Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What's your geekiest hobby?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#76    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I go to the library everyday and read and write on my own for hours...
Posted Image

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#77    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

My geekiest hobby, although I'm a little worried to post this as I've been reprimanded for discussing this before, is Hacking. Before you freak out, call the NSA and Saru, allow me to explain. I HACK in the real definition, which is: " I Penetration Test, Exploit, and explore everything from Computers, to Networks, LAN/WAN, Servers, etc (You get the point) for the betterment and knowledge gained for myself and of the owner of said technology."

So, yes, this is the geekiest thing I do! I have been interested in computers since grade school. I started learning HTML, C++, Java, VisualBasic, and many other coding at age 8, and then I found this AMAZING operating system called Unix when I was in 6th grade, and from there, my PenTesting days took off! haha The best part of this is, when I tell people whom don't already know that I am a complete closet computer nerd, they don't believe me! Especially being I'm a career S.O. Military Man, whose always been in to martial arts, racing cars and other "non-computer nerd hobbies" haha.

So there, that is my dirty little secret and geekiest hobby! SHHH Don't tell! :tu:

Edited by ColoradoParanormal, 11 January 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#78    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

First, I will say thanks to the OP for this thread as I'm gonna have a bit of fun with my reply. Don't worry, you will know what my geeky hobby is...hopefully by the end of this post.

I am lucripetous to that which is obscure.  I could be considered a lexicomane, and a logophile. People that know me best would consider me absolutely indefatigable when it comes to words. In fact, it could even be considered that words inspire a kalokagathia that acts as one of the greatest mantics in my life.

Yes. My name is Asadora and I am a word geek.

One of my favorite words is: Resipiscence. One of my great joys in life is to come across a word that displays a solid meaning of which others may find it difficult to slip off their tongue. Or convey a complex context of meaning in one single beautiful word. Example: Resipiscence - recognition of past mistakes and desire to do better in the future. I have always thought that making resipiscence is actually better than making a resolution, well in a New Years context.

I have many many word books, and old dictionaries, the oldest being of 100 years. Sure, the Internet is a great tool, but not everything is on the Internet. But often there is way too much opprobrium and that makes for awkward situations!

So, there you have it. You all know now, my gulity geeky yet rapturous pleasure.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#79    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostAsadora, on 14 January 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

ISo, there you have it. You all know now, my gulity geeky yet rapturous pleasure.

Yup, we got it. Posted Image

(Stage whisper..... Woman's a ravin' nut-job!!!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#80    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postealdwita, on 18 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Yup, we got it. Posted Image

(Stage whisper..... Woman's a ravin' nut-job!!!)

I heard that, Ealdwita.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#81    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I make my own clothing sometimes.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#82    Raven_Tear

Raven_Tear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

I collect Mickey Mouse memorabilia. Seriously. :whistle:

#83    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostHasina, on 16 September 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Tahdah!
Posted Image
Awamazing Nuff said Just Truly awamazing

#84    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I read and read and read and read

#85    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

i  am  the  voice  of  myrddin .
i  walk  the  lofty  cloud  canyons  of icy  cyan  skys  and   the  deep  keep  of  the  halls  of  echo where  no   sun  has  ever  shown .   i   have  touched  the  runes   of  great  insights  shouted  to  clear  the  soul  of  brilliants  ,   and  felt  the  empathy  of  dispare  of   genius caught  in  the  prison  of  isolation  in their  great  knowing ,  wiped  the  tear  and  held  the  hand ,  lisened  to   the  unintelagable  ramblings ,  and  looking   ,  knowingly  ,  wondering  what   they  were  talking  about.
i  have  known  the  men of  every  age  ,  known  your  history  in  a  way  you  can  not  ,  and  frankly  speaking ...   i  am  better  than  you  ...in  every  real meaningful  way .

of all  that  there  is  to  know , every  thing that is important ,  we  are  not  equals.

that  is  not  to  say  you  are  not  my  better at standing in  this  moment we are in ,  you  know  only this  now  better   than me ,  you  have  better   local  knowledge ,  you hold a finer  grasp  of  the  details  of the customs  and  current  passion  of  style  and  point  of  veiw in  this  now  moment.

what  you  do  with  light effort  ,  i  must rudely  do  , seem  to  you  like  a  great  beast  , with  thinking  things  , that  lowers  its  head   and  crashes ,  braking  the  delicate  and  gentle balance .
i  smell  of  sweat  ,  and  blunt  direct  words .
i  lack  your  sophitication  ,  culture  ,  and  clever  turn  of  phrase .
because  i  am  not  well  tuned  to  where  i  stand .

be  of  greater  care in  the  danger i  can  not  see  or  understand ,  or that  i do .
i have  no  desire  to  do  harm  ,  the   healing  of  harm is  my  desire .
my  point  of  veiw  is  not  the  same  as  your  one place veiw ,  i  have  little  time  ,  and  less  desire  to  waste  what  time  i  do  have  learning   things  that  have  no  worth   beyond   the  minutes  i  spend in  this  current  now  and  here.

i  have  things  you  need  to  know  ,  and  there  is  nothing  you  need  to  help  me  with , beyond  not  offending   those  around  me , or  your  self .
please  correct me  as  needed  ,  and  please  give   correction  to  those  i  have  offended by  my  emptyness   of  personal and  civil  slang .

the  first of these things  you  need  to  know  is....   i  am  human  ,  no  diffrent  than  you ...   but  we  are  quite  diffrent  in  every  other  meaningful  way.

you  also  need  to  know  ... i am going  to  return ...   but  the  person  to  whom  you  will  talk  ,  will  have  been  here  befor...  but  will  not  know  of  this  now  moment ...   that  is  a past  me .
i  am  here  to  correct something i  will  do  as  a younger  me  come here...  
frankly  speaking  , when  i  return , i  will  not  seem  to  be  harsh  ,  and  you  will  think  i  am  the  same  as  you...  i  am  not .
i  am  better  than  you  ,  and  you  need  to  understand ,  my  time  is  valuable  ,  and  yours  is  not .
when  i  return , i  will  become  direct ,  harsh  and  blunt .
in  a very  polite  way ,  please  understand ...
when  i  return , i  will  not  understand  just  how closed  minded you  are ,  or that  you  would clearly  rather   burn to  death  ,  rather  than  save  your  self  and  your  loved  ones by  seeing  an ideas  in  a diffrent  way thru  logical  thinking   or  reason. .
you  lack  critical  thinking  skills  and  basic  logical  thinking  ,   and  find  it  offensive  to   define  words  ,  terms   and  logical  assumptions ...
as  a  group  ,  if  the  subject  matter   is   talked  about  for  more  than  30  minutes  ,  you  become  violent and  physicaly  will   leave  the  room  ,  and  if   engaged  after   first  level  flight...  will  run away   (   not  a metaphor )  rather  than  engaging  in  logical  thinking.
i  need  to  stress...   on  the  whole  ,  you  are  not  capable  of  engaging  in   higher  levels  of  logical  thinking  which  demands  a  focused  logical  process  of  more  that  30  minutes .

what  i  do  not   understand even  now , is  for the  most  part  ,  1  person  in  a  1ooo has  both  the  mental  ablity  to   have  a conversation   ,  and  the   open  mindedness   to  actualy  hear  me .
you are  at  this  moment being  put  on  notice ,  relax ,
your  to  stupid  to  understand ,  and  you  will  spend  more  time being  upset at my bluntness  or   on  the  civil  offensive   and  personal   slights  than  on  anything  real.  
frankly  speaking...  you  will  be  a waste  of  my  time and  yours .
what  i  also  know  is   ,  just  now  , at  this  very  moment...  i  have  given   a few  people  what  they  need  to   think .
do  not  get  in  their  way ,  they  will  do   bad  things  equal to   the  harm  done  to  them if  you  get  in  their  way .
i  also   require   this  to  be  said  clearly  "  go  ahead  and  talk to  me  ,  the  people  who  seem  to  think  they  have  a clue ,  know  not  even  a tiny  bit  more  than  you . ! push  them  aside  ,  speak  to  me ,  no  one  has  a  greater  right  than  you  do . "
you  have  just  as  much  a right  to  talk  as  they  do ,   and  honestly  ,  they  are  in  your  way.

to  be  quite  blunt  ,  when  i  return  ,  i  will  not understand  that   stupid  people  who  want  to  waste  my  time   will  demand   equal  access ,  play  pointless games  and  repeat  the  bumper  stickers  that  a  polictical  shapard has
"  on  massage"
  them  to  say ,  like  they  even  understand  the  meaning  of  the  words they  are  saying as  well  as  a  5  month  old  baby   understands   talk  radio   playing  above  its  crib .

the  voice  you  hear  is   myrddin .

to  answer    the  question ,  no  device  is  needed...   travel  from  the  now  moment  to  the  future  is  childs  play .  there is  never  an  issue  going   from  now  to  the  future... to  travel  to  the  past  is  a  diffrent  thing  all  togather .

what  is  crictical  to  understand  about   past  going  travel  is....  you  must  define  the  goal  of  the  travel  to  know  the  method ...  

of  the  9  class's  of  time  travel into  the  past ,  each  is  unique  and  carrys  its  own   dangers   and  issues .
these  class's   are   eternity  ,   time  and  energy   X infinity  ,  space  and  matter as  a truth  table  ,  but  because  you can not  think logicaly  or  criticaly...   we  will  not  go  here .
what  is  important  to  understand  now  is....   blow  hards  that  beat  their  chests   and  cry   whale  tears  of  the  inhumanity of it all need  to  talk only  while  breathing  in .  the  man  that   wants  to  tell all , how  it  all  works   ,   needs  to talk  with  his  hands  in  his  own  pockets ,  and  i   look  forward  to  speaking  with  mouse . tiny  ,   shy  ,  all   shadow  wrapped  and   tiny ....   com'mon mouse  ,  com'mon  ,  you  know  you  can  do  it. ( giggles )

what  you  call   time  travel  is  not   correct  ,  its   functionaly    the  inverse funtion  of  all  natural  laws...
and  practicaly  speaking....    it  is  insainly  dangerious ....   not only  for  those  who  go....  but  those  who  stay  behind .

there  is  nothing  beyond   earth  ...   there  is  no  not-earth origin   life   off  the  earth....   that  is  not  to say   there  is  no  life  in  the   cosmos...
but  nothing  that  is  not  from  earth .

the  voice  you  hear  is   myrddin .

#86    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

*sighs* at previous post.

This is something I did in my pre- teens.

What I would do is make up a league of imaginary football teams.
So you've got names like Heap Pin Team,Incline,Oldham Central and Dyers.
And their star players are called Sharpshooter,Paper and Centre Forward.
So I would use real football fixtures and books to work out the results between the teams.
I would use half a word in a book but still came out with some weird results like 5- 6.
So you've got this painstaking process of writing the results and tables in a pad.
My mental arithmetic was stretched to the limit.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#87    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

you  want geeky ....   i  talk to  time traveler useing  means  i  will  not  discribe ,  i  design  bipedal   walking  robots ,  i  write  sci-fi storys ,  i  play   guild wars  and  other  mmorpg's ...   and  if  this  is  not  geeky  enought ...   i  am  a coder ,   a  techie and  a friend   of  bill w's ... i  was  a bubble  head   on  a  boomer ,  and  i  did  my  time  in  the  air .
i  have  done  time  in  a  isolation  tank  and  have  been  to  the  void .

i  am  quite  easily   the  single  most  intresting  conversation   you  will  ever  have  in  a  life time.
i  have  answers   to  the intresting  questions   that  take   life  times   to  learn ,  just  how  to  ask the  intresting  questions.
very few people  know  enought  to  understand  that  the  really  interesting  questions  are even  there .

the  real  problem  is , meny  of  the  things   you  think  are  true  ,  are  not   the  way  you  see  them .

you  want  geeky ,  i  speek geek ,  with  an american accent .

#88    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

I study Tolkien lore like it's my religion. :blush:

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#89    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I collect those fancy little collector spoons. At last count I had over 230.

#90    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostSubjectDigamma, on 21 January 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Awamazing Nuff said Just Truly awamazing

LOL! Don't know how I missed this reply the other day! You are funny! Roll the tongue back into your mouth my friend. Little word of advice: Women don't like being drooled over. You gotta play it cool and what you did there, was the polar opposite! lol. :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users