Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Today is International Loch Ness Monster Day

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:28 AM

NESSIE-hunters are marking a date of monster significance today.

It is exactly 70 years since the legendary resident of Loch Ness first hit the headlines. The birth of a world-famous icon began on May 2, 1933, with an Inverness newspaper article headlined "A Strange Spectacle on Loch Ness".

It told how water bailiff Alex Campbell claimed to have encountered a mystery creature on the 23-mile loch. The world's Press picked up the story and the rest, as they say, is history. Now Nessie's Inverness-based official fan club have declared today International Loch Ness Monster Day

President Gary Campbell said: "It highlights that even though scientific research has advanced so much in recent years, some mysteries still have no answers." He said that many teams coming to research the loch and its monster are daunted by its scale. At 810ft deep, it holds more water than all the reservoirs and lakes in England and Wales combined.

He added: "The loch presents a real challenge for the Nessie-hunters." Since 1933, there may have been more than 1000 reported sightings of Nessie. It is reckoned she has boosted the Highlands economy by millions of pounds by bringing visitors flocking to the area. But countless hi-tech searches with under- water cameras, sonar and radar have yet to detect the creature.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Dailyrecord                                                  

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    neen

neen

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:35 AM

Even if Nessy isn,t real, he's created a lot of opportunity for the people and the town which would not be as prosperous as it is now, i think, without him/it.Well done Nessy! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif                                                  

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens...-Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#3    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 06:10 AM

There has been a run on these International Day of X as of late and I think it has gone a little overboard.  It is all fine and good to recgonize that there are some interesting things out there, but to dedicate a day seems like too much for me.

Consider Rememberance Day/Armistice Day/Veteran's Day.  Pretty much everyone on this fourm comes from a country that was heavily involved in both World Wars, and each of these is commemerated on only a single day.  How does the Loch Ness Monster stand up in compairison.  Possibly real critter living in a remote lake versus a day of Rememberance for all Veterans of the wars of the world - I think the scale tips heavily away from Nessie.

I'm not picking on Nessie in particular, this just happens to be the most current example.  The first one that really rocked my boat was Scrapbook Day, but my song remains the same either way.  Trivial things trivialize very legitimate matters.                                                  

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,002 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:24 PM

Very close to home, this one biggrin.gif

I agree that there are more important anniversaries than the first Loch Ness Monster sighting, but this is more of a local event, than an official national anniversary.

You won't find 'Loch Ness Monster Day' on your calendar - this is something for the Loch Ness Monster community, nothing much more than that.                                                  

#5    albaqwerty

albaqwerty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:17 PM

If it wasn't for the important days (Remembrance Sunday etc etc) then we wouldn't appreciate the silly ones.

Does Nessy know she/he/it has a day? Is Nessy bothered? wink.gif                                                  

growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users