Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Ghost Picture (Not a fake)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostRafterman, on 10 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

How does one access such data from a photo?

I see there is a "view image info" when you right click on it, but I can't seem to find the information that you did.
I'm using a Mac, so if I right-click a photo file and choose "info" I get all sorts of info about the file, same way I would with any type of file, but with JPEGs with EXIF data, that also appears.

You can do the same thing in Windows, right-click on a JPEG file, click "properties" from the menu and then select the "Details" tab which will give all sorts of data about the photograph, basically a complete set of the camera settings when the photo was taken.

I use Picasa for managing and viewing my photos, and there's a panel on the right-hand of the screen which automatically displays EXIF data for any photo I'm looking at.  Very handy.

One thing about this data is that if you open a JPEG file and copy and paste the part of all of the picture into a new image (perhaps to resize it for internet use), you lose the EXIF data as you've just copied out image data, not associated metadata, and thus you'll find most photos online don't have such data.  Thankfully in this case, the photo posted looks like it was the file that came straight from the camera, so all this data was intact.

Edited by Archimedes, 10 January 2013 - 05:53 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#47    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 10 January 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

EXIF data is oft the debunker's friend.  When in doubt, go for the things that cannot be faked...like EXIF data.  Then reach out from there.

EXIF data can be faked and edited. There are tools to do this. Most hoaxers don't bother though.

#48    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 10 January 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

I'm using a Mac, so if I right-click a photo file and choose "info" I get all sorts of info about the file, same way I would with any type of file, but with JPEGs with EXIF data, that also appears.

You can do the same thing in Windows, right-click on a JPEG file, click "properties" from the menu and then select the "Details" tab which will give all sorts of data about the photograph, basically a complete set of the camera settings when the photo was taken.

I use Picasa for managing and viewing my photos, and there's a panel on the right-hand of the screen which automatically displays EXIF data for any photo I'm looking at.  Very handy.

One thing about this data is that if you open a JPEG file and copy and paste the part of all of the picture into a new image (perhaps to resize it for internet use), you lose the EXIF data as you've just copied out image data, not associated metadata, and thus you'll find most photos online don't have such data.  Thankfully in this case, the photo posted looks like it was the file that came straight from the camera, so all this data was intact.

Ah yes, I see it now.

Thanks.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users