Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl in Photo

karmaharbour

Hi I would like to post a photo of a girl that was taken in 1914. The girl I believe is French and her age around 12 . I am not sure who she was but I call her 'Regina' ..... I would like members to have a look at it and give me their opinions on herpost-48005-1167794667_thumb.jpg.....The original photo I aquired is quite small but on elargement I found that there seemed to be 'something' eminating from it . The image of this girl seems to have a strong influence to it . I had a psychic friend of mine look at it and she agreed the photo does indeed have a very strong influence. It seems to me to come from her eyes. In fact after a period of time looking at this photo of her my own eyes get sore with a dull ache behind my eyeballs. Does something of this girl still linger in her photo taken so long ago? I would be very interested to hear from anyone. Cheers karmaharbour

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karmaharbour

• Barek Halfhand

• boorite

• bkroll1

Her eyes are very striking, but there something just a tad unatural about them, like a slight squint? compare the position of the left eyeball to the right..... Do you know anything about this pic and any idea why her clothes are in that colour effect, has this pic been through photoshop?

Edited by Anvil

i dunno what it is about her but i kinda feel like she's happy, to me theres not really a sad feeling towards her, and i dont think im psychic

Her eyes are very striking, but there something just a tad unatural about them, like a slight squint? compare the position of the left eyeball to the right..... Do you know anything about this pic and any idea why her clothes are in that colour effect, has this pic been through photoshop?

Dear Anvil,

Hi I am new to this site so I hope my reply goes thru ok. The photo is a hand coloured/ tinted as they used to do back then. I did notice that there is a slight difference in her eyes..... maybe they are out of alignment maybe ?? The only thing I know about this photo is that a guy I saw on Ebay was selling it amongst his other photos. He found it in England a few years back and he stated that is was so black with grime he didn't even know what it was of. When he cleaned off the 80 years of grime her image was as good as the day it was made underneath. No one bid on it so I bought her. the quality of the photo is so good that it can be enlarged considerably with no loss of clarity.... the full length photo of her shows her in an Edwardian dress sitting posing for the photographer.... who she is I haven't got a clue. The photo is as I got it from the Ebay photo dealer and untouched by me in any way. The effect I get from the photo is coming from her eyes. The photo itself is 3 1/2 by 5 inches and from that you can't see her eyes ... .its only when you blow it up they become apparent. Cheers karmaharbour

i dunno what it is about her but i kinda feel like she's happy, to me theres not really a sad feeling towards her, and i dont think im psychic

Dear Blueguardian,

Hi yes I do get this feeling too but sometimes the 'mood' of the photo seems to change..... hard to explain really. Some who have seen her photo say that they like her and then some do not like her at all just depends I guess.

This is the only photo like this one that I have. I put it on here to see what others think of her.

Cheers karmaharbour

Thanks for the extra info Karmaharbour, funnily enough I was thinking of cracking a haunted ebay joke when i first replyed to this thread lol - Anyway I would take a guess that the eyes have been enhanced either at the time when it was hand tinted to really bring them out or when the pic was cleaned up. I think that is what could be causing the slight unbalance between the eyeballs.

I bet it's one of those pics in its full size glory that appears to be looking at you no matter where in the room you stand? I think this style/visiual effect was very popular back then...

Edited by Anvil

She's a very pretty girl.

Dear Blueguardian,

Hi yes I do get this feeling too but sometimes the 'mood' of the photo seems to change..... hard to explain really. Some who have seen her photo say that they like her and then some do not like her at all just depends I guess.

This is the only photo like this one that I have. I put it on here to see what others think of her.

Cheers karmaharbour

hi karmaharbour, when i stare into her eyes for a long period of time i get the feeling of loss....i cant explain it, and its not a very happy feeling i get from it either. i think maybe she lost something precious to her or maybe she was killed who knows? but thats how i feel about it.

Genrally when you stare at any picture for a period of time you get a reaction, whether it be of loss or just an uncomfortable feeling, there is something striking, however it just might be me trying to find a reaction

hi karmaharbour, when i stare into her eyes for a long period of time i get the feeling of loss....i cant explain it, and its not a very happy feeling i get from it either. i think maybe she lost something precious to her or maybe she was killed who knows? but thats how i feel about it.

Hi yes I also get that feeling of loss , sadness, but at other times it is something different . I do know that staring at photos for long periods can give various sensations but this one seems very different to me . As I have said it gives me an ache behind my eyes after a time.... the largest photo blowup I have of her (life size almost) I find very hard to deal with ... maybe its just me , thats why I put her on here to see if others feel something similar about her..... it seems to me to be a psychic photo, not in the sense that its a ghost photo but one where something of that person in the photo has attached itself to it somehow, maybe ?? Try looking at her eyes upside down.... thats rather spooky.....

Cheers karmaharbour

Dear Mckenna,

Yes she is indeed a very pretty little girl from an age long past. She lives on though in her photograph.

Cheers Karmaharbour

She was a very happy child, but I got an image of her in a nurses uniform, and I venture to guess it was WW2. She looks about 5 years old in the photo.

Whoever she was in life, she was a beautiful, happy child without a care in the world, obviously from a good background.

Her eyes seem to come alive when you look at her and her smile seems to increase like she is alive and has got something she wants to share with you.

Her parents must have been proud of their beautiful daughter. I know I would have been with that cheeky smile and warm eyes that looked like it could melt the coldest of hearts. She was very loved and she knew it.

I got the impression that she died in the war that I got an image of her in a nurses' uniform.

looks like one of those pictures that come's with a new picture frame.. :rolleyes:

She kinda looks like one of my nieces.

Dear Mckenna,

Yes she is indeed a very pretty little girl from an age long past. She lives on though in her photograph.

Cheers Karmaharbour

Who knows maybe she's still alive. Here on Earth in spirit form of course. She might be waitiing for something to happen so that she can rest in peace. She might be waiting for somebody to come along and help her. I kind of wonder if she didn't die in the holocaust. I kind of get the feeling that she might have. And is still haunting here somewhere on Earth waiting for somebody to help her. But maybe it's just me. You know I've been reading a lot of holocaust books lately so it could just be me. Who knows.

As I have said it gives me an ache behind my eyes after a time.... the largest photo blowup I have of her (life size almost) I find very hard to deal with ... maybe its just me , thats why I put her on here to see if others feel something similar about her..... it seems to me to be a psychic photo, not in the sense that its a ghost photo but one where something of that person in the photo has attached itself to it somehow, maybe ??

Yes, this could be a fun conjecture to mess around with. We're dealing with a variation on psychometry, where you touch an object and see what impressions come through, except in this case, we're looking at an image propagated electronically. I don't know the term for this.

It is an evocative picture. I get all kinds of impressions and stories from it. The naturalistic explanation is that I pick up cues from the picture and from the background info you gave, and I build on those impressions to imagine some things about the subject of the photograph. Any two or three of us might imagine some of the same details, given these cues, which are pretty specific. For one thing, there is a language of facial expressions, and we can all read it here in this photo.

The paranormal view is that I'm receiving information about the subject in some unknown way. Maybe, as you suggest, there is information somehow "attached" to the picture. Or maybe when we look at the picture, somebody-- perhaps the spirit of the girl-- takes it as a cue to tell us something.

The thing is, even if some paranormal process is at work here, it is still almost certainly the case that we are reading things into the picture using our ordinary senses and imagination. The problem is telling between information arrived at in this way and information received through paranormal channels-- if any. The information gained through inference and fantasy constitutes "noise" in the system. I think that's always the problem in any exercise of "psychic" faculties. So this picture makes a really good test case, a good occasion for exploring these problems.

Now I should expand on the sketchy impression I gave before, and we can see how it jibes with the impressions others are getting. I said the girl struck me as assertive and individualistic, but the picture I get is more nuanced than that. The way she strikes me is as a very quiet person, unassuming, but that underneath is a very active and opinionated intelligence, and she will only let someone in on it if she likes the person. And she has no problem taking the initiative in that case. She strikes me as the embodiment of the adage, "still waters run deep."

I get a strong sense of practicality and a certain kind of stoicism-- not flatness or insensitivity but a sense of not letting things get to you if you have no control over them. I see a policy of cheerfulness: things are what they are, and so you might as well be cheerful about it. I get a sense of mischief that stays barely hidden, a sense that she has some biting insights about people but knows better than to voice them except to close confidants. The picture Rachel gave of a nurse fits with these impressions of mine.

And just as Rachel said, I get a strong sense of a person who has something to share with you. More specifically, the first time I looked at the picture, I got a sense of her taking someone (certainly a male, maybe an older one, physically speaking) firmly by the hand and leading him to a specific place to show him something. I get a sense that it's "down by the water," wherever that is.

My sense differs with Rachel's in terms of the girl's physical age. I would have said older than 5, but it's the damnedest thing-- I can't tell if she's 6 or 16. In fact, when I look at this face, it's as if I can see it at any age. So much is written in that expression. It's entirely possible that this has more to do with the photographer's art than with the girl herself. It's possible that they photographed children this way because they viewed them as little adults. But her expression certainly speaks of maturity beyond her apparent years.

Having looked at the picture several times, I've noticed the dull ache behind my eyes every time, right away. I wanted to ignore that and certainly didn't have it in mind, but it's definitely there. Suggestion seems like the likeliest explanation. I wonder if I'd have felt it without the suggestion.

I didn't get anything about the war or dying, but I deliberately declined to think about it. Just the suggestion of the time and place, France in 1914, gave my imagination too much fuel. Couldn't tell what I got there from "noise."

I think that if there's a message for you here-- whether it's from your own mind or beyond-- it's that this photograph and its subject are "trying to show you something." Follow where it leads, and you'll learn something you're meant to learn, something that somebody specific "wants" to show you. That's my sense.

I'd be interested in other people's detailed impressions.

What would be really interesting is to take the photo to several different psychics and see what they come up with on their own, given no information.

She truely is a lovely looking kid, big eyes like pools of light, a very nice picture.

However, I do believe that we 'create' a story for pictures we see. I wonder, if this were to be posted as one of a series of similar photos, would it get the same response? Would it have been picked out?

Why not post it and a few others with no backstory on other non-related forums and see what reaction you get? It'd be very interesting if you did.

Thanks for posting the photo and for giving a potentially great mystery!

She truely is a lovely looking kid, big eyes like pools of light, a very nice picture.

However, I do believe that we 'create' a story for pictures we see. I wonder, if this were to be posted as one of a series of similar photos, would it get the same response? Would it have been picked out?

Yep, that's a simple controlled experiment. Mix this photo in random order with a bunch of others that feel neutral to you and see if people pick this one at above-chance levels.

Well, in my opinion every pic may be weird if someone tells You so.

However, as usual, I closed this pic very fast - I'm always afraid of watching such stuff:)

Yes, this could be a fun conjecture to mess around with. We're dealing with a variation on psychometry, where you touch an object and see what impressions come through, except in this case, we're looking at an image propagated electronically. I don't know the term for this.

It is an evocative picture. I get all kinds of impressions and stories from it. The naturalistic explanation is that I pick up cues from the picture and from the background info you gave, and I build on those impressions to imagine some things about the subject of the photograph. Any two or three of us might imagine some of the same details, given these cues, which are pretty specific. For one thing, there is a language of facial expressions, and we can all read it here in this photo.

The paranormal view is that I'm receiving information about the subject in some unknown way. Maybe, as you suggest, there is information somehow "attached" to the picture. Or maybe when we look at the picture, somebody-- perhaps the spirit of the girl-- takes it as a cue to tell us something.

The thing is, even if some paranormal process is at work here, it is still almost certainly the case that we are reading things into the picture using our ordinary senses and imagination. The problem is telling between information arrived at in this way and information received through paranormal channels-- if any. The information gained through inference and fantasy constitutes "noise" in the system. I think that's always the problem in any exercise of "psychic" faculties. So this picture makes a really good test case, a good occasion for exploring these problems.

Now I should expand on the sketchy impression I gave before, and we can see how it jibes with the impressions others are getting. I said the girl struck me as assertive and individualistic, but the picture I get is more nuanced than that. The way she strikes me is as a very quiet person, unassuming, but that underneath is a very active and opinionated intelligence, and she will only let someone in on it if she likes the person. And she has no problem taking the initiative in that case. She strikes me as the embodiment of the adage, "still waters run deep."

I get a strong sense of practicality and a certain kind of stoicism-- not flatness or insensitivity but a sense of not letting things get to you if you have no control over them. I see a policy of cheerfulness: things are what they are, and so you might as well be cheerful about it. I get a sense of mischief that stays barely hidden, a sense that she has some biting insights about people but knows better than to voice them except to close confidants. The picture Rachel gave of a nurse fits with these impressions of mine.

And just as Rachel said, I get a strong sense of a person who has something to share with you. More specifically, the first time I looked at the picture, I got a sense of her taking someone (certainly a male, maybe an older one, physically speaking) firmly by the hand and leading him to a specific place to show him something. I get a sense that it's "down by the water," wherever that is.

My sense differs with Rachel's in terms of the girl's physical age. I would have said older than 5, but it's the damnedest thing-- I can't tell if she's 6 or 16. In fact, when I look at this face, it's as if I can see it at any age. So much is written in that expression. It's entirely possible that this has more to do with the photographer's art than with the girl herself. It's possible that they photographed children this way because they viewed them as little adults. But her expression certainly speaks of maturity beyond her apparent years.

Having looked at the picture several times, I've noticed the dull ache behind my eyes every time, right away. I wanted to ignore that and certainly didn't have it in mind, but it's definitely there. Suggestion seems like the likeliest explanation. I wonder if I'd have felt it without the suggestion.

I didn't get anything about the war or dying, but I deliberately declined to think about it. Just the suggestion of the time and place, France in 1914, gave my imagination too much fuel. Couldn't tell what I got there from "noise."

I think that if there's a message for you here-- whether it's from your own mind or beyond-- it's that this photograph and its subject are "trying to show you something." Follow where it leads, and you'll learn something you're meant to learn, something that somebody specific "wants" to show you. That's my sense.

I'd be interested in other people's detailed impressions.

What would be really interesting is to take the photo to several different psychics and see what they come up with on their own, given no information.

Thanks for the interesting info you got from this picture, I should have listed it 'without' any background details I am new on here so I live and learn. But some points you made about her are very interesting, one point is that no one I have shown this picture to can really guess her age ( 5 to 16 ) but as you said back then they made them look older than what they really were so her age is anyones guess I suppose. A psychic lady that did see this photo said that this girl was

" rather willfull, precocious and outspoken for her time" but also that "she was a very calm and loving spirit" and described her as an 'old' soul' with a lot of inner strength.... she felt this girl had died during WW2.....your insights have been very revealing boorite......

Cheers karmaharbour

Guest Lottie

For me its just the colour, style and period that the girl is in that gives it an ethereal quality. Nothing paranormal about that. When looking at old photo's such as this, all types of stories and imaginings can be produced. Still doesn't mean that there is any psychic relevance there. More likely to be historical from what we have learnt so far in our lives and then what we produce in our mind.