Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns Do Not Kill People

Yamato

Thank you for nailing it once again, Julie. It's good to see a thoughtful citizen offering suggestions that can actually prevent the next Sandy Hook and Columbine by putting the responsibility where it belongs and understanding why these tragedies occur.

Sandy Hook isn't the fault of legal gun owners. It's the fault of the murderer. Period. And as with any crime, understanding the mindset and the motives of the murderer criminal will help us prevent the next tragedy. But knowing this isn't a reason for people to get their politically motivated legislation passed that's irrelevant to preventing the crime anymore than it's a reason to popularize another unpopular madman. My fellow Americans, stop giving madmen what they want. Stop infringing on the rights of the upright and the innocent to fight back.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Yamato
  • Like 5

If I thought doing what you claim might do some good, I'd support it. But I have serious doubts.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

No guns do not kill people its the people behind the guns that kill people, I`d say open up the mental hospitals again where when someone feels someone not seriously talking or acting right can just call and have them commited on the spot, not just doctors giving people drugs and hope that sloves the problem.I think the Sandy hook`s mother was trying to have her son commited but was having a hard time of it.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 5

No guns do not kill people its the people behind the guns that kill people, I`d say open up the mental hospitals again where when someone feels someone not seriously talking or acting right can just call and have them commited on the spot, not just doctors giving people drugs and hope that sloves the problem.I think the Sandy hook`s mother was trying to have her son commited but was having a hard time of it.

And this is the where the debate belongs, not over irrelevant arguments legislating around the gun with even more resource-wasting line-drawing and hoop-jumping for lawful citizens to pay for.

Doctors are the experts here, not police. It's not the job of law enforcement to replace the psychologist. A doctor already has the professional duty to have someone committed if they feel they are a threat to society or themselves.

Whatever reasons made that mother have a hard time of it, Washington DC initiatives to close mental health resources down, while blabbering about our guns instead, got it wrong on both fronts, as usual.

• Like 3

I'm gonna sound like a serious hippie, but the only way I can see all this turning around is for people to have more love in there hearts for one another. All these crimes start by having apathetical feelings toward people. Then you add anger for all the pain you go through due to others having apathy toward you. Anger and apathy is the definition of hate. All this won't happen if we don't start caring about each other first of all, and then teach kids to love one another. It's an impossibility I know, but it's still true.

• Like 3

I'm gonna sound like a serious hippie, but the only way I can see all this turning around is for people to have more love in there hearts for one another. All these crimes start by having apathetical feelings toward people. Then you add anger for all the pain you go through due to others having apathy toward you. Anger and apathy is the definition of hate. All this won't happen if we don't start caring about each other first of all, and then teach kids to love one another. It's an impossibility I know, but it's still true.

If the drug companies stopped giving SSRI's out like it's candy than perhaps these wacked out zombies will show some apathy. Ever wonder why these mass shootings didn't happen over 30 years ago? There is definitely a connection. This cannot be denied any longer.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 6

Thank you for nailing it once again, Julie.

[media=]

[/media]

I like Her. I don't always agree with her, but she makes a good video.

And this is the where the debate belongs, not over irrelevant arguments legislating around the gun with even more resource-wasting line-drawing and hoop-jumping for lawful citizens to pay for.

But, it is so much more knee-jerk to treat a symptom then to treat the actual injury/problem. Plus, if if we were to confront the actual issue, it would require a lot of digging in the Mud of Society as to why so many people are Have-Nots and why they are Kept there. And why violence and crime happen, and sometimes involve guns.

• Like 3

Thank you for nailing it once again, Julie.

Reason 1 why they are loners is the school system. This is what happens when you care more about being PC by not telling the student they are wrong. School is for instruction which also includes correction. They don’t build self confidence by not failing. And by not failing, they cannot excel in individual achievement.

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 2

We should be careful here. If we start committing everyone that doesn’t act right, we would all be institutionalized.

• Like 1

Reason 2 why they are loners is the government system. This is turning into a nanny state and when you are nannyied, you are spoiled because you feel entitled. And that creates a lack of caring and instills Ignorance and Apathy.

Many years ago in sunday school we learned the JOY acronym. You are taught that to be truly happy in life, you must first love (J)esus, then love (O)thers, then (Y)ourself. But I think this is backwards because if you do not love (self interested) yourself first then how can you love others and if you do not love others, then how can you love Jesus? Jesus says to love one another as yourself. It doesn’t say to deny yourself for others. This is what the collective tells you – to deny yourself for the good of the whole. Without nourishing the individual, let alone put it first, we lose direction and balance.

• Like 3

Reason 1 why they are loners is the school system. This is what happens when you care more about being PC by not telling the student they are wrong. School is for instruction which also includes correction. They don’t build self confidence by not failing. And by not failing, they cannot excel in individual achievement.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

• Like 2

I'd say it's very relevant Gummug. One factor that never gets mentioned is that we are taught from our youth that violence and killing are perfectly acceptable... for the "right" reasons.

I think that attitude makes it a smaller step to kill for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

I'm hoping this is relevant to the topic at hand:

http://www.naturalne...Adam_Lanza.html

It's highly relevant.

A "Personality Disorder" is a medical cop-out by a psychotropic medical industrial complex in its infancy testing a host of dangerous chemicals that interact with the human brain in trial and error experiments. Since medical science cannot measure our brain chemicals to know what we need to balance them, they just throw chemicals at patients until the patient lands on something they're actually willing to keep taking. Pumping peoples' heads full of the wrong chemical they don't need and making the relative shortages of the right chemical even worse.

Psychiatry takes a society-centric view instead of a patient-centric view, overlooking their own inability and culpability to treat mental illness effectively and dumping the burden on the sick person instead. It becomes the patient's fault. They have a personal problem; a "personality disorder" because they're bad for society, at least today's society. 20,000 years ago a manic episode would have gotten the men out of the cave to hunt the wooly mammoth when the women and children and the rest of the tribe was starving to death. That sleepless 24-hour high could mean the difference between life and death. But in the modern rat race of alarm clocks, deadlines, gadgets and ADHD, it's the obedient caffeine drinkers with the Protestant work ethic who have the personality order. Not the manics, neurotics or schizos.

• Like 3

It's highly relevant.

A "Personality Disorder" is a medical cop-out by a psychotropic medical industrial complex in its infancy testing a host of dangerous chemicals that interact with the human brain in trial and error experiments. Since medical science cannot measure our brain chemicals to know what we need to balance them, they just throw chemicals at patients until the patient lands on something they're actually willing to keep taking. Pumping peoples' heads full of the wrong chemical they don't need and making the relative shortages of the right chemical even worse.

Psychiatry takes a society-centric view instead of a patient-centric view, overlooking their own inability and culpability to treat mental illness effectively and dumping the burden on the sick person instead. It becomes the patient's fault. They have a personal problem; a "personality disorder" because they're bad for society, at least today's society. 20,000 years ago a manic episode would have gotten the men out of the cave to hunt the wooly mammoth when the women and children and the rest of the tribe was starving to death. That sleepless 24-hour high could mean the difference between life and death. But in the modern rat race of alarm clocks, deadlines, gadgets and ADHD, it's the obedient caffeine drinkers with the Protestant work ethic who have the personality order. Not the manics, neurotics or schizos.

This is an excellent post! I hadn't seen it from this angle before...

Another thing, just because a drug is "FDA" approved, does that make it safe? Was thalidomide ever FDA approved? And of course, we know how that turned out... :cry:

• Like 3

This is an excellent post! I hadn't seen it from this angle before...

Another thing, just because a drug is "FDA" approved, does that make it safe? Was thalidomide ever FDA approved? And of course, we know how that turned out... :cry:

"Safe" is very subjective to the FDA. As long as it doesn't cause instant death (or as long as there are no studies showing it does) and the side effects are "reasonable" (again, something very subjective to the FDA).

• Like 1

However, on topic...

We need to be very careful about the mental health issue. Not all "mental health experts" agree on everything. There is no baseline for what "symptoms" they need to watch out for.

Many vets returning from combat are apathetic. And there are very good reasons for that. Does this mean that we shouldn't be allowed to own firearms? No, it doesn't. Same as someone that never served, or someone that has but never saw combat. They can be apathetic, but that alone shouldn't be grounds for labeling them in such a manner that would keep them from exercising a Constitutional Right. Apathy does not equate to eventual mass shootings. (Oh, and you have to have some measure of apathy to be able to function in a combat environment, otherwise, you'll get people around you killed - to include yourself)

I know several psychiatrists and psycologists (friends), and for fun had them do their mental health thing on me. 5 different results, because they interpret what they hear differently. So, a standard would have to be made, but who is going to come up with that standard? And are we, the people, going to be okay with that standard? Are we going to have any say in it? Most likely not.

• Like 2

Thanks MstrMsn, that helps clarify it a bit...it looks to me like "subjective" is the operative word...it may be that one day a drug like Prozac, or even Prozac itself, will be proven (if such a thing CAN be proven) to cause homicidal rages, yet by the subjective standard employed by FDA that you mentioned, it is not inconceivable that said drug would be passed by the FDA?

• Like 1

In the same humorous vein, we have:

and a little more seriously:

• Like 1

Good question Gummug. I think that the FDA provides a degree of assurance about the safety and the effectiveness of a drug. Anti-depressants are powerful and they can work well. They've been responsibly pulled off the market in particular cases, like Wellbutrin's seizures. But depressed people will take anti-depressants and feel less depressed. The FDA approval tells me that it's not snake oil and it won't kill me. I'm not going to expect any expertise from the FDA beyond that. Some people will take the drugs, start thinking suicidal thoughts for the first time in their lives and kill themselves. Many get no improvement at all. Side effects are everywhere, and a lot of money is being spent for these results that we should at least question. It's our inability to measure what we're treating in the brain that makes it so hazardous. I think we have too much faith in our handlers the way we're being treated. There should be more scientists sitting together around a giant round table, sharing their research with their colleagues, instead of our scientists being turned into businessmen loyal to their employer logo and subjected to stove-piped corporations who guard their secrets so they can milk them on people for as long as possible.

Our standards are too low and we've allowed ourselves to accept a deluge of new molecules onto the market without questioning them. I think it's more about what we're not saying than what the FDA is. And I think the reason we're not saying it is because mental illness is still taboo. When someone has cancer, nobody asks them how many times they laid out in the sun or how much greasy food they ate. When someone breaks their leg everyone can understand they can't walk without crutches. When someone's brain is sick, it's their own fault. Just put them in a cage, it's easier on the rest of us. That's the real reason I think people are so lax about what this industry has become. And unfortunately I think it's going to cause more Adam Lanzas, and coincidentally more opportunities to take peoples' guns away.

• Like 1

The blondy nails it with allowing GOV to ban semi-automatics is a gateway to banning all guns.

• Like 2