Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

300 Million Year Old Machinery Found

vladivostok

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#31    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,740 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostChooky88, on 22 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Aluminium is something that would take last that long. Who makes gears out of it anyway?

You MIGHT find aluminium gears where required (lightweight - minimal use) but ordinarily it does not have sufficient mechanical strength to be used continuously, or under heavy load conditions.

#32    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,200 posts

• Question everything

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 22 January 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

You MIGHT find aluminium gears where required (lightweight - minimal use) but ordinarily it does not have sufficient mechanical strength to be used continuously, or under heavy load conditions.

That's assuming it's even a gear. They're going entirely by it's superficial resemblance to the rack half of a rack and pinion. Could be almost anything.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#33    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Riveting tale.

#34    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,196 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

If you look really closely to it you can see the Sony trademark on the bottom,next to the old price tag,and part number!
Welll Its a start ! :clap:

This is a Work in Progress!

#35    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostDBunker, on 21 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

300 million year old piece of aluminum machinery..... Would someone be shocked if this turned out to be BS? :lol:

Not one bit, considering the source of the article.

View PostOniomancer, on 21 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

...snip

That established, the first question we should ask is where did the coal come from? An underground mine, a strip mine or reclaimed salvage, like mudlarks used to do with bits of coal lost in the Thames during offloading?  The item wasn't found until the consumer had got ahold of it so the coal could've come from anywhere and the item imbedded at any step of way who knows when. A strip mine for instance makes a huge difference as that's all surface mining.

The specimen itself may be questionable in that while most of it has the characteristic glassy sheen of solid coal, the area immediately around the contact point with the imbedded metal appears almost powdery and unconsolidated. The corrosion apparent on the object is meaningless, as aluminum is known to weather rather quickly when exposed to mercury, which destroys it's protective oxide layer. The fact that the inner surface appears almost undamaged suggests it wasn't sitting in any bog for millions of years waiting for coalification to set in.

I was thinking the same. It's the consumer that found the object, just before firing it up. Seems to me that there is plenty of time for an object to be accidentally wedged into a piece of coal, between the mine and the man.

View Postkeithisco, on 22 January 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Aluminium is used in transportation as sheet, tube, castings, in construction, in many things really. There are numerous ways it could have ended up in the coal

Edited by TheSearcher, 22 January 2013 - 06:55 PM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#36    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

coooooool  you cant trust those scientist guys !  i bet they are wrong with the date !  i only hope its ufo origin :D

#37    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,764 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostHMS Dreadnought, on 21 January 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

That article just doesn't ring true to me especially with all the other outlandish claims in it, why have we not heard of them before?

Never heard of OOPART (out of place artifacts) before? google it.

hey, the Hopi Indians have always said that there have been other "worlds" on planet earth before us. maybe they're right

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps, 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you"

~ Justin ~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#38    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,764 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 22 January 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Age, in this case, would be determined (probably) by the context in which it was found. Finding it in a Carboniferous seam of coal would place it between 360 - 286 Million years old.

I think this is some kind of hoax, or has not been investigated with any rigour... saying that, there are lots of interesting OOPArts in the world (Out Of Place Artefacts) which are sometimes difficult to fully explain.

uh huh. like the 100 million year old fossilized finger  of a man.

http://thebiggestsec...ger-oopart.html

lots of stuff like htat has been found over the years.

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you"

~ Justin ~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#39    kennyray47

kennyray47

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

modern man looks at objects from the perspective of modern man what looks like a hammer could be a weapon.

#40    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,443 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Another question that interests Russian scientists is whether the aluminum alloy is of Earthly origin. It is known from the study of meteorites that there exists extra-terrestrial aluminum-26 which subsequently breaks down to magnesium-26. The presence of 2 percent of magnesium in the alloy might well point to the alien origin of the aluminum detail. It could also be evidence of some past, unknown civilization on Earth. Nonetheless, further testing is needed to confirm this hypothesis.

Uhhhhh.... Magnesium is one of the most commonly alloyed metal with aluminum. Along with Silicon, Iron, Copper and ZInc. 2% is not unusual. Not even right here on Earth.

http://www.luskmetal...m/chemalum.html

I'm going to go with the theory that it came from the processing of the coal. Looks to me like it could be teeth from some kind of roller on a conveyor belt.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#41    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,480 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Is aluminm ever in pure form in nature, like gold can be?

#42    TheOtherSide1945

TheOtherSide1945

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

• "Some men just want to see the world burn" Alfred

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

looks like a weapon or hammer.

#43    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,196 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

First one with the right answer will win an All expenses paid trip for two on the Mars wackin-bush  Imaginary Space Hotel Ship ! All aboard !!

Edited by DONTEATUS, 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM.

This is a Work in Progress!

#44    Wreck7

Wreck7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 230 posts

• Eat right, Exercise daily, Die anyway.......

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

I once found a glass marble on a conveyor belt coming from a coal crusher. I never could figure out how it got there. It had to come from inside the coal.

#45    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

I do not get how this is not possibly natural formation to be quite honest.

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users