Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is your own mobile phone spying on you ?

UM-Bot

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has claimed that governments can take control of anyone's smartphone.

During an interview with the BBC's current affairs documentary series Panorama, the former CIA employee described how world governments including the US and the UK have the ability to take over a mobile phone by doing nothing more than sending a specially crafted text message.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-spying-on-you

Who has their phone serviced?

Its not just cell phones, its laptops, tablets, smart tv's, smart watches, they can crack into anything if you dont take precautions

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin
  • Like 2

I like my spying done the old fashion way, with sickly nerds in asbestos filled rooms, slamming down coke.....a-colas.......while investigating the guy with a revealingly Russian accent whose only ties to the mother land are fleeing from her 17 years ago.

It's those damn Smurfs. I never trusted them. Never trust anyone blue.

• Like 4

Ironically the best platform for keeping your computer spyware free is also the most revealing and liberal with your data. Forced iCloud sync to a database that apparently isn't that hard to crack...ask any celebrity that experienced the "fappening" lol

• Like 3

Ironically the best platform for keeping your computer spyware free is also the most revealing and liberal with your data. Forced iCloud sync to a database that apparently isn't that hard to crack...ask any celebrity that experienced the "fappening" lol

That's why I never put anything personal on a "Cloud drive". I put software I downloaded and don't want to lose if my computer crashes for some reaso0n. That makes it much easier to rebuild.

The CIA can hijack my camera on my phone. All they are going to see 85% of the time is my shirt as I keep my phone in it's belt clip unless I'm using it. Seeing that my conversations are with my wife going over what's for dinner or my daughter or Dad who's in a home 500 mile from me, they can tape all of that they want and be bored to death.

• Like 1

Spying is censorship. There is no question that people behave differently when being watched

• Like 1

Who has their phone serviced?

Its not just cell phones, its laptops, tablets, smart tv's, smart watches, they can crack into anything if you dont take precautions

Yeah but smartphones are the worst since they can use GPS, Wi-Fi and geolocalisation data to track one's every movements. Most people bring their phone just about everywhere with them (a lot more than a laptop or tablet) are connected to the web on a 3/4G network and are using some popular apps on the go.

10 Ways Your Smartphone Knows Where You Are:

Link: http://www.pcworld.c...re_you_are.html

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 3

This has been possible for a LONG time. I remember hearing about this maybe 10 years ago. The microphone can be switched on remotely and a one-way connection opened, even when the phone is on standby. You would never know.

It's also possible to triangulate a mobile phone's possition between masts. So you don't even need GPS to track it, it just needs a signal. Basically by carrying a mobile phone you are voluntarily carrying a tracking device (unless you take the battery out) :P

The encryption on wi-fi "smart TVs" etc are usually easy to hack since the encryption is pathetic (assuming it even has any at all) and they are full of security holes. Sometimes all you need is wireshark and a couple of other tools, and once it gives your wi-fi key away someone can access your whole network. Your neighbour could be spying on you through it's camera for lols. I know of a few people who used to hack in to neighours wi-fi devices to tap free internet. Even wi-fi printers aren't safe :P

Edited by Finity
  • Like 3

I work tech support for a cell phone company. Totally possible. So much you can learn from hacking a device.

I had an old guy going beserk thinking that someone had hacked his phone and was having his calls tapped. I asked him he talks to that would be of interest to the government? He said he only talks to his wife. I asked, well, are you talking about making bombs or selling drugs. Of course not, he says. Well, what do you talk about that's being recorded. Well, his wife tells him to pick up milk from the store and what bills to pay. Well, I will have to say that our tax dollars are going to waste on that Intel.

• Like 1

Everything that we use from our Cell phones, tablets, to computers can be used as surveillance. People think that they can buy cell phones with two sim cards but the problem is that the sim cards are what's been compromised to begin with. There was a bunch of news items in the last 6 months suggesting just that. You can't protect against surveillance when the back door is literally in the sim card on the phone.

Welcome to Orwell's worst nightmare. The irony everyone is now guilty of something.

• Like 1

i often wonder, what exactly is the "usage data" Google (and all the 3rd party apps for that matter) collects.

Even though i dont have (much of) anything to hide, i'd still like to see the actual data they leech.

With our dependence on smart phones, it makes it difficult to not be a victim.

i mean, what are you gonna do? Ditch the phone all together and go 'off the grid'?

Google is big brother and the NSA is Google's big daddy.

You could say they have an incestuous relationship.

Now before i end my rambling nonsense, i do have to ask...

Where's the outrage?

When Snowden blew the lid off this lil' pot of corruption, the American people stood for it.

i didn't really expect a cival war, but damn, something more than nothing would have been reassuring.

• Like 1

i often wonder, what exactly is the "usage data" Google (and all the 3rd party apps for that matter) collects.

Even though i dont have (much of) anything to hide, i'd still like to see the actual data they leech.

They are selling data in aggregated form to third-parties, mostly informations related to browsing habbits, preferences, interests ect. so that advertising providers can tailor ads specifically for your needs that Google display on the web to generate revenues. They use tracking cookies, analytics, Google apps ect. to collect the bulk.

Google's products are not really 'free'. If you are not paying for it, you are the product.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 1

They are selling data in aggregated form to third-parties, mostly informations related to browsing habbits, preferences, interests ect. so that advertising providers can tailor ads specifically for your needs that Google display on the web to generate revenues. They use tracking cookies, analytics, Google apps ect. to collect the bulk.

Google's products are not really 'free'. If you are not paying for it, you are the product.

I'd like to know what Google thinks are my needs. I don't think I've ever seen any ads on youtUbe or any other Google service that are related in any way to what they believe are my needs. Apart from mature dating, of course. And Muslim dating. Draw what conclusions from that you like, I suppose . :blush:
  • Like 1

Useful info, thanks bud.

Btw, that last line in your reply, absolutely love it!

I'd like to know what Google thinks are my needs. I don't think I've ever seen any ads on youtUbe or any other Google service that are related in any way to what they believe are my needs. Apart from mature dating, of course. And Muslim dating. Draw what conclusions from that you like, I suppose . :blush:

From what i see, they push ad's and play store suggestions based on things i've searched in the past.

But not the thing's i give a damn about. It's stuff pertaining to these one off searches i do when i'm bored.

Silly big brother, you need to pay more attention... Er, maybe not.

I get adds on web pages for items I've just searched for almost immediately after searching. Google does it, Yahoo does it, they all do it. ever see uclick sites in your cookies?

By 'needs' it can simply be something you are interested in or are looking for on the internet. Let's say you are looking for a nice chess set. You Google 'chess sets', visit popular chess websites, amazon, ebay ect. Google's tracking cookie planted on your computer will record all about your browsing habbits until you clear the cache to remove it. So you might be browsing the web at some point and an ad about a 'chess store' or a 'chess sets discount' pops up out of nowhere.. How strange! Well, not really since targeted advertisement is all about tracking web users and invade on their privacy to generate revenues.

Edited by Draco20

It's no different that everybody's PC or laptop or notebook or tablet that's running Microsoft's Windows operating system. They all contain backdoors for the spying agencies to use whenever they feel like it. As long as you're connected to the Internet, you're vulnerable.

• Like 1

By 'needs' it can simply be something you are interested in or are looking for on the internet. Let's say you are looking for a nice chess set. You Google 'chess sets', visit popular chess websites, amazon, ebay ect. Google's tracking cookie planted on your computer will record all about your browsing habbits until you clear the cache to remove it. So you might be browsing the web at some point and an ad about a 'chess store' or a 'chess sets discount' pops up out of nowhere.. How strange! Well, not really since targeted advertisement is all about tracking web users and invade on their privacy to generate revenues.

Well, now on you Tube I've been offered an Ad for a popular brand of sanitary product. And no, I haven't been browsing them. -_-

Funny thing was we were told about this NSA spying 10 years ago and no one listened.

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1639

from the article: President Bush’s authorization of the monitoring of Americans’ e-mails and phone calls by the National Security Agency (NSA) without even the minimal protection of FISA court warrants is clearly unconstitutional and illegal. Executive searches without judicial review violate the unique checks and balances that the nation’s founders created in the U.S. government and are a considerable threat to American liberty.

I pity the poor spook who's hacking into my phone/ computer and such like. He must be bored witless with the lack of texts on the phone, and the amount of cute kitty videos I watch... :yes: