Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Senator Portman Now Backs Same-Sex Marriage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,264 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Bloomberg said:

Republican Senator Rob Portman of Ohio, who was on Mitt Romney’s short list as a potential vice presidential nominee in 2012, has reversed his long-held position opposing same-sex marriage, he wrote in a column published today in the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch.

“I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn’t deny them the opportunity to get married,” Portman wrote.

Two years ago, he said, his son Will, then a freshman at Yale University, told Portman and his wife, Jane, that he was gay.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Sometimes it takes personal knowledge like this to overcome deep seated biases.  At least he has the courage to go public about it.

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Good for him.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#4    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,773 posts

• ראה

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I guess when your genes are doing the talking, it makes more sense.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#5    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Sometimes it takes personal knowledge like this to overcome deep seated biases.  At least he has the courage to go public about it.

I agree. And good for him.

But it's kind of sad though, in the past he apparently never took into consideration the thoughts and feelings of other families with gay sons and daughters. It looks like he only cares now because it is affecting his own family.

But all in all it's a good thing. I'm just finding something to complain about I guess.

#6    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

At least he came around.

A little true understanding and compassion can change a persons perspective.

#7    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 2,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 16 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

But all in all it's a good thing. I'm just finding something to complain about I guess.

That's because there is something to complain about. It's all well and good to applaud his change of heart, and his courage in expressing this. But where was his empathy before it was something that affected him personally? It's just another example of the wholly unsuitable, self-centred , self-serving types who invariably end up in politics. What irony that he probably considers himself a "public servant".

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yea you need some method other than self-selection to see who gets to be a politician.  For one, I would ban anyone who has a law degree.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 16 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I agree. And good for him.

But it's kind of sad though, in the past he apparently never took into consideration the thoughts and feelings of other families with gay sons and daughters. It looks like he only cares now because it is affecting his own family.

The same can be said for Bill Clinton - he signed DOMA, but has since had a change of heart on the matter.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#10    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

This is a topic I really don't wade into very often and probably shouldn't. But what is the point of supporting this archaic concept of marriage? if it is show your comitment to another person? shouldn't we marry our boss? this in itself is a very unnatural act not to many animals mate for life. If it is to support the concept of family??? where did that come from? you go that route you put same-sex unions on shaky ground. because I don't know of any same-sex couples that can naturally procreate there by making a "family" in the classic sense. As I said marriage is a unnatural act that was in it's original form created by god which opened up a whole host of other problems fornication , adultrey, divorce and others. So if you are doing it as a public testimony of a heavenly union??? well let's just say god was pretty clear on what he thought of same-sex unions. Or is all of this just to get a tax break, cheaper health insurance and erode the foundation of western civilation? I just don't see how this is showing us as being a more enlightned society because we now accept same-sex unions? homosexuality has been going on just as long as stealing, murder, fornication, adultrey and a whole host of other "taboo" behaviors who made this the acid test for our enlightenment? we are not the first society to except homosexuality none of them are around to talk about it but I'm sure there is no connection.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

I think marriage is a fine old institution if one wants to live in an institution.  (Sorry, couldn't help it -- I think that's W. C. Fields).

Being married is about the most wonderful thing a man can be.  It requires work, but there is something to be said for the sharing and friendship and partnership that only something like marriage can provide.  I miss it terribly (my wife died a few years ago).

I don't think the state needs to be involved, nor the church.  Some recognized ritual is needed, and obviously marriage has characteristics in it of a contract, so the state needs to be involved if there are disputes over property or children in a divorce, but otherwise neither body should have anything more than voluntary involvement.

#12    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 17 March 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

That's because there is something to complain about. It's all well and good to applaud his change of heart, and his courage in expressing this. But where was his empathy before it was something that affected him personally? It's just another example of the wholly unsuitable, self-centred , self-serving types who invariably end up in politics. What irony that he probably considers himself a "public servant".

Well said!

Politicians only have a change of heart if something affects them personally or to get a few votes.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

Skepticism here is no doubt called for.  I think he probably felt he had no choice, since his son's orientation was bound to become public at some point and he could hardly publicly denounce him.

Still I don't know.  We often manage to convince ourselves that what is in our interest is what is right and best.

#14    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,308 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

For the life of me I cant understand why anyone should care what any politition thinks about any form of marrage. The government should have nothing to do with marrage. The fact that this is a story people find worthy of telling is a sad reflection on our aproval to let these so called public servents control every aspect of our lives.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 20 March 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

For the life of me I cant understand why anyone should care what any politition thinks about any form of marrage. The government should have nothing to do with marrage. The fact that this is a story people find worthy of telling is a sad reflection on our aproval to let these so called public servents control every aspect of our lives.
I get the emotion behind what you say, but it is not realistic to not have the government involved, especially when property or children are involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users