Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is your intent in this forum?

ThePortal

Hi everyone,

in light of a previous message from Spectral, it made me think.

For the past little while, all we saw in this subforum are threads that end up being war being believers and skeptical. Like I said in the other post, everybody talks and no one listens and I fail to see the point.

I wish to ask you all individualy why do you come to this particular section?

what do you expect to see?

what would you like to see?

what kind of conversation do you wish to undertake?

If we understand the motives of why believers and skeptic come here. We will be closer to know how to approach each other and make our threads and comments more constructive with respect to what the other is also searching for.

I hope many of you will participate. The more do, the more we will understand how to make this subforum as constructive as possible and as pleasant as possible.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThePortal

• Me_Again

• DarkEntity99

• pete juffalo

I'll get the ball rolling wink2.gif

I come here to learn. By listening to everyone points of view it makes me think of ideas that I would not of tought by myself.

I makes me question my beliefs all the time and makes me grow in my understanding.

I dont mind any type of subject with comment of believers or skeptics. I follow the middle path so I can learn from both sides.

Learning is my first reasons. My second is too sometime say a little comment that could help someone learn too. I dont wish to convert, only to help people along their path if they wish it so.

As to what I wish to see in here. Anykind of things related to spirituality is fine with me. As long as it is not trying to convert me or others and it is open to other possibilities.

p.s. why would people who 100% believe in one particular beliefs come in here if they dont wish to learn other possibilities or challenge their beliefs. This sound to me like either they wish to convert other people (save them rolleyes.gif ) or think that they can peacefully stay in their own little world talking to same minds. If its to convert people, then they will have resistance for sure. If they wish to just exchange with like mind....why to they come here????

plz enlight me happy.gif

This particular section is the most relevent one the site for me because I find it interesting to see how other people from different religions and beliefs interact and view certain aspects of life from their very own perspectives. Because religion plays a vital role in the manner in which I conduct myself it would only be right for me to focus more on this section than the others although the Mind, Time and Space one is fascinating too grin2.gif

I expect to see a wide variety of opinions (hopefully educated ones) on the aspects of life, its origin, its purpose and the reasons behind what forms such diverse responses.

As well as discussions on how and why people believe in certain things and backing them up with logical, scientific explanations or religious prophecies/revelations and using these to argue against each others beliefs, I'd like to see more people recognising the possibility of how a certain religion acknowledges more modern day science discoveries/theories than most other religions and maybe in due time science and mathematics will prove the existence of a super-intelligent being rather than nothing.

In general I'd like to learn more about the differences which seperate so many of us from each other in terms of lifestyles and beliefs. This means I'd like to undertake fairly light-hearted approach to conversing about basic ideologies.

Hope that helps thumbsup.gif

I am here to challenge my intellect on every level, to learn all I can.

I wish to keep myself open to experiencing new things and grow as a person.

I want to hear what others have to say especially if we don't agree.

I want to know what motivates others.

I would like to see tolerance of others' beliefs practiced more often.

I am here to make friends around the world.

Because its about spirituality and skepticism....its interesting kind of laugh.gif .

Fighting...

Formal discussions with each other and learning opportunities. I want to discuss with other people about religion. But discussing with the other belief is asking for controversy....so I much rather discuss with others who are like me, religious or not.

A formal one regarding good virtues, righteousness, and learn about other beliefs is what I want to discuss with everyone. But with other believers, religion.

I also come here to learn...before coming here there was much about Cryptozoology that I did not know...and I'm still figuring some stuff out. We have some really intelligent and helpful people here which makes it easier.

I enjoy posting in the relgious threads because, at heart, I'm a sh** stirrer grin2.gif I'm the kinda guy that when he sees a sleeping bear...he just HAS to poke it in the **** with a stick.

Now, more specifically, onto your questions...

Because I love watching the epic battles Stellar, SilverCougar, Hotoke, Ashley and Loge get into thumbsup.gif

Their arguments are alien to me, being raised an Atheist I knew nothing of the Christian God or anything related to that subject until I was twelve (I didn't even know what churches were for), so reading their posts gives me a good understanding of the whole "God" thing as Atheists and Theists counter each others arguments giving the reader a broader view on the subject.

Arguing. I'd rather see...

Hopefully some hot UM gals foxy boxing naked. *crosses fingers*

Anything. So long as I'm learning something new. I hate getting into repetitive arguments and arguing with people when I know I'm right (and example would be: someone trying to convince me the sky is purple, not blue, that kind of thing).

So, I'd love to get into more in-depth cryptid, astronomy, and historical discussions thumbsup.gif

Because its about spirituality and skepticism....its interesting kind of laugh.gif .

Fighting...

Formal discussions with each other and learning opportunities. I want to discuss with other people about religion. But discussing with the other belief is asking for controversy....so I much rather discuss with others who are like me, religious or not.

A formal one regarding good virtues, righteousness, and learn about other beliefs is what I want to discuss with everyone. But with other believers, religion.

451418[/snapback]

I come to this particular section to read other peoples points of view.I find it fascinating. It also challenges me to think about things in a different light.

Thank you all for your reply.

Its good, that way I get to know all of you a bit better grin2.gif

MadManfred......geez your hillarious laugh.gif I'm not too sure your wish will come true though wink2.gif Sry for the let down

Keep it going this is really interesting original.gif

Hmm...well, I'm here to spice up my day by arguing with some atheists now and then! A good little romp now and then makes life here at UM interesting! devil.gif (plus I try to do a little olive branch work between the Evolutionist camp and the Creationist camp along the way too thumbsup.gif )

i wish to debate my skills againts opponents that resist me. also read why there are so many haters out there.

To challenge and be challenged.

To try and arrive at a balanced position between both hardline materialists and hardline theists.

Keep speculation alive.

Join in a good row!

Albeit all of the above I probably don't do to well at but... sad.gif

Hmmm...prolly a combination of my love for debate (and arguing tongue.gif) and the fact that I need stimulating conversation. Life is boring when everyone agrees. When it comes to religion (and politics), there will always be disagreements, and that's what makes conversation interesting to me. grin2.gif

Edited by Wings of Selkhet

Actually coming here and typing out my thoughts, helps me and if it helps anyone else - thats cool too!. I know at times I may sound strange.

*Nine Inch Nail music plays

I believe I am interesting and I have met some nice, interesting people here.

I also spend my lunch hour at work here, I like to read w00t.gif

And a special someone, I met here. I can get real sappy...so...thanks UM for helping me grow wub.gif

BTW, I do have unbelievable charm innocent.gif

P.S. Once upon a time, I thought that aquatas1 wanted to know what I thought rofl.gifph34r.gif

Edited by Me_Again

by reading this sub-forum, i wish to read peoples beliefes and experiences so i may clarify my own clouded beliefes. the more i read the easier it becomes to structure my beliefes.

i will read one persons post and thing "wow, that makes sense"

and then i will read another and think "bullsh*t!"

either way, my beliefs grow with what i read on these forums and i am glad people keep posting things that either add to my beliefs or make me think that some peopel and their beliefs are insane.

but i am not here to judge anyones beliefs or experiences, just to learn and study. (as well as adding my own two cents of course)

My Intent in this form

is to bring as much Darkness to the world as i can...

And i expect to see threads about evil spirits

demons, maigc, physic powers etc.

and Ghosts.

and other great things....

I am a Dark Mage thank you every much....

good afternoon