Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ice storms hit USA

ships-cat

An article on the BBC website talks about the impact of ice storms on various parts of the USA, with several deaths attributed to it, and some power blackouts.

Anyone here effected by it ?

Meow 'wraps up warm' Purr.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Unlimited

• IronGhost

• Ins0mniac

Top Posters In This Topic

An article on the BBC website talks about the impact of ice storms on various parts of the USA, with several deaths attributed to it, and some power blackouts.

Anyone here effected by it ?

Meow 'wraps up warm' Purr.

no i live in florida but my parents are up there...it's a winter wonderland!!...

I am now wishing to be there, RIGHT NOW! just to experience winter.

I got about a half inch of ice here. When I went outside for the first time that day it didn't even look like my house with all the tree branchs that were on the ground. I couldn't even get out of the back door of the garage because tree limbs were blocking it. It was nerve-racking trying to clear a path through the back yard with all the cracking that was going on overhead.

Edited by Ashigaru

Hmmm... Winter Wonderland is one thing... from what I've heard, the Ice Storms are Winter Warfare.

Meow Brrrrrrrrrr.

I avoid cold climates .....brrrr its all so chilling...its 72 and rainy; think i'll put on a jimmy buffet album and make some margaritas...

I learned that a tree branch landing on the roof above your room will get you out of bed pretty damn fast this week though. Although it would have been nice if it wasn't 4 in the morning.

I learned that a tree branch landing on the roof above your room will get you out of bed pretty damn fast this week though. Although it would have been nice if it wasn't 4 in the morning.

lol..that'll scare you good...i guess global warming skipped the US...

So far we have about 7" of snow and expecting a total of around 15", not to mention lake effect. Prolly could see about 18" total in some areas here. We had a lil ice mix last night, but no power outages or anything.

Edited by EnJay

Ice storms... ugh. If you're into gardening or landscaping your property ice storms can destroy years of work in a single night. Nothing can snap a tree in half faster than being coated by an inch of ice.

I avoid cold climates .....brrrr its all so chilling...its 72 and rainy; think i'll put on a jimmy buffet album and make some margaritas...

I do the same.........75 here .......and I'll be having the Negra Modelos today.

Edited by Aztec Warrior

I was effected indirectly. I was set to fly in to Kansas for a job interview. Interview was postponed until after the first of the year due to the winter storms.

I dont have Ice but im getting like 40-50 centimeters of snow. . . Glad i live far away from my work so I odnt have to go in :D

~Thanato

50 cm of snow :o ?

If that happened in the UK, we would have a state of emergency. The army would have been called out... and then immidiately run back inside again. The Government would have fallen... several times.... and probably bruised itself. All of the trains would have stopped running.... (so at least SOME things would be behaving as normal.)

Meow Purr.

I'm in northern Minnesota -- we have over a foot of snow on the ground, and have been routinely been plunging under 20-below-zero for the past couple of weeks. That's 20-below Fahrenheit, which is what, something like 30-below C???

I know one thing -- 40-below F. and 40-below C. are the same temperature!

Still, the winters are are nothing like they used to be -- one can really feel and see the effects of global warming here, and quite clearly.

Bloody Hell IronGhost.... -30 degrees CENTIGRADE... even AFTER global warming ? :o

How the heck do you keep your houses warm ? Let of small nuclear bombs every hour ?

Meow Purr.

We are just missing it... had about 4 inches of snow and then later in the evening it got washed away with the rain. 31F here at the moment. Last year I remember it being about -20F which I think is -40 C.

I just had to clear liker 1 and a half feet of snow from my front deck and then had to clear like 1/4 foot about an hour and a half later. So far no sign of stopping.

~Thanato

Bloody Hell IronGhost.... -30 degrees CENTIGRADE... even AFTER global warming ? :o

How the heck do you keep your houses warm ? Let of small nuclear bombs every hour ?

Meow Purr.

One word, Cat: PLUTONIUM

Meow Purr.

But seriously, the signs of global warming here are many. For example, in my 6-county area, a count of more than 4,000 moose was recorded here. Today, there are fewer than 100 moose left. The fast die-off of the moose has been clearly tagged on global warming -- woodticks are able to stay alive and feed on moose all winter sometimes, there are new warm weather parasites being found in the moose remains, and acid rain has leached essential heavy metals, such as trace elements of copper, out of the food chain, weakening moose ability to carry pregnacies to term.

There are new species of ticks and other insects here now, that once were only found far south of here.

Certain strains ot wheat that have been grown here for more than a century now fail more often. New southern strains of wheat are being introduced to cope.

Despite the ususal spate of - 30 -- to -40 below F days -- the winters here for the past 10 years have been eerily mild -- it's all everyone talks about. The old-timers are amazed at how mild winter are now, and how fast it has changed.

Incidentally, the record cold for my area was 60-below-zero, which occured in 1995. I think 60 below F is something like 50 below centigrade.

It sure is hard to start a car on those kinds of days.

Edited by IronGhost

B

Incidentally, the record cold for my area was 60-below-zero, which occured in 1995. I think 60 below F is something like 50 below centigrade.

It sure is hard to start a car on those kinds of days.

And if you have a fire... how are you going to extinguish it ? Water, dry powder, and foam extinguishers long gave up the ghost. AT -50 degrees centigrade, your CO2 extinguishers willl be blowing chunks.

Ye gods... and us Limeys complain about -2 centigrade ?

Meow Brrrrrrrrrr.

I just had to clear liker 1 and a half feet of snow from my front deck and then had to clear like 1/4 foot about an hour and a half later. So far no sign of stopping.

Same here...now it's now changed over to freezing rain and icing conditions. I'm located in the North East US (south of Boston).

I could seriously use some of that global warming right about now!

linked-image