Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain Scans of Presidential Candidates?

Karlis

Call for Brain Scans of Presidential Candidates to Detect Mental Health Problems

(NaturalNews) A neuropsychiatrist who runs a chain of private brain-scanning clinics has issued a call to scan the brains of presidential candidates in an opinion piece published in the Los Angeles Times.

Dr. Daniel G. Amen is the chief executive officer of the Amen Clinics, which carry out brain scans in order to diagnose and manage everything from physical brain trauma to anxiety, depression, school failure, underachievement, aggression, obsessive compulsive disorder and the effects of drugs and alcohol.

The American Psychiatric Association does not currently recommend brain scans for clinical or diagnostic purposes.

In the article, Amen says that brain scans could help warn of mental abnormalities that voters need to know about before electing someone to high office. He compares such scans to the complete medical history of the president that the White House issues each year, or to the questions about the health and age of candidates that are often debated during elections.

"As a neuropsychiatrist and brain-imaging expert, I want our elected leaders to be some of the 'brain healthiest people' in the land," Amen writes.

Amen notes that President Ronald Reagan clearly exhibited the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease during his second term, which led to unelected officials taking over the reigns of government. Brain examinations, he says, have shown success in detecting Alzheimer's between five and nine years before symptoms appear - which, in Reagan's case, would have been before his first term in office.

Amen also questions whether Clinton or the current president might not have brain abnormalities.

"President Clinton's moral lapses and problems with bad judgment and excitement seeking behavior," Amen writes, are "indicative of problems in the prefrontal cortex."

Meanwhile, President George W. Bush's "struggles with language and emotional rigidity are symptoms of temporal lobe pathology."

"Maybe we shouldn't leave the health of our president's brain to chance," Amen says. "We have the tools; shouldn't we look?"

See: Source

I wonder how many potential candidates this could eliminate? ^_^

Karlis

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dowdy

• Cradle of Fish

• Space Commander Travis

• thatgrimlife

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If Meglomania can be detected I think we can eliminate 99% of them.

Before you know it, we'll all have brain problems! I stutter sometimes... what does that mean!? I like to speed, and sometimes do make bad judgements. Does that mean I have the same problem as Clinton?

Okay, silliness over. Honestly, I think this would give us a good insight -- but unless it's a serious defect, all I see is paranoia running through the voter's minds. Like, let's vote for So-and-So. Oh no, can't do that. They might get Alzheimer's.

McCain would be eliminated - he's already half senile. He contradicts his own arguments sometimes!

brain scan of the current occupant of the post....

... hello? anyone there?

McCain would be eliminated - he's already half senile. He contradicts his own arguments sometimes!

And what is Barack's excuse?

They already went through medical tests and released their charts already I believe and they were found to be in good health.

It really surprised me when I found out that George Bush and better test scores than John Kerry.

I never expected that.

And what is Barack's excuse?

They already went through medical tests and released their charts already I believe and they were found to be in good health.

He just a lap dog and does what the people want to hear.

America is screwed either way

i think you have to be a bit mental to want the job in the first place, who wants all that aggro and worries 24/7. no sane person,