Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just watched 'The Thing' (2011)

George Ford

Really good acting, effects and nerve wreaking! So glad they made it the way they did. Ties in with the John Carpenter film of the same name really well.

You should buy it! :tu:

(Also the whole time I was watching it I was thinking they should definitely make 'The Mountains of Madness' by H P Lovecraft. The setting and effects would work perfectly!!!!!!)

i also enjoyed The Thing 2011, took my girlfriend scared the hell outta her, we came straight home and watched John Carpenters thing straight away ^^

Being a fan of the original I was surprised to really enjoy the new one. Well... not the original... but the Carpenter version.

Edited by MysticStrummer

I haven't seen it yet but when i saw the trailer I was kind of annoyed that they missed a few small things.

I just might have to watch it now!!

All three are quite good.

It's rare that a remake is as good as the original, but to have a "three-make" still hold up to the first two is amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While it could be argued the Thing was "new" and had little understanding of stealth, deception and guile, and only learned that as it imitated Man, I was disappointed there was none of the subtlety of the Carpenter Thing. It was along the lines of, "I think Joe here may be the thing. Joe, what do you say to that?" Joe: "BLAAAAARGH!" *tentacles waving* It wasn't bad, though I detested the CGI, like I always do, and I liked the way they tried to tie in to the Carpenter movie. I just feel like the movie missed a lot of the point.

While it could be argued the Thing was "new" and had little understanding of stealth, deception and guile, and only learned that as it imitated Man, I was disappointed there was none of the subtlety of the Carpenter Thing. It was along the lines of, "I think Joe here may be the thing. Joe, what do you say to that?" Joe: "BLAAAAARGH!" *tentacles waving* It wasn't bad, though I detested the CGI, like I always do, and I liked the way they tried to tie in to the Carpenter movie. I just feel like the movie missed a lot of the point.

John Carpenters The Thing had special effects that will still look amazing in 100 years time! I thought the new Thing was still very good for CGI, I like the way they show you how the monster with 2 faces from John Carpenters film was made by the alien. There are a lot of tie ins with the JC one as well, like in the JC film you see an axe embedded in the wall when Kurt Russel goes to the Norwegian base, in the new film you see how that happened.

Could it have been better, of course. BUT still a great film IMO and I will be watching what this directer does in the future.

Do you think the alien ship was made by a different species and 'The Thing' got loose on the ship and ate them all? Like it was a weapon that got loose?

Kind of like what I think happened in the film Alien.

By the way the trialer for the new Alien film is out, it's called Prometheus.

John Carpenters The Thing had special effects that will still look amazing in 100 years time! I thought the new Thing was still very good for CGI, I like the way they show you how the monster with 2 faces from John Carpenters film was made by the alien. There are a lot of tie ins with the JC one as well, like in the JC film you see an axe embedded in the wall when Kurt Russel goes to the Norwegian base, in the new film you see how that happened.

Could it have been better, of course. BUT still a great film IMO and I will be watching what this directer does in the future.

Do you think the alien ship was made by a different species and 'The Thing' got loose on the ship and ate them all? Like it was a weapon that got loose?

Kind of like what I think happened in the film Alien.

By the way the trialer for the new Alien film is out, it's called Prometheus.

The new film would have to be pretty damn good to beat Carpenter's remake.

Scared the .... out of me 1st time I saw it.

Nothing beats a good round of paranoia.

I must admit i didn't enjoy this as much as Carpenter's film, I did like the way they made the end of this movie join onto the beginning of Carpenter's film.

If anyone here uses utorrent let me know and ill send you a link that will let you upload the movie directly from me:)It will only work utorrent though.

Edited by david_36

• 2 months later...

For a second there I had it confused with The Blob :wacko:

Is it really as good as the Carpenter version? might give it a whirl, then. :tu:

Edited by Oma_Desala

• 5 months later...

Really good acting, effects and nerve wreaking! So glad they made it the way they did. Ties in with the John Carpenter film of the same name really well.

(Also the whole time I was watching it I was thinking they should definitely make 'The Mountains of Madness' by H P Lovecraft. The setting and effects would work perfectly!!!!!!)

i could'nt disagree more, the cgi effects were poor and it tried to ape john carpenters film too much, several scenes felt like they were just different version of carpenters scenes, i thought it was lazy film makiing. I do agree about the mountains of madness though, guillermo del toro was due to direct a version, but sadly the studio baulked. Im really not a fan of cgi effects, its ok when done right but for my money the effects in john carpenters film were much better

Has anyone read, "Who Goes There?", talk about intense!

You know, I have actually been hearing a lot of good things about that movie - especially in how well it dovetails with the John Carpenter 80's version. I'm still waiting for the local Target to put it on sale again (I saw it once for $10 before I heard anything good about it and then as soon as I started wanting to see it it went back up to $15...).