Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Grim Reaper sighting

freddy_krueger

This is what the witness said

I am submitting this because I want people to know that Death is real. I don't mean the process of passing on, I mean "The Grim Reaper." Now this may be a hallucination or a "tulpa," as John A. Keel refers to these kinds of things, but I not only saw it, I felt it.

In 2001 at around 6:30 p.m. on the 13th of June, I was about 1/2 a kilometer into my woods in order to feed the guineas I had bought to scare away the neighbor's blasted mutt. I brought out the feed and looked to a hill in the forest and immediately dropped everything to stare. Behold, just to the south about quarter of a mile to the side of me, a figure with a gray robe and small wings walked across the hillside. It stood around 20-25 feet tall and carried a large (about 5-foot) mace. I continued to gaze at it until it turned and walked away, out of sight.

I believe this creature to be either the collector of souls or the devil himself. No human can reach that height. It also glided somewhat high enough that I could see the ground beneath it, so it couldn't have been a prank. It made no noise whatsoever, except the wind as it moved and a hideous, terrifying sound that I wish to never hear again.

I never believed that there was a Grim Reaper. I thought it only symbolized death. I've moved the guinea pin to my front yard, and I don't allow my children into those woods. I fear that it might come back.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MR?????

• Agent. Mulder

• truth's last stand

• Barek Halfhand

Wicked!

Did he ever see it again? Did anyone die in his neighbourhood after or while he was watching it?

If he was so scared it might visit the woods again why did he not move?

Seeing a figure is one thing, but how did he really know it was the grim reeper?

Tulpas are not hallucinations. They are "thoughtforms," and John Keel regards them as real things that emerge out of consciousness.

The Grim Reaper is an archetype of the collective unconscious. For human beings, perceptions of Death take this symbolic form, and if thoughtforms are real, then this symbolic form in turn takes on a life of its own, so to speak. It might walk around, and people might see it. It's not so much that the object originates in the wintess's mind; rather, it originates in the collective Mind-- if there is such a thing.

hey nice story :tu:

i myself have also seen something unexplained, ok here goes, about 6 yrs ago when i was 15 i went back to my home country to visit my relatives which is in vietnam (if u want unexplain stuff go there) well one night me and my niece which at the time was 19 yrs old, our culture goes by ranks not age ok back to the story her and her friends and i which was about 6 of us was riding around at 3 am looking for a place to sit and relax and have a coffee, then we reach this area that was dark and havent got much people around at that time. we rode past this alley way, at first i looked in there it was just a dark and normal alley way no big deal, when we reach the cofe it was closed :( .

then we took the same route back to the main road but we have to go pass that dark alley way again, so when we rode past there we all stoped there were 3 bikes and 6 people, and we all just stop and then i looked in there and there was this green glowing human shape figure with a cloak over it with a hood on (typical grim reaper) pointing its finger at me :cry: at first i thought i was seeing things and i then i heard my niece's friends voice saying what is that? i looked around and everyone was looking in the direction aswell so that thing wasnt pointing at me afterall i hope :hmm: then i screamed out in vietnamese "its a ghost!!!!! GO GO GO GO!!!" so we all rush our ass out of there! on the way riding home we were just "wah, what was that? ghost? ok!" no big deal, just vietnam :tu: i got more stories of my experience if anyoneis interested just tell me and i make a post :D peace

Seeing a figure is one thing, but how did he really know it was the grim reeper?

Maybe the height? I don't know, it sounds like a stereotypical image of the grim reaper (albeit a very, very TALL one), and I can't say I've ever heard of seeing the "grim reaper" figure...

However, my best friend swears he saw what he called "Death" at the mall about an hour from my house (in Indiana, Terre Haute for those who know where that is, for those who don't, it's where Tim McVeigh was executed)...he was about 16 at the time (he's my age, so that would be about 1999/2000), and he was walking around the mall, and he began to notice that in every store he went in, there was a very pale man in a suit with flowers who dressed in a past era's suit, and interacted with no one. He saw this man (who did not speak, looked out of place, and as far as I knew never looked at anyone in particular) in several stores across the mall, and he is convinced it was Death. I keep up on the local ghost stories, and I have never heard of anything at that mall (it's only a few decades old), and I have never heard of Death appearing as an old man in mourning. But it is still a peculiar story, and I can't explain it. Apparently this man got around the mall faster than would be expected for what looked to be his age, giving the paranormal aspect a little more credence. But I don't know for certain.

maybe it was just a ghost of a man mourning and he wanted to know if you were the only one who could see him

maybe it was just a ghost of a man mourning and he wanted to know if you were the only one who could see him

That's what I think. He thinks otherwise, but I wasn't there. I can only guess. It sounds to me like a saddened man mourning his wife possibly, or a child maybe. At whatever used to be on the mall property.

To add to the "thought forms" theory...

So basically if many people believe in something like Santa Clause..he will essentially come to creation?

I say that as in creation and perception of the human mind.

Makes sense, but I truly don't see the Grim Reaper as a symbol of death..I don't even see a crow as a symbol of death. To me..it is symbolized by the end of all hope.

This is odd..though it would seem there would be no real reason for the Grim Reaper to be there if he feels that it was actually there to collect souls. Unless of course it took HIS soul while he wasn't looking :P

That or the neighbor's dog's :P

Also...is he sure he saw the form clearly? Was he doing a little wacky tabbaccy before the incident? ANY kind of drug that he was taking(OTC or not) could have affected anything he saw...it is why people under the influence of any type of drug aren't allowed to submit statements to courts...etc. Things they and he saw may be influenced by some personal side-effect to the drug(by personal, I mean a side-effect that is rare, but occurs in few people).

You really never know, but he could also be making it up. People do it for attention. Easy to make something up if you have a vivid imagination...or in his case a vivid...internet connection.

Edit: I thought I would also add that it is quite possible that death will appear differently to many different people. Perhaps to your friend(truth's...) he symbolizes death as a cadaverous man with a suit and flowers. Even if he says he doesn't..the subconscious thoughts aren't at the forefront of your brain.

Perhaps the man in the original post symbolizes death in that kind of figure.

Edited by Sadonis

hey nice story :tu:

i myself have also seen something unexplained, ok here goes, about 6 yrs ago when i was 15 i went back to my home country to visit my relatives which is in vietnam (if u want unexplain stuff go there) well one night me and my niece which at the time was 19 yrs old, our culture goes by ranks not age ok back to the story her and her friends and i which was about 6 of us was riding around at 3 am looking for a place to sit and relax and have a coffee, then we reach this area that was dark and havent got much people around at that time. we rode past this alley way, at first i looked in there it was just a dark and normal alley way no big deal, when we reach the cofe it was closed :( .

then we took the same route back to the main road but we have to go pass that dark alley way again, so when we rode past there we all stoped there were 3 bikes and 6 people, and we all just stop and then i looked in there and there was this green glowing human shape figure with a cloak over it with a hood on (typical grim reaper) pointing its finger at me :cry: at first i thought i was seeing things and i then i heard my niece's friends voice saying what is that? i looked around and everyone was looking in the direction aswell so that thing wasnt pointing at me afterall i hope :hmm: then i screamed out in vietnamese "its a ghost!!!!! GO GO GO GO!!!" so we all rush our ass out of there! on the way riding home we were just "wah, what was that? ghost? ok!" no big deal, just vietnam :tu: i got more stories of my experience if anyoneis interested just tell me and i make a post :D peace

Interesting story. When I hear about glowing green men I mainly think of aliens.

WOW that story kicks!

some how i think the SPs hiding in the fog look just like this....................B

I have to say, I really just can't believe that there is a grim reaper. he would have to be everywhere at once. think about how many people die every second? so why is he walking around? granted if this is a "true" story, who knows what it could have been, I just doubt the whole grim reaper thing, its just the guys impressions on what he saw.

I have to say, I really just can't believe that there is a grim reaper. he would have to be everywhere at once. think about how many people die every second? so why is he walking around? granted if this is a "true" story, who knows what it could have been, I just doubt the whole grim reaper thing, its just the guys impressions on what he saw.

Santa

gets down alot of chimneys in one night!......................B

• 8 months later...

well, as to the chimney thing and death being everywhere at once. it's a somewhat easy to answer question depending on the nature of both those beings.

if we were to imagine death as being an embodiment of some Power shall we say. that Power does not exist inside of what we would call our Linear Time flow. therefor it can manifest at any time or place in our perspective of time. it can be both visiting say, your elderly neighbor, and someone hundreds of miles away. because our views of time are linear. it would exist outside of that linear time flow. so it is capable of manifesting in many different times and places at once. cause it isn't bound by the limitations of linear time.

and yes i do realize that i'm slightly repetative =P

So, Death is 20-25 FEET tall? And has a 'large(?)' 5 feet tall mace? That makes no sense, if he was 20-25 the mace would look normal/small, right? I like the story, although the size of death makes no sense...

Interesting story Truth's Last Stand! :tu:

If a sorcerer wants the victim to die, the grim reaper was there to assist.

but it doesn't mean the grim reaper was always successful.

• 1 year later...

I have had a similar experience this was when I was in 4th grade I was asleep in my bed I had a nighmare that I was in my living room watching tv then the doorbell rang I answered the door and there was a cop and standing next to him was a tall figure in a black robe and with a skeleton like face that was about 6ft he asked me where my brother was I knew ware he was but I lied and said I didn't know the hooded figure said you better not be lieing when I woke up my door was open the hall way light was on and standing next to the door to my brothers room was the figure I saw in my nightmare staring at me then he dissapered I didn't scream or anything and I couldn't go back to sleep for 4 days to this day I don't whether I was halucinating or whas it some type of warning or test.

I have had a similar experience this was when I was in 4th grade I was asleep in my bed I had a nighmare that I was in my living room watching tv then the doorbell rang I answered the door and there was a cop and standing next to him was a tall figure in a black robe and with a skeleton like face that was about 6ft he asked me where my brother was I knew ware he was but I lied and said I didn't know the hooded figure said you better not be lieing when I woke up my door was open the hall way light was on and standing next to the door to my brothers room was the figure I saw in my nightmare staring at me then he dissapered I didn't scream or anything and I couldn't go back to sleep for 4 days to this day I don't whether I was halucinating or whas it some type of warning or test.

i sure hope the grim reaper is hot like the grim reaper off of supernatural

This is what the witness said

I am curious where you got this from, do you have a link?

I have read a lot of paranormal sightings and such but never have I heard of anything that was 20-25 feet tall. Even in in thick woods you would think that something like that would be visible from a good distance.

It is interesting.

i sure hope the grim reaper is hot like the grim reaper off of supernatural

lol I highly doubt that anything that has to do with death is going to look like the grim reaper off of supernatural there was nothing hot about what I saw I just laid there and what went through my mind if its here to kill me theres nothing I could do to stop it or anyone that could help me but the thing that I don't understand is if it was the grim reaper and he was there for my brother than why would he wait there for me to wake up and see him.

The "Grim Reaper" is a man made personification of Death; it's no more real than Santa Clause or Kermit the frog.