Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Possible (or not) UFO sighting in New Zealand

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 166 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

An article posted today by my local newspaper.

http://www.stuff.co....FO-video-posted

Edited by Whatsinausername, 07 March 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,851 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Looks like a bird

#3    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Weather balloon?

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#4    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Possible (or not) UFO sighting in New Zealand

It's certainly not a huge six from an England cricketer at the moment, unfortunately, that's for sure.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 07 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#5    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

The image of the object seems large enough that it should look more like a bird, if that's what it is.  It looks oval in shape to me. One can see the camera going in and out of focus, but even when focused, no obviously bird-like profile emerges.

#6    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I saw two similar objects just under a month ago, while on holiday near Rotorua & Kawerau (a few hundred km's from where the video was shot) with my son and my dad. We were playing cricket in the yard of my dad's bach (holiday home) when i caught a high ball and noticed two of these white objects high in the sky, like two pin-points in a sea of blue. My old man had a look as well and dismissed them as weather balloons, but they looked close together at first, then travelled in oposite directions at speed. At that point he agreed that it was weird.

Thought it was weird, but with no evidence what can you do? How do you find out what you saw without coming across as a nutcase?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 07 March 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,130 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Thought it was weird, but with no evidence what can you do? How do you find out what you saw without coming across as a nutcase?

It's been 10 years or so for me. Still trying to find out. Nothing about that sounded 'nutcase-y'. Anyone one who tells you that can be instantly dismissed.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#8    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Must be hard to have seen something one cant explain and have the rest of the world laughing at you speculate about Alienz.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#9    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostDBunker, on 07 March 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Must be hard to have seen something one cant explain and have the rest of the world laughing at you speculate about Alienz.

When i was looking up in the sky and my dad asked what i was looking at, I couldn't bring myself to say "two UFO's". I just said theres two white things up there. To which my old man said (with a smirk on his face) "Seeing aliens are you?"

He wasn't so smug after he saw them disappear over the horizon in a matter of seconds. I haven't told anyone else until seeing this video, which looks like the objects i saw, except closer to the ground and moving slower. Seriously, if i ran for my iPhone and took a photo you wouldn't have seen much. It would have been a pixle or two on the screen so i didn't even bother, which was the right decision considering they were gone 10 seconds later.

But i am not above considering more mundane explainations if they come to hand.

#10    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 07 March 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

But i am not above considering more mundane explainations if they come to hand.

Any thoughts? Besides alien visitors?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#11    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostDBunker, on 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Any thoughts? Besides alien visitors?

Weather baloons at different altitudes ecountering strong winds in different directions. Alien visitors would be way down the list of probable explainations, but its what everyone assumes when you are talking about UFO's

#12    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 07 March 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Alien visitors would be way down the list of probable explainations, but its what everyone assumes when you are talking about UFO's

I think most people do.

As for alien visitors.... should they even be on the list?

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

is that it? a possible UFO sighting and he only gets 20secs of it?

it looks like the sun is reflecting on it, it could be anything from a small plane to a balloon.

or it could just be another person has heard about the reward.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Lame!!  Can't see the video unless you submit to Facebook slavery!!  I refuseto be a mindless Zuckerbergian zombie!!  I'll just have to wonder whAt's I the video... :(

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#15    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

i've seen that before. Sometimes with a tail, sometimes without. Looks to me like a plane at high altitude with the sun reflecting off it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users