Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

String Theory

taustin

This theory is not a metaphysical theory, but a scientific theory supported by great physicists such as Stephen Hawking and is taught at universities throughout the world. I placed this here because it points to a theory of multiple dimensions.

In 1994, the various string theories were unified into a single "M-theory". M-theory states that there are eleven dimensions (not just the 4 that we currently are aware of!)

Could it not be possible then, that worlds such as the astral and mental, currently undetectable to modern scientific tools, exist in these other theorized dimensions?

I recently had a conversation with a close friend that is a Spiritualist Pastor and he explained to me, with reserve that I may not understand, that there are dimensions that exist simultaneously to ours. I am not sure how I feel about that and have never really thought too much about it but it seems to be crossing my plate more frequently than before. Any thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taustin

• seeking

• Fluffybunny

• Middle aged Crazy

Top Posters In This Topic

Dimensions other than our own? I think its a possibility, but yet...I can't prove it, nor can I convince anyone of its existence....I have a slight belief that there are other dimensions though. The human mind is so full of ideas innocent.gif .

We really are quite complex little beings aren't we! I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this theory though.

Dimensions other than our own? I think its a possibility, but yet...I can't prove it, nor can I convince anyone of its existence....I have a slight belief that there are other dimensions though. The human mind is so full of ideas innocent.gif .

457110[/snapback]

I have come to a similar belief.

I have to preface this by saying that I think that although there are merits to the Membrane Theory and before that the string theory, they are mathmatical postulation in my opinion. As there is no way to create a test to confirm the theories in a physical manner, it kind of reminds me of the "epicycles" that were created to explain the retrograde motion seen in planetary motion. Mathmatically it works for a period of time, but after enough evaluation and a paradigm shift in thinking the theory went the way of the dodo.

I also have to say that I had to take calculus twice tongue.gif , so my understanding is basic at best and I never want to say that I could disprove any of it; it is just my opinion...

That being said, I think that theories that consider things like dimensional membranes do leave the door open for explaining much of that which is unexplainable right now. I think as time goes on that the theories advance as does the science used to study the things that are currently considered paranormal that it could possibly converge and overlap opening our eyes to things that we do not currently understand.

Only time will tell though...

Thanks for the reply. You sound very intelligent and informed. I am working on a project called Zero.Point that explores the Zero.Point theory as well. I know nothing formal regarding physics so I merely work off logic and knowledge and a "feeling" of what makes sense and what does not. I do hope that someday we will have proof and I am sure there is someone working on it right now....

I was just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around what my friend was talking about. Like I said - he is a spiritual teacher and all his life has given readings (not for money) and has had this special gift, similar to that John Edwards guy that was on TV. He has no control over it and finds it frequently annoying however, has been able to embrace it all. He helps consult UFO abductees on an emotional level as well. He helps them work through things emotionally. I find it hard to grasp that there is another me doing the same thing in another place at the same time, that does not look like me per se, which life is the main life? He tried to explain it to me but I had to cut the conversation short. I think I will call him tomorrow and ask more about it.

There is so much to learn! And so much we do not know....I feel we live in such a very interesting informational time. I take everything in and try to "feel" what is true for me and what is not. I would love some proof though!

I have come to a similar belief.

I have to preface this by saying that I think that although there are merits to the Membrane Theory and before that the string theory, they are mathmatical postulation in my opinion. As there is no way to create a test to confirm the theories in a physical manner, it kind of reminds me of the "epicycles" that were created to explain the retrograde motion seen in planetary motion. Mathmatically it works for a period of time, but after enough evaluation and a paradigm shift in thinking the theory went the way of the dodo.

I also have to say that I had to take calculus twice tongue.gif , so my understanding is basic at best and I never want to say that I could disprove any of it; it is just my opinion...

That being said, I think that theories that consider things like dimensional membranes do leave the door open for explaining much of that which is unexplainable right now. I think as time goes on that the theories advance as does the science used to study the things that are currently considered paranormal that it could possibly converge and overlap opening our eyes to things that we do not currently understand.

Only time will tell though...

457136[/snapback]

according to string theory, there are 3 very large spacial dimensions and 1 time dimensions, with 7 very small dimensions, at the plank length in the shape of a calabi-yau

I am truly not familiar with what you r talking about. Where did u get this info? What is calabi-yau?

according to string theory, there are 3 very large spacial dimensions and 1 time dimensions, with 7 very small dimensions, at the plank length in the shape of a calabi-yau

457165[/snapback]

What is calabi-yau?

Oy, that is a tough one. It requires some pretty hefty math to describe the remaining 6 dimensions of the string/m theory. I am probably not the best qualified to explain it; but my understanding is that it is a flat surface that contains six dimension folded in on itself. Again it isn't something that we have physically seen, or tested; it is in theory and mathmatical processes. It is a way to mathmatically describe theorized aspects of the string theory.

Mathmatically it works out, but I don't fully understand it, I have to pretty much take the word of those with much better math skills than I possess...

I find the concept of string theory very intriguing.That could be a possible explanation for all the dark matter in the universe.

nice user name, and all of you thought my avatar was bad

As the saying goes: You can't judge a book by it's cover. As cliche as it is.