Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dark energy may be devouring dark matter

UM-Bot

The mysterious dark energy that permeates the universe may be causing dark matter to evaporate.

Dark matter, the substance thought to account for the majority of the matter in the universe, might actually be disappearing according to a new study.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/274391/dark-energy-may-be-devouring-dark-matter

With 'almost' nothing in it. What the heck would be left?

Some interesting comments on the story link page. I can't fault their logic in some cases either.

Re: The mysterious dark energy that permeates the universe may be causing dark matter to evaporate.

What a convenient way of simplifying gravity calculations.

If there is nothing between the matter we can see and measure, wouldn't the gravitiation pull of the matter that's less cause the universe to shrink?

I'd imagine that if dark energy is converting dark matter into dark energy, that the process would speed up the expansion of the universe, not slow it down. The disappearing dark matter would likely cause the galaxies to clump closer together, but the worse that would happen, IMHO, is that galaxies would be less compact, and stars would spread out more toward homogenization across space.

So, this explains a lot.

Every time we almost get a handle on dark matter ---- BAM!!!! it's gone. No wonder it's so elusive.

Hey!? Maybe there was a big BAM!!!! instead of a big bang.

Only one process ascending. Energy, dark matter, matter, matter the growth, and disintegration (Super Nova). Permanent an eternal process of the universe and much wider.

Cosmic cancer?

How do they know that something is eating dark matter and do not know how she does it look?

The observations support the increase of matter.

Does the respective gaps resembles that in mind when little we use our brain?

It is a life changing news..how can there be People supporting such researches that always question things that one day are said to exist and on the other, dont anymore? And now one possible energy is desyroying one possible matter?? C'mon our world needs better this money to fight poverty rathen than spend in nonsense b*****its like that

It is a life changing news..how can there be People supporting such researches that always question things that one day are said to exist and on the other, dont anymore? And now one possible energy is desyroying one possible matter?? C'mon our world needs better this money to fight poverty rathen than spend in nonsense b*****its like that

Understanding the universe, how it works, the implications and our place in it! <<< I'll stick with having my money spent on that thanks.

Read the OP article again.

Since the 1998 breakthrough discovery that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, cosmologists have held that, though mysterious, dark energy could be a universal constant. However, this simple model does not explain why the growth of cosmic structures, including galaxies and galaxy clusters, is slower than expected.

So I seems to me that in addition to Dark Energy (DE) somehow interacting with Dark Matter (DM) and "eliminating" it. It would appear either the amount of Dark Matter was wrong to begin with, or perhaps our explanation of the expansion of space is incorrect.

It seems to me that people are quick to gloam onto these ideas, and then treat them as fact. Like with the Higgs Boson that was just revealed to perhaps NOT have been found, this idea of DE destroying DM could very, very easily be completely and totally wrong. If even just a one College Physics class idiot like me can see other options, I'm sure that true Physicists are laughing behind their hands at this article.

• Like 1

all these maybes and maybe nots are intensely intriguing though! It feels like some important discoveries are getting closer.. I love surprises!

Read the OP article again.

So I seems to me that in addition to Dark Energy (DE) somehow interacting with Dark Matter (DM) and "eliminating" it. It would appear either the amount of Dark Matter was wrong to begin with, or perhaps our explanation of the expansion of space is incorrect.

It seems to me that people are quick to gloam onto these ideas, and then treat them as fact. Like with the Higgs Boson that was just revealed to perhaps NOT have been found, this idea of DE destroying DM could very, very easily be completely and totally wrong. If even just a one College Physics class idiot like me can see other options, I'm sure that true Physicists are laughing behind their hands at this article.

Finally something with which I can agree entirely.

Many times are us been cheated, in order to believe without verification and healthy logic.

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/gps-devices-may-have-detected-dark-matter/

One of these elements is time, which is tracked by the extremely accurate GPS system. With a network of satellites spanning 50,000 kilometers and traveling through space at 300 kilometers a second, a cosmic kink could disturb the GPS clocks. This quantum crack would require 170 seconds to jump across the networks.

GPS clocks could be interrupted by other factors, but Deverianko and Pospelov believe that only dark matter could disturb the system’s timekeeping in a certain way.

Derevianko is currently pulling data from 15 years of GPS records to search for signs of dark matter’s presence.