Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stickers Darwin Would Love

aquatus1

We've all heard about the infamous Evolution Disclaimer sticker the Cobb County Officials slapped onto their biology textbooks back in 2002, and were recently ordered to remove. While most of us were content to sit here and discuss it, one person took that extra step. Colin Purrington, an Evolutionary Biology teacher at Swarthmore, crafted his own stickers and donated them to the ACLU, for distribution to the parents that brought the suit against Cobb County. Among them:

"This book was anonymously donated to your school library to discreetly promote religious alternatives to the theory of evolution. When you are finished with it, please refile the book in the Fiction section"

"This textbook contains material about Special Relativity. Special Relativity is a scientific theory, and very few scientists fully understand it. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

"This textbook suggest that the Earth is spherical. The shape of the Earth is a controversial topic, and not all people accept the theory. This material should be approached carefully, and critically considered."

"This textbook claims that evolution is not fully accepted by scientists because it is just a theory. The author hopes to confuse you into equating "scientific theory" with "cockamamie theory". To read a short blurb on what a scientific theory is, go to: http://wilstar.com/theories.htm"

This book does not contain the word evolution, the unifying principle in biology and an important component of the National Science Standards and the Scholastic Achievement Test. For an overview of what your class is missing, go to: http;//evolution.berkeley.edu"

Well, if the sticker is telling the truth, there shouldn't be any objections! laugh.gif

Edited by aquatus1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _hAiLO_

• SilverCougar

• Loge

• D1sTurb3dTr33

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont get the point of this thread

edit: nevermind i was reading it wrong

Edited by seeking

OI!

Honestly... who here still believes the earth is flat? I mean how many times does it have to be proven that it's a sphereical shape?

OI! 

Honestly... who here still believes the earth is flat?  I mean how many times does it have to be proven that it's a sphereical shape?

454168[/snapback]

I don't know, but did we actually prove the moon had another side to it cat.gif ? I don't think we've ever been to the darkside of the moon before ph34r.gif . What kind of spherical object would never show its other side to the Earth wacko.gif .

Well, if the sticker is telling the truth, there shouldn't be any objections!

Are they?

OI! 

Honestly... who here still believes the earth is flat?  I mean how many times does it have to be proven that it's a sphereical shape?

454168[/snapback]

I don't know, but did we actually prove the moon had another side to it cat.gif ? I don't think we've ever been to the darkside of the moon before ph34r.gif . What kind of spherical object would never show its other side to the Earth wacko.gif .

Are they?

454226[/snapback]

The reason it's dark is because it's falling into a shadow...

454231[/snapback]

I think the DarkSide of the moon is a portal to hell....once you cross that margin, your screwed blink.gif .

Are they?

454226[/snapback]

Are They? blink.gif ? Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

alien.gif The only way to prove some of these theorys is to send all the sceptics into outer space and let them see for them selves.

A tongue.giftongue.gif nd of course leave them there! tongue.giftongue.gif

454231[/snapback]

I think the DarkSide of the moon is a portal to hell....once you cross that margin, your screwed blink.gif .

._o Are you serious?

454231[/snapback]

._o Are you serious?

454243[/snapback]

I'm dead serious...can't you see the Devil sitting on his Throne holding his Sceptre when you look at the darkside with a small telescope? I swear he looked at me and smiled blink.gif .

alien.gif The only way to prove some of these theorys is to send all the sceptics into outer space and let them see for them selves.

A tongue.gif  tongue.gif nd of course leave them there! tongue.gif  tongue.gif

454239[/snapback]

I think we all need to love each other, Believer and Skeptic, and research it together.

Uh.. no... I don't see any demond sitting on the moon...

I'm glad someone turned an ugly situation around just to show how absurd it really was in the first place. Science is Science, and Science is not prohibited from being endorced by the government.... but RELIGION is. Therefore, if you don't want your kid learning about EVOLUTION, send them to a private school and shut up.

Right...... a demon on the moon. Okay.

Personally I'm glad this guy stepped up and prooved just how stupid the stickers issued were.

IMO, the stickers aren't 'stupid', but 'truth telling' because Evolution is a theory...don't worry about Creationism being taught in schools, governments banned religion being taught in schools...

IMO, the stickers aren't 'stupid', but 'truth telling' because Evolution is a theory...don't worry about Creationism being taught in schools, governments banned religion being taught in schools...

The stickers are stupid. On a book thats titled "The theory of evolution", they put a sticker saying its "just a theory, not fact", and yet the bible gets away without a sticker? Hey, the word "theory" is on the title of the book on evolution, the word "belief" isnt on the title of the bible

The stickers are stupid. On a book thats titled "The theory of evolution", they put a sticker saying its "just a theory, not fact", and yet the bible gets away without a sticker? Hey, the word "theory" is on the title of the book on evolution, the word "belief" isnt on the title of the bible

455550[/snapback]

The bible and Creationism is considered a part of Religion, however Evolution is considered 'fact' in text books and is being taught in school. I just think that students have the right to get the explanations from both sides....

and your right, the bible deserves a sticker too. I think text books and the bible explaining the theory of how humans got here deserves a sticker.

The bible and Creationism is considered a part of Religion,

Thats the equivalent of me saying that evolution is a part of science.

however Evolution is considered 'fact' in text books and is being taught in school.

Evolution is considered a theory. Its title is: The Theory of Evolution.

And do you not think that the bible is being taught as fact in sunday school? Here in Canada, its being taught as fact in my school.

I just think that students have the right to get the explanations from both sides....

They are. They're being told what the theory of evolution is. I dont find it just that there has to be a sticker on books related to evolution yet not religious books. Thats just plain wrong. And the sticker in the books on evolution are really degrading. "Just a theory".

and your right, the bible deserves a sticker too. I think text books and the bible explaining the theory of how humans got here deserves a sticker.

I wrote in the other thread what the sticker should say on it, if the current sticker on the evolution books stayed.

If you guys get tropical weather in Canada.. I'll move there

however Evolution is considered 'fact' in text books and is being taught in school.

Evolution is considered a theory. Its title is: The Theory of Evolution.

And do you not think that the bible is being taught as fact in sunday school? Here in Canada, its being taught as fact in my school.

The idea of 'Creationism' is considered complete idiocy and teaching religion in schools is banned in the US.
I just think that students have the right to get the explanations from both sides....

They are. They're being told what the theory of evolution is. I dont find it just that there has to be a sticker on books related to evolution yet not religious books. Thats just plain wrong. And the sticker in the books on evolution are really degrading. "Just a theory".

I don't think its 'just' a theory as well, but for both sides...the government should give stickers to both books and remove the word 'just' according to the status of bias.

I wrote in the other thread what the sticker should say on it, if the current sticker on the evolution books stayed.

455570[/snapback]

Can you provide a link?

Is it me... or is the US the only place with this problem?

The problem isn't really a problem tho... our nation was set up with the simple rule that the government shall NOT endorse any religion, thus allowing a FREEDOM of religion.

The PROBLEM is when people that are too sensitive and thick to realize that a theory is not FACT get bent out of shape and try to remove POSTIVE THEORY from a classroom, only to show that a NORMATIVE THEORY is also an option. Perhaps we need another lesson in THEORY around here... rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna join you in moving to Canananananda SilverCougar... they seem to have their heads on straight, and not shoved up their arses

I too agree....Cananananada is a more tolerant country, and it doesn't get itself involved in wars rolleyes.gif .

Hey Steller, I wanna know what you wrote as an alternative for the sticker, can you provide a link?

Basically, either every book gets a sticker, or none should. They shouldnt single out evolution books.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...opic=31664&st=0

If you guys get tropical weather in Canada.. I'll move there

Oh we're startin! It was 20oC outside a few days ago!

Now its -30 though.

Wow. . . I couldn't imagine living in -30oC weather! Actually, I don't even think it's gotten below 20 here.

That reminds me. What's up with the weather? It keeps getting really cold then really hot then back to really cold. It's starting to annoy me. Is there anywhere where that isn't happening?

Hey. If Canada takes over some tropical island, I'll move there.

Is this it?

"The contents of this book is unverified and is a matter of belief. The beliefs contained in this book are open to interpretation and by no means can be considered fact, nor is it above any other belief. This matter should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

I like grin2.gif . Any book explaining any such theory of Human Existence should bear that sticker original.gif .