Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mutant roaches evolve to avoid sticky traps

cockroach roaches traps mutant pest

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,832 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Roaches that have been hard to trap may be a variety that find sugar doesn't taste quite so sweet as bait anymore, a study suggests.

Most cockroach baits cover poison in a layer of glucose, a sugar. Some mutant German roaches, the most common species of pest found in houses, apartments, restaurants and hotels, now taste glucose as bitter, researchers said today in a study released in the journal Science. This change in palate enables them to avoid traps.

http://www.smh.com.a...0524-2k4ru.html

Posted Image

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Are the German roaches superior to other roaches, then?

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Start using something different as bait.

#4    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostHilander, on 24 May 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Start using something different as bait.

Something sweeter perhaps?

Or maybe you could just let them get diabetes.

#5    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

A shoe is a good short term solution but then their families are watching horrified as the family members guts spurt out which is really good motivation for a most heinous revenge of crawling on the sleeping body of the reaper waiting... just waiting for the lips to part.. a millimeter is all they need to poop In your mouth then crawl back to watch as you smack it down.

They are disgusting creatures and I have a karmic pact with them... they shall only enter my house if they want to die.  In which case I thank them for the trust and honor of being the chosen one before I kill them dead.

I really need to get some sleep.  But it won't be coming anytime soon!  I wish there weren't pictures with this article.  :hmm:

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#6    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,426 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Don't ever think that insects has no brain. I'd say they gained more knowledge from life rather than evolving

Edited by FlyingAngel, 25 May 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#7    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 25 May 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Don't ever think that insects has no brain. I'd say they gained more knowledge from life rather than evolving

It's a common misconception that insects and arachnids aren't intelligent or can't work things out. Or that they're "pre-programmed". Sadly, a lot of people grow up with the idea that if it's not human, it's stupid and somehow less entitled to live. There's been a lot of study on some species of spider, for example, that shows that they are intelligent (in their own way) and show signs of decision making, as opposed to being pre-programmed. I do think there could be more effective methods of deterring pests from homes, that doesn't end in their death, but most people as good as invite them in themselves. Or live in an area where would-be natural habitats have been destroyed. Hopefully something more humane could be invested in, in the future.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 25 May 2013 - 03:24 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#8    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 25 May 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

It's a common misconception that insects and arachnids aren't intelligent or can't work things out. Or that they're "pre-programmed". Sadly, a lot of people grow up with the idea that if it's not human, it's stupid and somehow less entitled to live. There's been a lot of study on some species of spider, for example, that shows that they are intelligent (in their own way) and show signs of decision making, as opposed to being pre-programmed. I do think there could be more effective methods of deterring pests from homes, that doesn't end in their death, but most people as good as invite them in themselves. Or live in an area where would-be natural habitats have been destroyed. Hopefully something more humane could be invested in, in the future.

It's true, they (roaches) have intelligence in their own way.  As a matter of fact, they have 2 brains, one in front and one in the butt.  It's real.  I read it somewhere. ..  know thine enemies.   Like I said, we have a pact.  I make their deaths quick and thank them.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I hate cockroaches.

They are disease carrying creatures.

BTW, if you step on one, they just "flatten-out" and scurry away from underneath your shoe.

Step and "twist" your foot. That will kill them. Squishy mess that has to be cleaned-up though.

Did I mention that I HATE cockroaches? OH yeah, I did.

Edited by pallidin, 25 May 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#10    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Postpallidin, on 25 May 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

I hate cockroaches.

They are disease carrying creatures.

BTW, if you step on one, they just "flatten-out" and scurry away from underneath your shoe.

Step and "twist"

Did I mention that I HATE cockroaches? OH yeah, I did.

So are plenty of human beings :P

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

True enough, Halfpipe.

#12    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

I guess thats why they've survived so well for so long the ability to adapt and overcome

#13    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Bugs are so alien looking to us, so not fuzzy and warm we see them as vile and disgusting but I'm pretty sure they think we are too.   So, it's all good.

Plus, I have a feeling that if things were the other way around the roaches would not have even a tiny fraction of tolerance for us.  Viva le differance

Edited by Lava_Lady, 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#14    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 25 May 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Bugs are so alien looking to us, so not fuzzy and warm we see them as vile and disgusting but I'm pretty sure they think we are too.   So, it's all good.

Plus, I have a feeling that if things were the other way around the roaches would not have even a tiny fraction of tolerance for us.  Viva le differance

I think some spiders are beautiful :)

Posted Image
The only known vegetarian spider in the world :')

Posted Image
c'mon, this is pretty, no? :P

Yeah I know, not all creepy crawlies look that nice but I do think deep in our subconscious, we're naturally wary of them because of how big they used to be (for our ancestors) and some believe spiders in those times would have been capable of hunting humans.

I try to find the beauty in all living things, though it's not always easy.. Exhibit A...

Posted Image

:P

#15    paperdyer

paperdyer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostMnemonix, on 24 May 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Are the German roaches superior to other roaches, then?
My house in PA was infested with them.  They are harder to kill.  I had to fumigate the whole house and be out of it for 24 hrs.

Also tagged with cockroach, roaches, traps, mutant, pest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users