Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA tests to solve mystery of big cats

Still Waters

The National Trust has ordered DNA tests on a deer mauled by a savage predator to finally prove whether big cats prowl the British countryside.

There have been thousands of reports of big cats across the UK but most are a fleeting glimpse caught by a member of the public.

The most definitive evidence that has been gathered so far are images on mobile phone cameras or blurry video.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• turn on tune in

• Timothy

• George Ford

I think when all is said and done. We'll find out that the big cats are ill advised released captive cats. People will always be irresponsible when dealing with the natural balance.

There are many WALLABIES thriving in the wild in UK. So escaped big cats could be around,probably not breeding pairs because they are rare

I used to work on a cow farm in a small place called lathom in lancashire their was a panther roaming around their i saw it several times, 2 times i was within 50 feet of it, so i could tell it was deffinately a big cat.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that Big Cats (be they Panthers or Lynx) are out there in the wilds of England. Some of the reports from Forest Rangers are sufficient to think there might be a very small breeding poulation, my guess would be Bodmin - very remote, lots of sheep and deer even in winter to sustain a small group.

Lynx may never have become extinct in the first place... I do not see any evidence that this has ocurred..

I used to work on a cow farm in a small place called lathom in lancashire their was a panther roaming around their i saw it several times, 2 times i was within 50 feet of it, so i could tell it was deffinately a big cat.

I've seen them here in Lancashire too.

It wouldnt surprise me if they have been here since we discovered the Americas. I dont think the Romans new about them.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Lynx may never have become extinct in the first place... I do not see any evidence that this has ocurred..

When were lynx ever considered to be extinct? :blink:

The wilds of England? It's getting harder and harder to find a patch of grass that isn't either being used to grow rape seed or being built on for housing...

The wilds of England? It's getting harder and harder to find a patch of grass that isn't either being used to grow rape seed or being built on for housing...

Hmmm...you should come up and walk around the dales and penines ...lots of free open space and all you usually meet are sheep and cows.

Edited by BrianPotter

I think the biggest surprise nowadays is that people still think that big cats are NOT in the UK.If big cats were released and a male and a female did meet and breed,what native predator would they have to fear...?...man is all i can think of and maybe a fox...badgers do eat small mammals occasionally...not much in the grand scheme of things really.Plus it isnt like we dont have any food for them to eat...rabbits,sheep,deer,game birds...perfect settings for a big cat to thrive IMO

Edited by BrianPotter

Abig cat would have to kill maybe every other day. There would be much evidence of freshly killed animals. Sheep would be easy prey.So I have doubts about this topic

Abig cat would have to kill maybe every other day. There would be much evidence of freshly killed animals. Sheep would be easy prey.So I have doubts about this topic

They will kill mostly everyday but small kills....who takes note of rabbit carcasses(if anythings left at all).We have millions of rabbits all over the place and thats without mentioning other small mammals,game birds and foxes even.We even have packs of wild boar here now due to releases(Dartmoor especially) .My whippets can catch and kill rabbits(which i dont like but its nature) and game birds....one even catches blackbirds....so a big cat would have no trouble for food.Sheep,deer may just be a chance kill so you wouldn't expect them to be on the menu everyday.I kid you not but if i go off with my dogs in the fields and hills,its a rare day if i DONT see some form of carcass or kill,be it from whatever.

Sheep,deer may just be a chance kill so you wouldn't expect them to be on the menu everyday.I kid you not but if i go off with my dogs in the fields and hills,its a rare day if i DONT see some form of carcass or kill,be it from whatever.

Its funny that this topic has come up as we played spot the sheep skull last weekend, on a walk on the moors above Manchester. In a 10mile walk we spotted 7 and 2 freshly predated sheep carcasses, its knowing how many sheep were killed by the last two hard winters although rumour has it that a black panther lives in the area.

Its funny that this topic has come up as we played spot the sheep skull last weekend, on a walk on the moors above Manchester. In a 10mile walk we spotted 7 and 2 freshly predated sheep carcasses, its knowing how many sheep were killed by the last two hard winters although rumour has it that a black panther lives in the area.

If you mean Saddleworth then i wouldn't be surprised up there because thats a wild rugged area too.....you have roads through it but theres enough free open space where people dont tread regularly plus it merges in with the moors around Glossop i think, which is similar....i got lost up there once actually in a car(pre satnav) trying to find some little village...cant remember the name now but i know very little traffic passed me...

dont wish to say i told u so but i have told rick and his partner to focus on woodchester park many months ago.

if the bettings open at ladbrokes have a few quid on a black jaguar.

ive seen it up close and was warned off by it on one occasion, (stick to the path) american wererwolf in london sprang to mind.

woodchester and selsley common and woods have been my play ground for years, the cats leave a carcass - me and my dogs dont.

as for the non belevers - BELEVE, they are here and plentyful.

"Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors"

"Beware the moon, lads."

wooooooo....

lol

:lol: ...i could never take Brian Glover serious in American Werewolf....all that kept popping into my mind was Kes....

:lol: ...i could never take Brian Glover serious in American Werewolf....all that kept popping into my mind was Kes....

Me either. After Kes he would forever be that PE teacher, no matter the part he was playing. lol

Me either. After Kes he would forever be that PE teacher, no matter the part he was playing. lol

:lol: ..:tu:

if you heard the noise it made you wouldn't ne laughing eldorado, i'm a hardend out door poacher and it scared the crap out of me

@angi chiesa

They are highly elusive animals, they take there prey to

remote spots to consume. This one perhaps was startled by

someone leaving it's prey behind.

I think there is no mystery to these cats,People taking them

as pets,soon realize it to great of a burden and release them.

If a couple people a year do this,you would start having a small population

in no time.

Edited by zigoapex

Hmmm...you should come up and walk around the dales and penines ...lots of free open space and all you usually meet are sheep and cows.

I will be there as soon as I win the lotto, sounds marvelous, even with the big cats.

Where I live now (TX US) there are cougars, some small wild cats and perhaps a jaguar or two. It does give one pause when walking through the rough.