Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

One million Brits 'descended from Romans'

romans british men

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Romans departed abruptly in the early fifth century, leaving behind relics of their rule including Hadrian's Wall along with a host of towns, roads and encampments.

But perhaps the most enduring sign of their legacy is in our genes, experts claim, with an estimated million British men descending from the invading forces.

http://www.telegraph...rom-Romans.html

Posted Image

#2    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Perhaps.  But it looks like this is just a complete guess.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,399 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Does this mean there are no women descendants.

#4    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

and here's me thinking I was of norse descent.
turns out i'm bloody italian, a people with a white cross on a white background for a national flag!
bugger THAT!! i'm viking, and proud of it!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#5    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,279 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View Postshrooma, on 24 February 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

and here's me thinking I was of norse descent.
turns out i'm bloody italian, a people with a white cross on a white background for a national flag!
bugger THAT!! i'm viking, and proud of it!
:-)

You could be descended from individuals of various origins. Also, not all members of the occupying military forces were Roman. Some soldiers came from conquered countries or tribes. The guardians of Hadrian's Wall were a mixed group. You could have both Roman and Viking blood. It often depends on where you live in the British Isles. As you know, the eastern extremities vary from the western extremities in both England and Scotland. The same holds true for Ireland, and Wales has its own divisions.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,104 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostHilander, on 24 February 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Does this mean there are no women descendants.

"Researchers examined DNA from the Y chromosome, which is only passed on by men,"

#7    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 24 February 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

not all members of the occupying military forces were Roman. You could have both Roman and Viking blood. It often depends on where you live in the British Isles.
I come from a part of britain that wasn't occupied by romans, that was allowed to operate as a satellite kingdom to rome, and left with its rulers and culture intact, which is a good thing, because far from being conqurors who brought civilisation to the barbarians, all the romans did for britain was destroy an advanced culture that was thousands of years old.
so i'm glad I won't have any of their pollution inside me, and come from a part of the country that was the viking capital of britain. meaning it's more likely that I possess norse genes than italian.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

The brief Roman occupation of pre-AngloSaxon England was minor but important to the development of British civilization and it comes with no surprise a portion of the English people descended from dispatched Roman soldiers or civilians.

Both Britain and continental Europe once was densely populated by Celtic peoples, but came the invading Germanic tribes while the other half of Celtic-speaking cultures fell under the Romans (Northern Italy, France esp. its south, Spain and Portugal).

My father came from France (the Nord PdC region) where it was entrenched with Romans, except the local population have roots in Flemish or Dutch ancestries from the tribes of Lower Germans or Nederlanders, esp. the northern half of Nord departement and an adjacent part of Pas-de-Calais was Flemish-speaking instead of French until the 18th and early 19th centuries.

The English were there in and around Calais and Dunkerque (or Dunkirk) for a short time, then came the Spaniards and Austrians, and finally in the mid 17th century the final French annexation of the very lands the kings of France claimed to be French land, despite a minority (or in certain spots, majorities) of Flemings are already present.

Every nation in the world are descended from a variety of tribes, nations and peoples whom invaded, occupied, and came to settle in the very lands to blend in with the native or indigenous populations over periods of time. The British people can have 1st century BC Pictish ancestors as well have Roman genes in them.

Edited by Mike D boy, 24 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#9    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostMike D boy, on 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

The brief Roman occupation of pre-AngloSaxon England was minor

It wasn't that minor.  Britain was part of the Roman Empire for 367 years, from 43 to 410.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,021 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Considering how long people have lived in Britain, yes, it really was brief.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#11    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,279 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

View Postshrooma, on 24 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

I come from a part of britain that wasn't occupied by romans, that was allowed to operate as a satellite kingdom to rome, and left with its rulers and culture intact, which is a good thing, because far from being conqurors who brought civilisation to the barbarians, all the romans did for britain was destroy an advanced culture that was thousands of years old.
so i'm glad I won't have any of their pollution inside me, and come from a part of the country that was the viking capital of britain. meaning it's more likely that I possess norse genes than italian.

What part is that? Even Norfolk and Yorkshire had Roman inhabitants. The latter had some autonomy for a while, but there were Romans there. Were your ancestors from north of Hadrian's Wall?

#12    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 26 February 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

What part is that? Even Norfolk and Yorkshire had Roman inhabitants. The latter had some autonomy for a while, but there were Romans there. Were your ancestors from north of Hadrian's Wall?

There were Romans in Scotland, too.  They built the Antonine Wall there.

#13    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,279 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 26 February 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

There were Romans in Scotland, too.  They built the Antonine Wall there.

That's true. I heard and read that they visited Ireland too. The claimed links seemed quite tenuous in that there was not much evidence from more than a few individuals. In the past, I read that the Romans were afraid of the Irish.

#14    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 27 February 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

That's true. I heard and read that they visited Ireland too. The claimed links seemed quite tenuous in that there was not much evidence from more than a few individuals. In the past, I read that the Romans were afraid of the Irish.

The Romans in the Roman Province of Britannia called the Irish "Scotti", a term of abuse which meant "pirate" or "raider".  These Irish pirates constantly annoyed the denizens of Britannia by raiding their coastline from time to time.

Eventually these Scotti moved from their homes in Ireland and settled in a cold and rocky place just a few miles across the sea from Ireland and just north of Britannia and founded a kingdom in the west and islands of that place called Dal Riata.  Their kingdom was led by kings who, during their coronation, placed a bare foot in a foot-shaped hollow carved out in a flat rock and which can still be seen to this day.  Centuries later these former pirates and raiders merged with the Picts, who occupied the lands to their east, to form a new kingdom, which was named after the pirates and raiders - Scotland.

And these Irish settled in Scotland long before the Protestant Ulster-Scots settled in what is now Northern Ireland.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#15    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

I thought scientists have decided that all humans in the world supposedly are of African ancestry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users