Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cop Accidentally Shoots His Mother At Wedding

Still Waters

A Kentucky police officer has been put on administrative leave after accidentally shooting his own mother at a wedding.

McCracken County Detective Cory Golightly, 32, was adjusting his jacket when the weapon fell and discharged through the holster as it hit the ground at the weekend.

His mother, who has not been named, Is in a stable condition in hospital.

http://news.sky.com/...ther-at-wedding

Dumb people shout not be allowed guns which begs the question of why cops are allowed guns!

• Like 3

This is similar to the gun that discharged the other day in Baltimore.

I hope this man gets some sort of grief counseling or mental health counseling. I understand his mother is still alive but I'm sure this has to have affected him mentally.

Very sad occurrence :(

• Like 1

Dumb people shout not be allowed guns which begs the question of why cops are allowed guns!

Oh George I think it was a pure accident. I wouldn't go so far as to call this man dumb. Accidents happen. He had it property stored in his holster.
McCracken County Detective Cory Golightly, 32, was adjusting his jacket when the weapon fell and discharged through the holster as it hit the ground at the weekend.

...and this article has a typo...should say *wedding* NOT *weekend*. Oh well.

I'm sure this guy feels like dirt already and needs mental attention and/or counseling.

The officer may be a perfectly trained gun handler / marksman with an untarnished record yet one freak event resulted in the shooting of his mother.

It was an accidental discharge, its like going shopping and dropping an item and having some one say stupid people shouldnt go shopping.

I seriously hope his mother gets well, I cant imagine the grief he is going through.

• Like 1

Hope she leaves everything to the "rehabilitation organization for the society of dumb ass cops awareness foundation" in her will.

"Accidentally"

Sure.. :whistle:

Wow you all are a pretty tough crowd today.

I would assume he was nervous because it was his wedding day. He fumbled with what he was doing and now he has to live with shooting his own Mother! I'm sure he didn't set out to kill anyone on his wedding day.

I have Empathy for this man. It's horrific. Unless I've totally missed something here I am unaware of I don't understand? Am I missing something? :unsure2:

Hope she leaves everything to the "rehabilitation organization for the society of dumb ass cops awareness foundation" in her will.

Seriously? What the heck? Wow.

The officer may be a perfectly trained gun handler / marksman with an untarnished record yet one freak event resulted in the shooting of his mother.

It was an accidental discharge, its like going shopping and dropping an item and having some one say stupid people shouldnt go shopping.

I seriously hope his mother gets well, I cant imagine the grief he is going through.

Exactly what I thought. Holy heck accidents happen.

I guess no one else has ever made a mistake, had an accident, broken anything or got anything wrong.

I aint ashamed to admit it, ive had a car come off the back of my spec lift, un even ground caused the wheels to turn and roll the straps off while it rolled off the frame, the car went down a hill and rested in a hedge, some damage but nothing major.

Does that make me dumb?

No, it was an unfortunate series of events and probably 1 incident in at least 3650 recoveries(lets say 1 recovery everyday for 10 years in the same job, although you did more some days than others).

Give the guy a break for crying out loud, id like to see half of the people who jump on the bandwagon do half as good a job.

Edited by Redefining Success
  • Like 1

Why's he taking a gun to a wedding?!!? Surely he should have had a few buddies there, fellow cops that could have been carrying guns for protection. Although I never realized things were so bad over there that grooms carry guns about on their wedding day!!

• Like 1

I guess no one else has ever made a mistake, had an accident, broken anything or got anything wrong.

Yes indeed. I'm the first to point out if I am wrong or make a mistake (and make fun of myself). I am in no way perfect or infallible; accidents happen.

Why's he taking a gun to a wedding?!!? Surely he should have had a few buddies there, fellow cops that could have been carrying guns for protection. Although I never realized things were so bad over there that grooms carry guns about on their wedding day!!

Some LEO's are required by their departments to carry a weapon with them at all times; whether or not they are on duty. My FBI-ex had to carry a gun all the time. Required by his career. Wedding's are no exception.
  • Like 3

Accidental discharges of a gun are prone to happen, the best way to prevent that is put the safety on.

Edited by Scholar4Truth

Wow you all are a pretty tough crowd today.

I would assume he was nervous because it was his wedding day. He fumbled with what he was doing and now he has to live with shooting his own Mother! I'm sure he didn't set out to kill anyone on his wedding day.

I have Empathy for this man. It's horrific. Unless I've totally missed something here I am unaware of I don't understand? Am I missing something? :unsure2:

Do men carry guns with them on their wedding day generally. Or do cops carry them all the time, no matter what day it is...wedding day? Wedding night? Do they never remove them or at least put the catch on or take the bullets out.

Ofcourse he did not mean it, but really...if he does this on his wedding day because of nerves, imagine what he could do in a situation which involved keeping your cool when faced with a volatile situation, is the the cop who would shoot an innocent man because he lost his nerve? Remember we are talking about a cop here.

Its not a case of protection, its the uniform and the gun is part of it, as is the hat, belt shirt and tie, you wouldnt go to a wedding with out any pants on.

A soldier wouldnt attend a parade or wedding with out his beret or squad insignia.

• Like 1

Some LEO's are required by their departments to carry a weapon with them at all times; whether or not they are on duty. My FBI-ex had to carry a gun all the time. Required by his career. Wedding's are no exception.

The revolver the detective was carrying was his own, private, firearm - not a department issued one. This would suggest he carries as a matter of habit, not because it is required of him for his job.

So, the question of why he decided taking a gun to a wedding is 'normal' remains.

• Like 1

You got there while I was typing.....this all sounds like something out of the Godfather......but not as well rehearsed.

Edited by freetoroam

Yes. Some LEO's are required to carry a gun with them at all times. This is nothing new. Whether they are grocery shopping, visiting friends or at their own wedding...does not matter. My ex was required by his job to carry one at all times; whether he was on-duty or off-duty.

• Like 1

Accidental discharges of a gone are prone to happen, the best way to prevent that is put the safety on.

Spot on, maybe it landed funny and the safety came off, maybe the safety failed or the firing pin had a fault?

We dont know but im sure the weapon will of been tested by now.

Just found out it was a revolver, do they have a safety? could of been a faulty pin, hair trigger or it could of landed funny, cocked and landed again causing dis charge.

If it wasnt a department issued weapon, then it most probably have been decoration and as a cop, he had it loaded.

End of the day, it was an accident and we will find out more, if he wanted to kill his mother or any one else im sure he could of done it any way and with more discretion.

Edited by Redefining Success
  • Like 2

Its not a case of protection, its the uniform and the gun is part of it, as is the hat, belt shirt and tie, you wouldnt go to a wedding with out any pants on.

A soldier wouldnt attend a parade or wedding with out his beret or squad insignia.

Has been pointed out it was his own gun and a beret and squad insignia can harm someone if they fell on the floor = how??

Edited by freetoroam

The revolver the detective was carrying was his own, private, firearm - not a department issued one. This would suggest he carries as a matter of habit, not because it is required of him for his job.

So, the question of why he decided taking a gun to a wedding is 'normal' remains.

My ex carried his *own personal gun* as well as required by his job. Could vary acccording to department and state vs federal (my ex was FBI) and all that but that's all I know. Oh well. I still feel badly for this guy.

that must be very old revolver, i have not seen a revolver made in last 10 or so years that did not have hammer block safety, it can not fire unless trigger is fully pressed. no matter how you throw it. but i can see older revolvers fire if fell on the hammer. sad sht for cop. out of all guests he got his own mother.

Dropping a grocery item can't kill anyone though ;) (unless an xxxxxl packaging falls on ones head or something)