Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

UM-Bot

Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: One News Now

Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

Please Adults do not let your children near ouija boards, they can be EVIL. :devil:

I know this is off topic a bit, but do ouija boards come in other alphabets? I think it would be cool to try using a Greek or Cyrillic board, or imagine what a Cantonese or Mandarin ouija would look like.

Hasbro should've went with my idea, the ouidgie (wedgie) board. It's basically a shoe horn with a hooked end for bullies who are germaphobic but still want to haul peoples undies uncomfortably up. Still pretty horrific but with no long-term soul damage or supernatural side-effects. And it will come with a pink version for girls!

• Like 2

i still fail to grasp how a piece of laminated cardboard with the alphabet, numbers 1-9 and words like hello and goodbye could ever be able to contact the dead/demons. coulnt you just make your own out of construction paper? and if ouijia boards actually could contact benevolent spirits, wouldn't there be a recall?

Although they do seem to tend to cause hysterical reactions in people, especially children and teens, who apparently don't have the intellectual critical thinking skills or intent needed to approach it as an experiment for the mind and reasoning, it is still just an entertainment novelty (to be fair I can't say it is a game, as it has no real features of what we consider games) and functions on the almost never understood or accepted ideomotor principle. Saying they need to be removed because they cause problems is like saying the same for Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly or Risk, because those can lead to real life fights and bad feelings that can also last a long time and cause grudges.

When people get negative stuff and cursing and verbal abuse, which they are wont to do because that's the types of things that a lot of younger people or the very anxious manifest due to their immaturity, they become near basketcases, swear the Devil is trying to eat their soul, burn the board and never, ever touch it again and make it their mission in life to warn others away from the most dangerous game, relating their own bad first-hand "experience" as proof. None of these things has anything to do with the board itself but people's own tendencies and inclinations, and sometimes desires - they want to be scared, they want to scare, they feel guilty, they want to be mean to someone else, they want something out of this world to believe in - they get all these. They could just as easily print one out and use a CD to make one (my main sig has a page to do that), or build a radionics device out of an old TV knob, cereal box and copper wire, or even use a Scientology truthometer or whatever those ridiculous things are called.

I think the girls' version is a hilariously shrewd concept because those are where 90% of the base stories of horror come from, which only drum up yet more interest (even if it is seen by most as 'negative') and fascination with the Ouija as a forbidden "tool", because that's what kids do - what you tell them NOT to - and we don't necessarily outgrow that as adults.

I don't know who this guy or his "organization" is but I'd recommend to him to spend about fifteen minutes actually looking at the thing with a critical (not prejudiced from ignorance) eye and realize there's nothing "threatening" to it and if you blindfolded users, you'd get words about as coherent as most Youtube comments.

Quirky idea, disturbing avatar, Rob.

Edited by Paranormalcy

good idea?..yes...it is a damn toy. I see it in the toy section all the time

im going to go out on a limb here and agree with paranormalcy. rob awesome's avatar seems more threatening to me than some cardboard pos with letters and numbers on it. if what appears to be a person's head in the lower left corner is actually so, i fear for them. my nighttime hours shall be plagued by nightmares of rabid seals. :unsure2:

threat level (1-10):

pink ouija board for girlie 8yo sleepover slumber parties - 0.5

rabid seals patrolling the coastal waters for unsuspecting victims - 9.7

i rest my case.

Should have a Ouija-Scrabble board....let the ancestors play against the kids.

Now there's a right fine idea....get that idea patented my friend :tu: Unfortunate caveat though, spirits are lousy spellers.

• Like 1

Now there's a right fine idea....get that idea patented my friend thumbsup.gif Unfortunate caveat though, spirits are lousy spellers.

After a few spirits, my spelling suffers too.

• Like 2

What's not understood is how it's used and by whom. Teens that are already into the occult may be pushed further into it. Adults that believe it has some kind of power may be further directed by what they glean from it. If there were nothing to it then there wouldn't be millions of dark incidents associated with it out there. We already have too many people that believe in werewolves, Vampires, etc.. This is the kind of thing they don't need to influence them, artificially or otherwise. IMO it's not a toy no matter what it does or does not do.

What's not understood is how it's used and by whom. Teens that are already into the occult may be pushed further into it. Adults that believe it has some kind of power may be further directed by what they glean from it. If there were nothing to it then there wouldn't be millions of dark incidents associated with it out there. We already have too many people that believe in werewolves, Vampires, etc.. This is the kind of thing they don't need to influence them, artificially or otherwise. IMO it's not a toy no matter what it does or does not do.

I agree with you... TOO MANY people believe in werewolves, Vampires, Heaven and Hell, God(s), Devils, Demons, Tooth-fairies, and such. You state there are "millions of dark incidents" associated with these (millions?? really??)... but don't stop there! Look at how many have suffered and/or died in the name of "GOD"! It's funny: If you believe in aliens... you're a nut job, but if you believe in GOD you're a decent person... yet neither have been proved or disproved. Interesting how standards are manipulated when it comes to matters of Church.....

im going to go out on a limb here and agree with paranormalcy. rob awesome's avatar seems more threatening to me than some cardboard pos with letters and numbers on it. if what appears to be a person's head in the lower left corner is actually so, i fear for them. my nighttime hours shall be plagued by nightmares of rabid seals. :unsure2:

threat level (1-10):

pink ouija board for girlie 8yo sleepover slumber parties - 0.5

rabid seals patrolling the coastal waters for unsuspecting victims - 9.7

i rest my case.

To be fair, my hair has grown in since that was taken :).

Those are people, you can find the original here: http://www.stupidvideos.com/pictures/Crazy_Seal/#260215

Its weird how this item can be sold as a toy? They God works in strange ways so i guess the devil can too...I would never use one of these things nothing good ever comes from them....

Ya know, if you believe in ghosts/spirits/demons communicating with the Ouija board, it makes sense to believe that anything can be a portal or communication device or whatever. Scrawl a bunch of letters on a tissue and stick a coin on it and these entities can communicate if they want to.

I have no problem with them being sold. There is nothing special about Parker Bros. that make their board work any better than a homemade one. If there are spirits out there who want to communicate with people, I highly doubt they need some printed cardboard and a plastic triangle to do it.

This is kind of a loaded question. Ideally it should be, "Are Ouija boards bad?" To ask if they should be sold to children sort of automatically assumes they are bad, but asks how bad ( bad enough that children shouldn't be exposed? )

I REALLY don't think this is a good idea and i strongly sagest that adults do NOT buy this for their kids or anyone els for that matter, it might just look like a fun little game to play but play that little game wrong and your gonna find yourself asking "why in hell's name did I buy this damn thing!?" and I'm not joking that thing is not a toy...

Edited by Dark Morphling

I REALLY don't think this is a good idea and i strongly sagest that adults do NOT buy this for their kids or anyone els for that matter, it might just look like a fun little game to play but play that little game wrong and your gonna find yourself asking "why in hell's name did I buy this damn thing!?" and I'm not joking that thing is not a toy...

After reading this post Paranormalcy (sp?) post comes to mind. Bottom line is that it's nothing more than a board with numbers.

The Ouija board is just a toy, it's a board game you play with a group of people I never understood how people can think it's real at all

ohmy.gif...........................................hmm.gif