objects over the country's Rotorua and Bay of Plenty regions.

During a number of separate sightings this month a rural Rotorua resident filmed what he described as a "blinking ufo object and big bright sphere object" as well as a "bright light ufo, strange skies ufo and fireballs".

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Lots of people capturing strange things with night vision equipment.

Several witnesses observed up to five objects over the country's Rotorua and Bay of Plenty regions.

Not terribly compelling footage I must say; interesting though how many of these night vision videos we are seeing now. Can this be done with an ordinary DVD Cam?

• Like 1

Not terribly compelling footage I must say; interesting though how many of these night vision videos we are seeing now. Can this be done with an ordinary DVD Cam?

Not if you're left-handed.

• Like 1

Interesting.. I wasn't aware the flap was still on-going...

Some of the footage looks like satellites to me... *shrugs* but as I know we've been having a lot of sightings of late I'm not rulling it out as possibly genuine..

We've had a lot of sightings this year, I think it began in March, and is on-going. Is interesting because since they showed up there's also been an increase in volcanic activity in and around the central North Island. Mount Tongariro has erupted twice now, Ruaphehu is starting to rumble again, Tarawera/rotorua is all part of the same hot-spot, as is super volcano Taupo..

Being familiar with Lake Tawawera i can tell you that on hot days boats on the far side of the lake appear to be floating quite high above the lake in the heat haze. But only if viewed from lake level, not from the surrounding hills/mountains.

But the other discriptions of UFO's remind me of the Kaikoura UFO that was filmed by a current affiars show in 1978

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q3iq4R8MgM[/media]

Edited by Professor Buzzkill

Made an account just to comment.

The statement about the glowing orbs floating across a street, is almost exactly the same as an encounter I had about 10 years ago now.

Im from New Zealand and my sighting was almost identical but the orb was blue And floated out from behind some trees and across a road in front of us.

• Like 1

@prof do you beleive that there is connection between natural phenomenon and UFOs?

I think so..

I think they are showing interest in what is happening as opposed to actually creating these geological events though.. As you know from another thread, I follow and have been following earthquakes & volcanic events for years. It's curious these guy's show up when and where they do, and usually over known fault lines & geothermal areas.

Made an account just to comment.

The statement about the glowing orbs floating across a street, is almost exactly the same as an encounter I had about 10 years ago now.

Im from New Zealand and my sighting was almost identical but the orb was blue And floated out from behind some trees and across a road in front of us.

Hi, Welcome to UM..

Your Blue UFO interests me.. It wasn't in Taranaki was it?

Edited by Professor T

I think so..

I think they are showing interest in what is happening as opposed to actually creating these geological events though..

Hi, Welcome to UM..

Your Blue UFO interests me.. It wasn't in Taranaki was it?

It was in the Waikato countryside, the backroads near Miranda

• Like 1

It was in the Waikato countryside, the backroads near Miranda

Cool.. Click goes my theory again, lol, I didn't know there were geothermal hot-springs there.. I thought the nearest might have been Waingaro.. so, was this UFO, kind of light blue? and strangely difficult to determine it's outline?

Interesting.. I wasn't aware the flap was still on-going...

Some of the footage looks like satellites to me... *shrugs* but as I know we've been having a lot of sightings of late I'm not rulling it out as possibly genuine..

I have to agree, they look an awful lot like satellites. Maybe even this The ISS has been in the vicinity in similar time frames.

We've had a lot of sightings this year, I think it began in March, and is on-going. Is interesting because since they showed up there's also been an increase in volcanic activity in and around the central North Island. Mount Tongariro has erupted twice now, Ruaphehu is starting to rumble again, Tarawera/rotorua is all part of the same hot-spot, as is super volcano Taupo..

Was my first thought as well, earth-lights are strongly associated with Volcanic activity, but these look like satellites, maybe some earth-lights sparked some imaginations?

I just hope it's quiet and draws some tourism in, after Christchurch you guys have had more than your fair share of late. I hope it becomes a blessing is disguise, and not another disaster.

What has me wondering is that the Bay and Rotorua are hardly on the same border. That would indicate satellites I would think.

Edited by psyche101

Cool.. Click goes my theory again, lol, I didn't know there were geothermal hot-springs there.. I thought the nearest might have been Waingaro.. so, was this UFO, kind of light blue? and strangely difficult to determine it's outline?

Yes there are geothermal springs in Miranda, Seems alot of sightings congregate near these areas.

The light was a very bright blue like a police car light.We considered that there might be a police car in the distance but as we got nearer it was a blue orb and it was floating gracefully behind a group of trees in a paddock.

The light moved out from behind the trees and actually came along side the car before taking off at an extremely fast speed leaving a strange blur of light behind it which may have just been the effect of such a bright object on the eyes.

• Like 1

I had one on the South island not all that long ago, higher up though, and fast moving. Bluish white to brilliant white, short duration.

• Like 1

I have to agree, they look an awful lot like satellites. Maybe even this The ISS has been in the vicinity in similar time frames.

Was my first thought as well, earth-lights are strongly associated with Volcanic activity, but these look like satellites, maybe some earth-lights sparked some imaginations?

I just hope it's quiet and draws some tourism in, after Christchurch you guys have had more than your fair share of late. I hope it becomes a blessing is disguise, and not another disaster.

What has me wondering is that the Bay and Rotorua are hardly on the same border. That would indicate satellites I would think.

Yeah, I quess there are a lot of sightings that can be easily dismissed as ISS or other satellites.. But without pulling them over and having a look under the hood we're still going to have to call them unexplained, or debate it till the cows come home. Curiously enough, they changed the ISS orbit in june or july enabling some great viewings of it in the early evenings down here. but given that we mostly enjoy very little light pollution outside of the cities we're pretty ignorant to what is a satellite and what isn't.. Hell, I know people who point at Venus and say "isn't that a bright satellite"

Earth Lights? No, I don't think so.. I can't think of any places in NZ that have Earthlights.

Here's just some of the sightings in NZ this year.. (not all of these can be easily dismissed as satellites)

I know it's not all of them because mine isn't even on the site, and they've had it for near 2 months..

http://www.ufocusnz.org.nz/content/New-Zealand-UFO-Sightings-2012/133.aspx

I had one on the South island not all that long ago, higher up though, and fast moving. Bluish white to brilliant white, short duration.

Where was your sighting?

• Like 1

Yeah, I quess there are a lot of sightings that can be easily dismissed as ISS or other satellites.. But without pulling them over and having a look under the hood we're still going to have to call them unexplained, or debate it till the cows come home. Curiously enough, they changed the ISS orbit in june or july enabling some great viewings of it in the early evenings down here. but given that we mostly enjoy very little light pollution outside of the cities we're pretty ignorant to what is a satellite and what isn't.. Hell, I know people who point at Venus and say "isn't that a bright satellite"

And or Iridium Flares. Quite noticeable items those.

Yes, indeed, we could be seeing some space junk, there is plenty up there, and I think from time to time some of it might "clump" together as trash does in water. And then come apart. If it was an alien spacecraft though, it would eventually move on, or we would identify it. As you know I have much faith in amateur astronomy, and if the X 37B can be visually tracked, I am sure one fo these could be. Not to mention no space source has indicated any notable bodies entering the system, which would be a strong indicator. But that's the thing with ET/UFO's. With all the claims of alien's piloting these tings, not one has ever been tracked entering or leaving the atmosphere that so much as indicates a direction, which the WOW! signal did. That is one reason why I find the WOW! signal the best possibility to date. And that I strongly believe communications will precede physical travel.

Earth Lights? No, I don't think so.. I can't think of any places in NZ that have Earthlights.

I have a feeling they are pretty abundant over there as they are well known to concentrate at Volcanic and tectonic events, the Piezo theory. I thought that might have been what you were referring to when you said:

I think they are showing interest in what is happening as opposed to actually creating these geological events though.. As you know from another thread, I follow and have been following earthquakes & volcanic events for years. It's curious these guy's show up when and where they do, and usually over known fault lines & geothermal areas.

Here's just some of the sightings in NZ this year.. (not all of these can be easily dismissed as satellites)

I know it's not all of them because mine isn't even on the site, and they've had it for near 2 months..

http://www.ufocusnz....s-2012/133.aspx

Now that is interesting.

I must have a closer look. It might be my precursory glance, but I noticed that North Island Sightings tend to be Orange/Red/Yellow. While South Island sightings tend to favour the Blue/White light.

If that is correct, I think it might be highly significant.

Where was your sighting?

Late January last year, Queenstown, late at night, it traveled parallel to the approach pattern to the airport. My place in Queenstown face The Remarkables, offering a right angle (pretty much) to the airports flight path, which is restricted by the mountains themselves. I reported it to NARCAP but they do not have a presence in New Zealand. Tod Roe is a decent chap though I have to say. Blue/white giving way to pure white and appeared to break up, yet travelled horizontally. My wife was my only corroborating witness. We saw it, looked at each other and said "Did you just see that????" I would only be guessing the size, but at arms length it would have been roughly from the tip of my thumbnail to the middle of my thumb, half the width and had to be somewhere between 6-10 KM's from my vantage point. Queenstown is 2,000 meters above sea level as well. I figure it was probably about 200m above the regular flight path.

But I am more than certain what I viewed was a natural phenomena. The vicinity to the Airport I find the most alarming aspect.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Night vision really distorts perception as has been demostrated in other threads.

For the most part, I don't find them very compelling either, with so many pieces of "junk" up there, and night vision can make tiny light sources look huge.

Not sure if it's available with DVD. It must be readily available, because I had a Sony Camcorder about 10 years ago that could do it.

Damn thing's an antique now. Still have it...don't know why it's broken an been in a box for years.

That is one reason why I find the WOW! signal the best possibility to date. And that I strongly believe communications will precede physical travel.

just picking up on a remark here, if no one minds me interloping; that assumes that they (any ET race that might be exploring round this way) knows that this Planet is inhabited by a, sometimes, intelligent species, and that they'd then want to communicate with them. isn't it a basic scientific principle not to interfere with the subject that you're researching, and to do it discreetly? And that's assuming that they specifically wanted tio study us; what if they didn't even know for sure if there was (sometimes) intelligent life, and they just sent out a signal, or sent out probes, speculatively?

• Like 1

just picking up on a remark here, if no one minds me interloping; that assumes that they (any ET race that might be exploring round this way) knows that this Planet is inhabited by a, sometimes, intelligent species, and that they'd then want to communicate with them. isn't it a basic scientific principle not to interfere with the subject that you're researching, and to do it discreetly? And that's assuming that they specifically wanted tio study us; what if they didn't even know for sure if there was (sometimes) intelligent life, and they just sent out a signal, or sent out probes, speculatively?

The probes idea is feasible.

I've read about this somewhere. We could send out probes with a programmed agenda...to explore and send back data. Their first priority is to search for planets where they can replicate themselves, and their numbers grow exponentially over time.

It's a "techie" version of panspermia.

just picking up on a remark here, if no one minds me interloping;

Not at all on my behalf.

that assumes that they (any ET race that might be exploring round this way) knows that this Planet is inhabited by a, sometimes, intelligent species,

Yes indeed, considering our forays into extrasolar planets, and the magnificent success we are experiencing in it's infancy, I do not understand why the planets lighting, radio signals, orbital debris and probes from activities by NASA and the ESA would not indicate such powerfully.

and that they'd then want to communicate with them.

Yes you have a point, but is curious enough to hide here for 60+ years one wonders what the draw card is if not intelligence. I really doubt rocky earth like planets are incredibly rare seeming as we have found some ourselves.

isn't it a basic scientific principle not to interfere with the subject that you're researching, and to do it discreetly?

No. Instead of thinking of Star Treks Prime directive, or us trying to capture animal habits such as predation or general behaviour, which the purpose of is not to disturb the animal so we have an accurate record of it's natural behaviours, but think more of Columbus and Cook. There was no stealth or such involved in first contact with intelligent species in our history. And all our efforts, like SETI are actively trying to make contact with advanced species. The Voyager probes had those classy Golden Records on them. When it comes to observing instinctual species one must hide, or we disturb the natural process and we do not learn. With intelligent species, we can just go up and ask, and perhaps even compare our evolutionary records.

I think cultures would be much more of a stumbling block. We canot agree across seas. Christians, Muslims, Republicans, Cats and Dog's living together.

And that's assuming that they specifically wanted tio study us; what if they didn't even know for sure if there was (sometimes) intelligent life, and they just sent out a signal, or sent out probes, speculatively?

If an advance species I honestly do not know how they could be flying blind. If we can not only see, but photograph this much:

aeh.jpg

And OK, the planet is 8 times the size of Jupiter, however, this is an image, a photo, not an artists impression, not an extrapolation, not wobble. This is the real deal. How much further away are images like this:

iss-video-earth-at-night.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

Maybe next week, maybe never. But we are following this path, would it not make sense for others to consider this path? It does seem a viable option?

And if not wanting to study us, the other popular option is settle the planet, in which case we might not get too much of a say in anything. I refuse the "ant analogy" I do not believe intelligence is seen in the respect by another intelligent species, no matter how supposedly advanced.

Edited by psyche101

The probes idea is feasible.

I've read about this somewhere. We could send out probes with a programmed agenda...to explore and send back data. Their first priority is to search for planets where they can replicate themselves, and their numbers grow exponentially over time.

It's a "techie" version of panspermia.

That would be these beasties.

Von Neumann probes