Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

JOURNEY TO THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Test Subject

Test Subject

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

This was an absolutely fascinating program. The imagery was incredible and everything was presented in an organized manner that was easy to follow (despite the pesky commercial breaks).

One thing that stood out to me was the way they presented everything as fact. Never did they say "it is believed that..." or "studies indicate..." they presented this show as conclusions not theories.

Anyone familiar with the main source of their conclusions? The Spitzer Space Telescope?

Any insight to that question would be much appreciated as would any other comments on this show.

This is the year where hope fails you. The test subjects run the experiments, and the coward you love is the hero you hate. But cohesing is possible if we strive. Theres no reason, theres no lesson, no time like the present. I'm telling you right now...what have you got to lose? What have you got to lose except your soul?

#2    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

could be the hubble deep field.

the majority of things said when it comes to astronomy is theories.  astronomers cannot possibly prove everything they say.  we just accept these things as fact until we find something that makes even more sence or something with a bit more proof.

i prefer watching "the universe" on the history channel grin2.gif

Edited by dr alien, 06 March 2009 - 10:16 PM.

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#3    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

dr alien on Mar 6 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

could be the hubble deep field.

the majority of things said when it comes to astronomy is theories.  astronomers cannot possibly prove everything they say.  we just accept these things as fact until we find something that makes even more sence or something with a bit more proof.

i prefer watching "the universe" on the history channel grin2.gif

there has been some great stuff on Nat Geo and The Science channel. Sometimes the stuff on the History Channel is a bit old.

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

is this the video you mean? http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=JO...p;oq=&dur=3

#5    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,640 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

expandmymind on Mar 8 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

It doesn't matter how many times I watch videos like that, I never get bored of them.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#6    Wyvernkeeper

Wyvernkeeper

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

good video, made me laugh when the narrator snuck the gd bit onto the end...

#7    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

yeah i just finished watching it. one of the baldwin brothers narrating eh?

it was awesome though, i love programmes of that kind that help to understand the true extent of the vastness of the universe.

#8    Wyvernkeeper

Wyvernkeeper

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

expandmymind on Mar 8 2009, 04:10 PM, said:

yeah i just finished watching it. one of the baldwin brothers narrating eh?

it was awesome though, i love programmes of that kind that help to understand the true extent of the vastness of the universe.

If you liked that, there may be a bbc documentary called 'whats the time' that you might quite like... Not sure where you'd get hold of it but it might appear on bbc iplayer again.  It was presented by Dr Brian Cox and was trying to quantify what we see as time, very interesting... lots of huge eons and vast amounts of space that were discussed.

#9    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

Wyvernkeeper on Mar 9 2009, 12:47 AM, said:

If you liked that, there may be a bbc documentary called 'whats the time' that you might quite like... Not sure where you'd get hold of it but it might appear on bbc iplayer again.  It was presented by Dr Brian Cox and was trying to quantify what we see as time, very interesting... lots of huge eons and vast amounts of space that were discussed.

cant watch it on the iplayer atm. that things stupid as hell man. we pay a TV licence and we should be able to watch any of their, mostly crappy, shows anytime we want.

i searched for it on google aswell but no joy, it sounds cool though, think ill look for something similar.

#10    REBEL

REBEL

Esoteric Seeker

• 6,559 posts

• ''GONE FISH'N, BRB...''

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

Test Subject on Mar 7 2009, 07:12 AM, said:

Anyone familiar with the main source of their conclusions? The Spitzer Space Telescope?

Posted an article on that way back in the UFO forum.

Think they use it to map out ours and other galaxies, from a bird's eye view so to speak. Don't know how accurate it is tho(?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users