Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lasers 'could prevent' need for root canal

Still Waters

Lasers have been used to regenerate parts of damaged teeth and could one day be used to prevent root canal treatments, claim US researchers.

The laser beam triggered a series of changes that led to the formation of new dentin, the layer below the enamel, in animal tests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-27595573

Woww...this is good. This is very good. No pain is worse than raw nerve ending, bottom of your tooth pain lol

• Like 2

Wonder how much this will cost. It already costs £35 just to say hello to the dentist here.

• Like 1

Wonder how much this will cost. It already costs £35 just to say hello to the dentist here.

Even if the process is cheaper for the Dentist to do, he'll charge more because he needs to make his money.

• Like 2

Who is going to implement this? The equipment costs lots of money and I doubt many dental offices are going to spend the dough for that.

It may not be the same thing but I remember years and years ago there was a documentary on how lasers could be used to eliminate cavities and thus eliminating the use of drills that always end up carving out a good portion of healthy tooth. (they made it sound like all dentists would be using this) Sounds wonderful, right? But apparently the equipment was too expensive so twenty some years after the report and dental offices are still using a system that is, in my view, rather antiquated.

Same with this laser root canal thing. Unless the dental office has mega bucks, I doubt such systems will be used anytime soon, at least not for average people like me and i doubt average blokes like me could even afford such things.

Edited by Ryu

Thats just to get past the receptionist for an appointment.

Who is going to implement this? The equipment costs lots of money and I doubt many dental offices are going to spend the dough for that.

It may not be the same thing but I remember years and years ago there was a documentary on how lasers could be used to eliminate cavities and thus eliminating the use of drills that always end up carving out a good portion of healthy tooth. (they made it sound like all dentists would be using this) Sounds wonderful, right? But apparently the equipment was too expensive so twenty some years after the report and dental offices are still using a system that is, in my view, rather antiquated.

Same with this laser root canal thing. Unless the dental office has mega bucks, I doubt such systems will be used anytime soon, at least not for average people like me and i doubt average blokes like me could even afford such things.

They will do it because there are people who will pay. If people have the money to inject plastic into their faces, they will pay to have this done.

To be honest, there were a couple of times in the past when my tooth ache was that bad, I would have sold everything I owned "would even have leased out my husband" to pay for the pain to go away.....obviously, once realising even that would not cover the dental costs I took out the whiskey and bore with it until I got to King's College Hospital and let the trainees let rip.

Congratulations, to the one percent! lol

I never understood the aversion to getting a root canal. I had one before and it heralded the END of pain.

They will do it because there are people who will pay. If people have the money to inject plastic into their faces, they will pay to have this done.

Still...if the offices cannot afford the equipment then there is no change for anyone.

I never understood the aversion to getting a root canal. I had one before and it heralded the END of pain.

Glad it worked for you. For many, many people it led to disaster even under the best of conditions.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1