Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

U.K. democracy in terminal decline

uk vorter participation corporate power

  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,603 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

The Guardian said:


A study into the state of democracy in Britain over the last decade warns it is in "long-term terminal decline" as the power of corporations keeps growing, politicians become less representative of their constituencies and disillusioned citizens stop voting or even discussing current affairs.

The report by Democratic Auditshared exclusively with the Guardian notes there have been many positive advances over the last 10 years: stronger select committees of MPs holding ministers and civil servants to account; devolution of power to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and publication of much more information about politicians' expenses and party donors. But it found evidence of many other areas where Britain appeared to have moved further away from its two benchmarks of representative democracy: control over political decision-making, and how fairly the system reflects the population it represents – a principle most powerfully embedded in the concept of one person, one vote.

Read more


A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    surd

  • Member
  • 10,831 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Blame aimed at the voters(or, increasingly), non-voters as per usual ......... politicians ignoring the fact that they themselves don't offer anything worth voting for.

"We lack an HONOURABLE elite"

This ..... this is your life as it passed before other people's eyes.

italics don't really work in comic sans, do they? :/                                                                                      

#3    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Britain is screwed anyway, the people in power - joke.
these people have'nt got a clue about day to day living for most of the populace.

The whole country is in decline, and people dont really care because there
happy in there day to day lives, living just above the bread line, watching there soaps and jeremy kyle.

Sad state of affairs i know, but untill the masses wake up and see whats accutally happening nothing will change.

Still, the people in power know what good for us.

As for people not "discussing current affairs" etc the power people have employed divide and conquer tactics.
plus the fact the price of going out to the pub is robbery, the pub being a place where people can meet and talk about stuff, work, living, etc
it can't be done for most famillies.

still my 2 cents...

nice post OP. :tu:

Edited by Super-Fly, 06 July 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#4    Varelse

Varelse

    Unanimous Animous

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Joined:11 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Two old pals, a French and British man were walking along the beach arguing over which of their country's was better. Suddenly they stumbled over a dingy vase half buried in the sand. As they both reached down to pick it up at the same time and brush it off a Genie pops out and says "You have awoken the Great Genie from a long, long sleep. I usually grant two wishes but since you both found me I will give you one each!"

The British gentleman, still feeling a little chapped about his old pals comments said "Me first!" "I want an impenetrable wall, 20 meters high and 3 meters thick and 20 meters deep built around my great land so no frenchmen can ever set foot in her again!" The genie says "your wish is my command".

The frenchmen, a little more cautious with his one wish, asks the genie "this wall is 20m high?" yes. "20m deep? yes. "Impenetrable?" Absolutely thundered the genie.  His friend is smiling ear to ear.

The frenchman says back to the genie "Well then, fill it with water!"

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.

#5    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostSuper-Fly, on 06 July 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

plus the fact the price of going out to the pub is robbery, the pub being a place where people can meet and talk about stuff, work, living, etc
it can't be done for most famillies.


Yip, same way they are trying to take out internet freedom, so we can't share our views on here. They don't like us discussing things and bouncing ideas of each other.



View PostFramling, on 07 July 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Two old pals, a French and British man were walking along the beach arguing over which of their country's was better. Suddenly they stumbled over a dingy vase half buried in the sand. As they both reached down to pick it up at the same time and brush it off a Genie pops out and says "You have awoken the Great Genie from a long, long sleep. I usually grant two wishes but since you both found me I will give you one each!"

The British gentleman, still feeling a little chapped about his old pals comments said "Me first!" "I want an impenetrable wall, 20 meters high and 3 meters thick and 20 meters deep built around my great land so no frenchmen can ever set foot in her again!" The genie says "your wish is my command".

The frenchmen, a little more cautious with his one wish, asks the genie "this wall is 20m high?" yes. "20m deep? yes. "Impenetrable?" Absolutely thundered the genie.  His friend is smiling ear to ear.

The frenchman says back to the genie "Well then, fill it with water!"


That's also used in a Scottishman, Irishman and Englishman joke. lol

Edited by Coffey, 07 July 2012 - 05:24 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 July 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Yip, same way they are trying to take out internet freedom, so we can't share our views on here. They don't like us discussing things and bouncing ideas of each other.

absolutly right.
i think the same about the fuss the government is making about cheap hooch in supermarkets.

what me and a few friends have started doing is going round each other house and meeting up.
the booze is baught from the supermarket.

i think some have been doing this for ages now, but its good. everyone has a good time, drink and chat,
im suprised more and more by the way people are thinking. (more seeing the farse for what it is)

cheers!

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#7    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostSuper-Fly, on 07 July 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

absolutly right.
i think the same about the fuss the government is making about cheap hooch in supermarkets.

what me and a few friends have started doing is going round each other house and meeting up.
the booze is baught from the supermarket.

i think some have been doing this for ages now, but its good. everyone has a good time, drink and chat,
im suprised more and more by the way people are thinking. (more seeing the farse for what it is)

cheers!


Yeah me and my friends do that as well. Save some money a side for a full on night our every 2nd month and spend the rest of the social time round soemones house. Even though a lot of my friends are settling down now and it's becoming less of a thing. But everyone has the internet to talk anyway.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    TSS

TSS

    Observer

  • Closed
  • 5,750 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2008

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Problem is.....if they told us how it really is, they'd be booted out of office for not telling us what we want to hear. We get the idiots we deserve...


#9    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    surd

  • Member
  • 10,831 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 07 July 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Problem is.....if they told us how it really is, they'd be booted out of office for not telling us what we want to hear. We get the idiots we deserve...
But they don't tell us what we want to hear anyway!
If you feel you deserve the government we have,well ...... fine. I, for one, do not believe we deserve them.

This ..... this is your life as it passed before other people's eyes.

italics don't really work in comic sans, do they? :/                                                                                      

#10    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 07 July 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Problem is.....if they told us how it really is, they'd be booted out of office for not telling us what we want to hear. We get the idiots we deserve...

View Postouija ouija, on 07 July 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

But they don't tell us what we want to hear anyway!
If you feel you deserve the government we have,well ...... fine. I, for one, do not believe we deserve them.

I agree with Ouija her, but I can see where Scanner is coming from. If he means the majority of people are stupid sheep, then I agree with that. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#11    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostCoffey, on 07 July 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Yeah me and my friends do that as well.
But everyone has the internet to talk anyway.

iIs a good crack, social time!
The internet is ok, for the time being!!

i think i heard caniada was doing this ages ago (like 2 yrs ago)

take care!

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#12    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Although the OP mentions UK as the place where democracy is in decline, methink it is the same everywhere a democracy was in place.  Lots of socialists are blaming the capitalim system calling corporations great evil (which they are) but honestly is that real capitalism or is it oligarchy?  Also, methink oligarchs have no borders nor allegiance to any countries.  They want the whole thing.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#13    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

    A bit dull

  • Member
  • 26,868 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Ministry of Love

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 06 July 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Blame aimed at the voters(or, increasingly), non-voters as per usual ......... politicians ignoring the fact that they themselves don't offer anything worth voting for.

"We lack an HONOURABLE elite"
yes, I love that; "well, if you don't vote, then you've no right to complain". [smug face] As I read someone say the other day, actually if you do choose to exercise your democratic right*, then you're just colluding in the whole corrupt and hopeless system. You're saying, in effect, that you approve of it.

* irony

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#14    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

    A bit dull

  • Member
  • 26,868 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Ministry of Love

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostParacelse, on 08 July 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Although the OP mentions UK as the place where democracy is in decline, methink it is the same everywhere a democracy was in place.  Lots of socialists are blaming the capitalim system calling corporations great evil (which they are) but honestly is that real capitalism or is it oligarchy?  Also, methink oligarchs have no borders nor allegiance to any countries.  They want the whole thing.
The mega-corporations are, as a wise person* has remarked before, the very opposite of the spirit of Free Trade and entrepreneurism, aren't they; they don't compete with each other, they collude to wrap the market (i.e. everyone who depends on the service they provide) up between them, and they just snap up anyone who does dare to offer any competition or get their Lawyers to stamp on them. Therefore giant mega-corporations reduce competition and Freedom of Choice. It's exactly the same in the political market, they behave in exactly the same way as mega-corporations.

* me

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#15    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 06 July 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Blame aimed at the voters(or, increasingly), non-voters as per usual ......... politicians ignoring the fact that they themselves don't offer anything worth voting for.

"We lack an HONOURABLE elite"

You know I don't know 1 person who voted for David Cameron.

I also found it strange that before he was voted in, there was an ITV program about his wife.... As though they knew he would be PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users