Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flashing light

spirithunter62014

Hey everyone, I have a question and want some opinions.

A little bit about myself. I am a fifty year old man and for as far back as I can remember I have been what my mother called a sensitive. I have always been aware of shadow people and disembodied entities, I hear the occasional voice from nowhere and experience the random odd thing happening. It's like I am a paranormal magnet. Wherever I am, crazy things seem to happen. I have seen objects move by themselves, had a few things thrown at me, been pushed and pinched and a full bodied elderly male apparition walks through my house every evening at nine. My son (also a sensitive), my girlfriend and my dog have also seen the man.

Before anyone asks, I have never felt a need to try to photograph or record any of the stuff that happens around me. Seriously, I see enough stuff, I don't really want to know everything that happens around me. I know it happens and have no need to try to prove it to anyone else, I'll let all the TV ghost hunter folks do that.

Several times in my life, the last time being about twenty minutes ago, I see a bright flash of light. It's like someone with a flash on a camera just took my picture. Sometimes they sort of make a popping noise. I have seen them during the day, at night, inside, outdoors. Some are at a distance, one happened right on the tip of my nose and almost knocked me down.This last one happened in the upper corner of my bedroom as I was sitting here watching a movie. I live in the middle of a cornfield so there is little light pollution, no reflective surfaces, no wiring or electrical fixtures in that corner.

Has anyone else ever seen these? Most things, like the guy that walks through my house, I can justify in my own mind as residual energy, someone on the other side trying to communicate, etc. I can't explain the flash. I have seen swamp gas and St. Elmo's fire, it's not that. It's not an electric arc or plasma. Not ball lightning or a reflection. Orb perhaps? Some weird space time thing. Inter dimensional?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

• Like 2

Ask the old man where's he goin.

• Like 2

I think there's much more life on this planet than what most people are able to see or sense or experience. As for explanations, there are those who claim to know, there are those who deny the experience, and then there's people like me, probably the biggest group, who have no explanations and no clues as to what's going on. And there have been times when I've just turned my head and pretended not to see; I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with me, it just happens to occur in my vicinity. I think maybe it's an interdimensional thing, two or more realities overlapping maybe. I don't think anybody knows for sure. Honestly, I feel really stupid even typing interdimensional, but I don't know where else to go with it except to admire the complexity and depth of life on our mother ship.

• Like 3

I'd say its no different in nature than the poltergeists you've been witnessing. Some inter-dimensional energy interaction.

Oh and welcome to UM :)

And yet you then say:

Before anyone asks, I have never felt a need to try to photograph or record any of the stuff that happens around me.

And why not, pray tell? Do you not think that perhaps, such efforts might just help us a tiny little bit in any quest to explain them..?

Followed by..

Seriously, I see enough stuff, I don't really want to know everything that happens around me.

:cry: ???

Well, I'll be off then...

• Like 4

ChrLzs

I'm glad you're off then. Do you know what it's like to see paranormal things every day whether you want to or not.? To be made fun of as a kid because you see spooks. Prolly not dude. I don't want to record/document because I have better things to do with my life than spend my nights running around in the dark with a bunch of electronics and my days posting my results to the net for trolls to hack away at. I have seen things that would probably make you run home to your mommy. So no, I have no desire to "see or hear" all of the things that are happening around me, nor do I have any desire to be a ghost buster/hunter/adventurer... I was asking a simple question about the flash. I suppose I could set up a camera and wait for thousands of hours to catch it on media, that way you could see what a "flash" is. I know, hard to really imagine a "flash like a camera flash" right. Don't be a dog snoopy. It was late, I was tired, maybe I didn't make myself clear. Be gone.

• Like 1

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

A little bit about myself. I am a fifty year old man and for as far back as I can remember I have been what my mother called a sensitive. I have always been aware of shadow people and disembodied entities, I hear the occasional voice from nowhere and experience the random odd thing happening. It's like I am a paranormal magnet. Wherever I am, crazy things seem to happen. I have seen objects move by themselves, had a few things thrown at me, been pushed and pinched and a full bodied elderly male apparition walks through my house every evening at nine. My son (also a sensitive), my girlfriend and my dog have also seen the man.

Before anyone asks, I have never felt a need to try to photograph or record any of the stuff that happens around me. Seriously, I see enough stuff, I don't really want to know everything that happens around me. I know it happens and have no need to try to prove it to anyone else, I'll let all the TV ghost hunter folks do that.

Several times in my life, the last time being about twenty minutes ago, I see a bright flash of light. It's like someone with a flash on a camera just took my picture. Sometimes they sort of make a popping noise. I have seen them during the day, at night, inside, outdoors. Some are at a distance, one happened right on the tip of my nose and almost knocked me down.This last one happened in the upper corner of my bedroom as I was sitting here watching a movie. I live in the middle of a cornfield so there is little light pollution, no reflective surfaces, no wiring or electrical fixtures in that corner.

Has anyone else ever seen these? Most things, like the guy that walks through my house, I can justify in my own mind as residual energy, someone on the other side trying to communicate, etc. I can't explain the flash. I have seen swamp gas and St. Elmo's fire, it's not that. It's not an electric arc or plasma. Not ball lightning or a reflection. Orb perhaps? Some weird space time thing. Inter dimensional?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hey there! Welcome! I'm two years younger than you, and I feel I'm a sensitive too. I love your thoughts on various things.

Now on to the flashing lights. I don't know if you mentioned if it was out of the peripheral part of your vision? I ask that, because that is when I will see, on occasion, sparkling lights and movement. And of course I turn my head to it, and nothing is there. Now, I would debunk that away as seeing something normal, and my peripheral vision making it look different. The thing is, your experiences spark this something in me about my experiences. I wonder if, if it is your peripheral vision, that things tend to show brighter from there, like looking at a star in the sky.

If it happens right in front of you, I don't know. I am intrigued. I wonder what the popping sounds mean?

Now, if we look at this in a different mode, could it be your eye sight? I have noticed my eyes would make things vibrate. Sometimes, I would little bits of tiny sparks of light. No sounds though. Really gets kind of unsettling at night with the lights off. The thing is, and it's me rationalizing this in all ways, that my eyes are doing this. Some kind of eye movement reaction.

I'm just seeing this in two various ways.

This will probably be dismissed form the get go, but googling "popping ears produce flash of light" comes up wih multiple hits about inner ear problems, vertigo and dizziness and exploding head syndrome.

Inner ear problems are more occurant in the older person and such symptoms are more common.

Despite you being a sensitive and having many undocumented experiences, not wishing to record these butblet the jokers on tv do it i stead, id get your ears checked as ears and eyes are connected.

Take that as you will, im not believing nor disbelieving, but it may be an explanation.

• Like 7

i had a similar experience about a week ago.

It was 5 in the morning and i was standing outside on the front porch.

To my right, i could have sworn that the support post lit up, twice.

It was illuminated just like someone had taken a picture with the flash on.

i looked around and couldn't find a reasonable cause.

My conclusion is, that it was just my eyes, possibly ear related, as success pointed out.

That, or a ghost with a camera. :huh:

• Like 1

Several times in my life, the last time being about twenty minutes ago, I see a bright flash of light. It's like someone with a flash on a camera just took my picture. Sometimes they sort of make a popping noise. I have seen them during the day, at night, inside, outdoors. Some are at a distance, one happened right on the tip of my nose and almost knocked me down.This last one happened in the upper corner of my bedroom as I was sitting here watching a movie.

Hello, welcome to UM. If that was happening to me I would be alarmed at seeing random flashing lights, that could indicate a health problem. Although you seem very laid back about it, have you ever had your eyes checked out just to make sure?

• Like 2

I see flashing lights about once a month. over a year ago i was struck by a car gave me serious TBI <bad headache>! Anyways since then i will have a day on occasion where i feel very disconnected from our world. Feels like im in a fantasy world. cause me no harm and i get through these days fine. On these <bad head> days i will all during the daylight only notice someone has just taken my picture. I saw the flash, where are they? Someone seems to be out with a flashlight in the woods, where did they go? Anyways Drs said its just part of the brain injury and it may go away with time. I know our situations are different....just saying "i see lights on my crazy days!" :w00t:

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 1

I see flashing lights about once a month. over a year ago i was struck by a car gave me serious TBI <bad headache>! Anyways since then i will have a day on occasion where i feel very disconnected from our world. Feels like im in a fantasy world. cause me no harm and i get through these days fine. On these <bad head> days i will all during the daylight only notice someone has just taken my picture. I saw the flash, where are they? Someone seems to be out with a flashlight in the woods, where did they go? Anyways Drs said its just part of the brain injury and it may go away with time. I know our situations are different....just saying "i see lights on my crazy days!" :w00t:

That explains me, maybe. I went through the windshield back in 1989. Well, kind of. Got a concussion.
  • Like 1

That explains me, maybe. I went through the windshield back in 1989. Well, kind of. Got a concussion.

Ouch!

Poor Stubbly, i'm sad to hear (see) that, but glad your alright. :tu:

• Like 1

ChrLzs

I'm glad you're off then. Do you know what it's like to see paranormal things every day whether you want to or not.? To be made fun of as a kid because you see spooks. Prolly not dude. I don't want to record/document because I have better things to do with my life than spend my nights running around in the dark with a bunch of electronics and my days posting my results to the net for trolls to hack away at. I have seen things that would probably make you run home to your mommy. So no, I have no desire to "see or hear" all of the things that are happening around me, nor do I have any desire to be a ghost buster/hunter/adventurer... I was asking a simple question about the flash. I suppose I could set up a camera and wait for thousands of hours to catch it on media, that way you could see what a "flash" is. I know, hard to really imagine a "flash like a camera flash" right. Don't be a dog snoopy. It was late, I was tired, maybe I didn't make myself clear. Be gone.

If you're seeing flashing lights, go to the doctor first. Don't just jump to wild speculation and claiming something is paranormal without any sort of critical thinking or research or medical examinations first. That's just absurd.

But, as ChrLzs pointed out, too many inconsistencies in your statement. And if you don't want to provide proof, then why claim anything at all? Not real sure what your purpose is by posting your story.

Seriously though, go get this checked out from a medical standpoint. Why take any chances?

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

• 5 months later...

The only inconsistency was his saying he doesn't really want to know, then asks opinions, but he's right. Anybody who has experienced doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. Once you've experienced, you know. Who cares what others think. Just asking for an opinion on something doesn't need proof. He wasn't even saying it was paranormal yet some people can't wait to pounce.

Thought this board was higher classed than that.

The only inconsistency was his saying he doesn't really want to know, then asks opinions, but he's right. Anybody who has experienced doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. Once you've experienced, you know. Who cares what others think. Just asking for an opinion on something doesn't need proof. He wasn't even saying it was paranormal yet some people can't wait to pounce.

:D :D

Can't resist replying.. First up, you did notice that this dates back to November 2014?

Second, read the thread carefully. You'll note that the only person the OP 'responded to' (using language a LOT harsher than I did..) was ... me.

So he ignored everyone who offered support and help, and instead focused all his energy on one person who (quite politely) offered a brief contrary viewpoint... What do you make of that, fld?

Do try to understand that this is a public forum, where differing views are NOT suppressed and we try to deal with and explain REAL mysteries..

Anyway, I'm just a dog and a troll according to the OP, so what would I know about politeness and class, right?

• Like 1

"First up, you did notice that this dates back to November 2014?" Sorry. Didn't know there was a time limit.

"You'll note that the only person the OP 'responded to ... was ... me." He came on to the board for opinions on his "light" and you attacked him. Why hould he have come back. Yo didn't have a different viewpoint...you attacked his person...just like most other skeptics/non believers.

Different opinions are good in debate...ridicule is not.

Have a nice day.

"First up, you did notice that this dates back to November 2014?" Sorry. Didn't know there was a time limit.

"You'll note that the only person the OP 'responded to ... was ... me." He came on to the board for opinions on his "light" and you attacked him. Why hould he have come back. Yo didn't have a different viewpoint...you attacked his person...just like most other skeptics/non believers.

Different opinions are good in debate...ridicule is not.

Have a nice day.

Ridicule seems to be a by-word used by those that can't back up a claim these days. If you can't back up a claim, then don't make a claim. If you want to just tell a story, then tell a story and don't make any claims about it.

There is nothing wrong with asking for proof. Too many closed-minded individuals get too uppity and down right hostile when someone merely asks. And while everyone has the right to post what they want (within the rules), everyone also has the right to ask--that's called discussion, not ridicule. Learn the difference please.

So you are saying that anyone who has an "experience" is correct in assuming they know what they saw simply because they saw it no matter how bizarre what they saw is? How about if someone is hallucinating because of a medical disorder or from having taken hallucinatory drugs, is what they see real as well? If someone is seeing flashing lights and transparent people passing through their living room every night, isn't there the possibility of some kind of medical condition as Thorvir suggested?

Which is the classier thing to do when someone tells you they are seeing things and every now and again a light flashes and goes boom in their head:

1. Tell them they are special because they can see ghosts, spirits and other things that have never been proven to exist.

2. Suggest they seek the care of a doctor as they may be suffering from an underlying brain disorder of some kind.

ChrLzs

You make it sound like it would be ridiculously difficult (see bolded) to take a video with your cell phone yet in your OP you clearly state:

"and a full bodied elderly male apparition walks through my house every evening at nine. My son (also a sensitive), my girlfriend and my dog have also seen the man."

How freakin' difficult is it to turn on your cell phone and snap a photo or record a video at 9PM in the middle of your living room? Are you lying about this apparition traipsing through your living room every night at 9PM or are you the laziest 50 year old man on earth? If you are the laziest 50 year old man ask your girlfriend to do it.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Thor...so do you think everyone who has an experience hasn't tried to explain it rationally first? Just for an example...if someone takes hundreds, thousands of pictures of orbs, isn't it likely one would learn the difference between an orb, dust, a bug, lens flare, etc.? If you ever have an experience, you will know the difference. The OP asked for opinions. Most others gave opinions while one busted on him personally. That's not looking for discussion and that is ridicule thank you. And closed minds work both sides of the fence!

Merc...and if the person is a straight up, normal, everyday person who doesn't do drugs or is medically challenged what do you say to that? Again, most people will look for a "normal" explaination first. And "not proven to exist". By whose standards? Scientists who are more worried about losing their money and tenior? Non believers who will not entertain the thought they don't know all there is to know?

Personally I don't care if you (collectively) believe or not. Ultimately it's your choice, but personal attacks has no place in a true discussion, exchanging of ideas.

Its FAR from ridicule.

If your car makes a noise which you cant explain when you brake, would you think its the head light switch?

Or would you get the brakes checked?

I posted about a medical condition which has been known to give the impression of a flash of light, has the OP been to see the doctor?

Guess we will never know.

You may aswell say:

Ive got type 2 diabetes, but ive not had the test, I just know I am diabetic.

And alot of posters seem to live by this:

Ive got a ghost in my house, but im not taking pictures, I just know its a ghost.

• Like 2

Merc...and if the person is a straight up, normal, everyday person who doesn't do drugs or is medically challenged what do you say to that?

Are you saying that straight-up, normal people don't develop tumors, don't become mentally ill, don't take too many pain killers by mistake? Unfortunately all these things happen far too often and are usually the answer to many of these more radical paranormal experiences.

Again, most people will look for a "normal" explaination first.

No, they don't. Many people that come here with these stories do NOT look for a rational explanation and in some cases they get rabidly angry, as this OP did, if you suggest such a solution.

And "not proven to exist". By whose standards? Scientists who are more worried about losing their money and tenior?

Oh come on now. A simple Google search will show you that many studies have been conducted at prestigious institutions and in the military to prove that various paranormal phenomenon exist and all those studies have come up dry for the most part. You are using a lazy excuse and an unfair condemnation of the scientific community to justify your desire to believe in this stuff.

Non believers who will not entertain the thought they don't know all there is to know?

I am quite aware of my ignorance but am always glad to learn. The problem is, every time I am offered an example of the paranormal it is either a fraud or explained easily by some normal or natural event.

Personally I don't care if you (collectively) believe or not. Ultimately it's your choice, but personal attacks has no place in a true discussion, exchanging of ideas.

I didn't see any personal attacks here but I did see the OP get angry when confronted. You seem to have skipped much of what I wrote above so I will ask again, why didn't the OP simply take a video or even snap an image of the entity that walks through his living room every night at 9PM? Don't you find it odd that he didn't? You conveniently skip over that and I'd like to ask why?

I know why but I'll wait for your answer. Don't worry, the OP will never post back on this thread again because he knows where it will end up.

Redefining success...brake and headlight? Huh? Actually it was my first thought, that he had some kind of thing happen where he saw flashes. I didn't chime in because a couple of others already did. It is not a lazy excuse for science, rather than science being lazy and just brushing it aside. There have also been studies where it's been proven something is happening but of course they get shoved aside for the mainstream way of looking at things. And how is it you know that posters live by your quote? You know them all in person or are you omnipotent?

Edited by fldinosaur

No, they don't. Many people that come here with these stories do NOT look for a rational explanation and in some cases they get rabidly angry, as this OP did, if you suggest such a solution.

Since I'm a newb and came here with a story, if I may ...

Probably I'm mostly to blame for not looking into this site further before joining and posting, but I guess I came here with the assumption that there would be more believers than skeptics. It is, after all, a site about the paranormal. I mean, I wouldn't expect there to be more atheists in a Christian forum than Christians, you know? Regardless, I didn't really have the intention of proving anything when I signed up. I had a strange experience, and because I am a social creature, I wanted to discuss this with others who have had similar experiences. I've been looking into these experiences and testing them for the better half of a decade, I know about every alternative explanation (e.g. ideomotor effect, carbon dioxide, brain abnormalities, infrasound, etc.), and I'd rather not have to "prove it" every time I tell the story, especially on a forum (or anywhere on the internet). Conducting a simple test with someone in person would be doable. But over a forum? Even if I had the strictest conditions for a scientific test, I can't provide video evidence in such a way that people wouldn't immediately dismiss as cleverly edited or faked in some other way. It's way too easy to edit a video or photoshop a picture.

I can understand being skeptical. I take every story I hear on the internet, ghost story or otherwise, with a large grain of salt. But do you honestly expect that random forum members are going to have undeniable, documented proof of the paranormal? Especially when most people only have one or two brief ghostly experiences per lifetime if they're lucky? And even if they did, do you think they would post that on a forum? I most certainly would not. I would take it straight to whatever ghost hunting show is popular at the moment and ask them for money.