Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

IRS Admits to targeting

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

"Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Tea Party of the United States?"

I can see it now .....

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

I fully see the injustice of special scrutiny if your politics differs from that of those in power, but why should it make a difference?  Surely they are all obeying the law?

#18    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,122 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

I fully see the injustice of special scrutiny if your politics differs from that of those in power, but why should it make a difference?  Surely they are all obeying the law?

It made a huge difference, as these groups were denied tax exempt status that was given to organizations on the "other side" of the political fence... And these organizations had to spend their time and resources on audit after audit - which is no pleasant thing let me assure you!... Then "Miraculously" a month or so AFTER the election, they are granted their status, and told they had no discrepancies...

What's next?.. Arresting members of the Tea Party without cause and holding them under suspicion until after the election?...  Surely there is no problem if they did this is there? I mean Surely they are obeying the law so what do they have to worry about...  Do you see the problem with your statement Frank?...

Edited by Taun, 12 May 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#19    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Doesn't come as much of a surprise to me.. :no:

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

If they were obeying the law and got their exemption taken away regardless, then sue.  If on the other hand the IRS was right and they weren't obeying the law, then what right have they to complain?  I don't see why Congress should be involved unless its just politics.

#21    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Frank, trust that you wouldn't be happy if you lived here and one year the IRS started targeting only Vietnamese people. Regardless if you're following the rules, dealing with the IRS is time consuming and stressful especially if they're dicking you around on purpose for an indefinite amount of time.

Posted Image

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

You bet I wouldn't be happy; but that isn't relevant.  Try to get at the point I'm making.

#23    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not relevant? It's a perfect comparison. You implied it should be no big deal, unless it affects you apparently. The organizations shouldn't have to sue or waste any more of their time on this crap. You're trying to spin this into a positive light for the IRS. They admitted they screwed up. You're not allowed to do these things here. What they'll never admit is who told them to do what they did but regardless it was wrong.

Posted Image

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Its a tremendous deal; look at all the headlines.  You have to understand that I believe in the party and country I live in, besides being a Buddhist.  I think two-party systems are inherently corrupt and this is an example.  However, I was reluctant to be so blunt as to spell it out.

#25    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 May 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Its a tremendous deal; look at all the headlines.  You have to understand that I believe in the party and country I live in, besides being a Buddhist.  I think two-party systems are inherently corrupt and this is an example.  However, I was reluctant to be so blunt as to spell it out.
I got that part. I didn't get this part...

but why should it make a difference? Surely they are all obeying the law?

Posted Image

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Probably they were, but laws are interpretable, and the IRS seems to have been interpreting it in favor of the Democrats in taking away those exemptions.

#27    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

If it were just a small number of employees, she said, "then you would think that the high-level IRS supervisors would have rushed to make this public, fired the employees involved, apologized to the American people and informed Congress. None of that happened in a timely way."
The IRS said Friday that it was sorry for what it called the "inappropriate" targeting of the conservative groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status. The agency blamed low-level employees, saying no high-level officials were aware.
But according to a draft of a watchdog's report obtained Saturday by The Associated Press that seemingly contradicts public statements by the IRS commissioner, senior IRS officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups as early as 2011.
The Treasury Department's inspector general for tax administration is expected to release the results of a nearly yearlong investigation in the coming week.
Lois G. Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt organizations, said last week that the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias.
But on June 29, 2011, Lerner learned at a meeting that groups were being targeted, according to the watchdog's report. At the meeting, she was told that groups with "Tea Party," ''Patriot" or "9/12 Project" in their names were being flagged for additional and often burdensome scrutiny, the report says.
The 9/12 Project is a group started by conservative TV personality Glenn Beck.
Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said "the conclusion that the IRS came to is that they did have agents who were engaged in intimidation of political groups is as dangerous a problem the government can have."
He added, "This should send a chill up your spine. ... I don't know where it stops or who is involved."
Congressional Republicans already are conducting several investigations and asked for more.
"This mea culpa is not an honest one," said Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.
After the AP report Saturday, White House press secretary Jay Carney said that if the inspector general "finds that there were any rules broken or that conduct of government officials did not meet the standards required of them, the president expects that swift and appropriate steps will be taken to address any misconduct."
Collins said the revelations about the nation's tax agency only contribute to "the profound distrust that the American people have in government. It is absolutely chilling that the IRS was singling out conservative groups for extra review."
She said she was disappointed that Obama "hasn't personally condemned this." The president, Collins said, "needs to make crystal clear that this is totally unacceptable."
Lerner said that about 300 groups were singled out for additional review, with about one-quarter scrutinized because they had "tea party" or "patriot" somewhere in their applications.
Lerner said 150 of the cases have been closed and no group had its tax-exempt status revoked, though some withdrew their applications.

#28    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

^ "though some withdrew their applications." Surprisingly, I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet that was part of the thinking here. Harass them and scare them out of forming another organization. This is not cool.

Posted Image

#29    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostF3SS, on 12 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

^ "though some withdrew their applications." Surprisingly, I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet that was part of the thinking here. Harass them and scare them out of forming another organization. This is not cool.

That's probably why they did this... :no:

I don't care what party you belong to, this ain't right. People shouldn't be targeted by the IRS just for their political beliefs. This isn't Nazi Germany, or Stalin's Russia.

Edited by Kowalski, 12 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#30    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://www.theblaze....rvative-groups/
Glenn Beck issued a response Saturday to the Internal Revenue Service’s shocking admission that it has unfairly targeted conservative groups, pointing out that he and his news organization have been reporting on the issue for over a year.

“In February 2012, TheBlaze first reported what the IRS now admits to – that they unfairly targeted conservative groups including the 9/12 project. It is nice to see everyone else playing catch-up and finally asking the same questions that TheBlaze started raising over a year ago,” Beck’s statement read.

As early as February 14, 2012, TheBlaze’s Mike Opelka published a story titled: “Is Obama Using the IRS to Silence Opposition Voices?”

In it, Opelka detailed the emails TheBlaze has received from conservative groups “alerting us to the oppressive demands being sent to them from the IRS.”  Among other things, the IRS apparently wanted hard copies of every social media post; the name, address, and corporate federal ID of members; and the time, location and content schedule of each event, including printouts of the text of every speech given.

The IRS apologized on Friday for singling out groups with words like “Tea Party,” “Patriot” or “9/12 Project” in the run-up to the 2012 election, and an IRS watchdog organization claims senior IRS officials knew about the matter in 2011.

The issue hits close to home for Beck, who started the 9/12 project as a volunteer based, non-partisan movement focusing on building and uniting our communities back to the place they were on 9/12/2001.

And Beck wasn’t the only one to issue a public statement on the scandal.

Sarah Palin also weighed in on Facebook, saying Obama likely appreciated the IRS’ efforts during the election before warning:

Americans should remember that this same corrupt IRS will be in charge of enforcing Obamacare. And this same inept and corrupt government will supposedly secure our now unsecured borders in advance of immigration reform and will implement a completely ethical and non-political IPAB panel to make life and death health care decisions for you and your family. Forgive me for not trusting these big government promises any more than I trust the White House’s latest Benghazi spin or the IRS’ fairness.
She concluded with a word of inspiration, saying the so-called “fundamental transformation of America” is only temporary.

“This attempted transformation into a disheartened, weakened, unrecognizable nation is so far below anything Americans deserve,” she wrote. “It becomes permanent only if we throw up our hands and surrender to the corruption and cover-ups.”

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users