Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

You Better Not Ban My Pit Bull!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Here's another rude example of government trying to engineer society for us, now it's choosing for us what we can and cannot love.  

So after rummaging through my marriage, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, emails, phone calls, text messages and finances, now they're telling me what kind of dog I can't have.

Breed Specific Legislation, although I would come up with a different name for it, is discriminatory.  It's based on a dog's physical characteristics as opposed to her character or temperament. It's about as sensible as banning a gun for looking scary.

Edited by Yamato, 20 February 2014 - 06:18 AM.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#2    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

Let me guess, that's not your pit bull in the video, but 'you have a dog in the fight?'

Pit Bulls are dedicated and loving dogs with the right owners. It's not the fault of the dog if they have irresponsible owners. The fault that I have, is with irresponsible owners.

#3    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

Being so afraid of powerful breeds for what they merely could do to us, that we're even willing to ban them from our society sounds like the same paranoia as fearing Saddam Hussein's "Weapons of Mass Destruction" for what they could do to us.

Enough fear-based legislation already, government!   Sorry you guys, but I fully support the separation of Gene Pool and State; lesser life-forms such as dogs included.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#4    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,513 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

I say let the dogs live.... even if they are ugly muthertruckers.

..... snortn.. peein and pooin all over the place

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Oh, for God's sake Yamato, I thought that we were talking about dogs. Not politics. Shame on me.

#6    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yeah;
I have 55kgs of black fanged death who is as soft as a brush, and as loving as any soul could hope to be....
A Piggers dog...a pup who would have got the bullet if I hadnt give him a home...he is 12 yo now and has never hurt anyone,

#7    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

View Postjules99, on 20 February 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Yeah;
I have 55kgs of black fanged death who is as soft as a brush, and as loving as any soul could hope to be....
A Piggers dog...a pup who would have got the bullet if I hadnt give him a home...he is 12 yo now and has never hurt anyone,
That said;
I would never have him in an unsecured yard or allow him unguarded access to kids, I mean I love him,.....but I have to accept responsibility for him..

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 20 February 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

Oh, for God's sake Yamato, I thought that we were talking about dogs. Not politics. Shame on me.
We're talking about banning dogs.   When it's laws we're talking about, it is politics.    It's government.   How are you going to dissect the government from politics exactly?   There's no shame on you.  It's shame on them.   So, what do you think about BSL?

#9    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostYamato, on 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

We're talking about banning dogs.   When it's laws we're talking about, it is politics.    It's government.   How are you going to dissect the government from politics exactly?   There's no shame on you.  It's shame on them.   So, what do you think about BSL?

Are we talkin about a civic, state or national ban? Sorry, I don't watch You-tubes.

As far as banning specific breeds, I think that it's BS. Banning some dog owners on the other hand... I dunno.

#10    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 20 February 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Are we talkin about a civic, state or national ban? Sorry, I don't watch You-tubes.
BSL is an international phenomenon unfortunately.  

http://en.wikipedia....fic_legislation

#11    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostYamato, on 20 February 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

BSL is an international phenomenon unfortunately.  

http://en.wikipedia....fic_legislation

Yes, I know that. But I think that owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds. How that can/should be legislated, I don't know.

Pit Bulls, with the right caring and loving owners can produce loving, protective and affectionate dogs. The wrong owners can produce a protective lethal weapon.

Where the real answer in the middle is, I don't know.

Edit to add;
There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Edited by Likely Guy, 20 February 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#12    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 20 February 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Yes, I know that. But I think that owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds. How that can/should be legislated, I don't know.
That's an example of a BSL.

#13    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostYamato, on 20 February 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

That's an example of a BSL.

How so?

Maybe owners should take an anger management course before getting any dog? Then you can weed out the bad owner.

Because no dog is bad on it's own recourse.

Edit: What I'm saying it's not the breed of the dog that's the problem, it's the breed of the owner (i.e. caustic angry ahole).

Edited by Likely Guy, 20 February 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#14    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 20 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

How so?

Maybe owners should take an anger management course before getting any dog? Then you can weed out the bad owner.

Because no dog is bad on it's own recourse.

Edit: What I'm saying it's not the breed of the dog that's the problem, it's the breed of the owner (i.e. caustic angry ahole).

owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds  How that can/should be legislated

That is breed specific legislation.

Punish the deed, not the breed.

#15    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 20 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

it's the breed of the owner
It's the breed of of the owner.  I like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users