Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can you regrow adult human teeth?

psychoticmike

ok, so i know what every dentist is gonna say, no its impossible, you get one set of adult teeth and thats it! but why is it impossible? many ideas were once thought to be impossible and later proved to be true. i for one believe it can be done, and i have read things online of people saying how they regrew their teeth, or when their adult tooth fell out, a new adult tooth started to grow in its place, etc. i have also read articles about people supposedly regrowing their teeth by changing the type of food they eat to a far more nutritious diet. so do you think its possible to regrow human teeth through nutrition or any other means? look at beavers their teeth regrow their entire life, and i've read about skeletons being found with a second set of adult teeth below the original, but the thing that p***es me off the most about this subject is the lack of information on it, so if you were to attempt to regrow your tooth, or repair an existing one, what would you need to know? and what methods do you think could work? i don't know much about genetics or dna or even to much about what teeth are composed of, but what i've read about it, teeth are similar but not the same as bone, and your body can regrow bone, and considering we are made of materials readily found on this planet, i just don't see why it can't be done, if we are made up of certain minerals, vitamins, and other materials that are all found on earth, why can't we use them to repair our bodies? sorry i know its a lot of questions but i am really interested about this topic and would like to know more, if you have any information on it please let me know, and i don't wanna sound rude but i would like a answer explaining your position on the matter instead of what you have just heard about it or what your opinion on it is, if you say its impossible explain why that is so, if you say it is possible please also explain why, thanks.

Of course right now it is still not possible for most of us to regrow teeth. However, the technology is getting there due to all the avenues of research that are under way. In fact, it might only be a few years before you will be able to purchase a device that can help you grow a new tooth in about a year. Of course that is a lot slower than just getting a crown, but it would be a real tooth. The device uses something called a low intensity pulsed ultra sound. The ultra sound stimulates the root when you use it for twenty minutes a day, and eventually, a tooth starts to come out to replace the missing one. The original version was too large to be really useful, but it has since been miniaturized so it can attach to braces or be placed in a temporary crown that you would use for the year it takes to grow the tooth.

http://www.lexuss.info/health-and-fitness/soon-we-will-be-able-to-regrow-teeth/

ok, so i know what every dentist is gonna say, no its impossible, you get one set of adult teeth and thats it! but why is it impossible? many ideas were once thought to be impossible and later proved to be true. i for one believe it can be done, and i have read things online of people saying how they regrew their teeth, or when their adult tooth fell out, a new adult tooth started to grow in its place, etc. i have also read articles about people supposedly regrowing their teeth by changing the type of food they eat to a far more nutritious diet. so do you think its possible to regrow human teeth through nutrition or any other means? look at beavers their teeth regrow their entire life, and i've read about skeletons being found with a second set of adult teeth below the original, but the thing that p***es me off the most about this subject is the lack of information on it, so if you were to attempt to regrow your tooth, or repair an existing one, what would you need to know? and what methods do you think could work? i don't know much about genetics or dna or even to much about what teeth are composed of, but what i've read about it, teeth are similar but not the same as bone, and your body can regrow bone, and considering we are made of materials readily found on this planet, i just don't see why it can't be done, if we are made up of certain minerals, vitamins, and other materials that are all found on earth, why can't we use them to repair our bodies? sorry i know its a lot of questions but i am really interested about this topic and would like to know more, if you have any information on it please let me know, and i don't wanna sound rude but i would like a answer explaining your position on the matter instead of what you have just heard about it or what your opinion on it is, if you say its impossible explain why that is so, if you say it is possible please also explain why, thanks.

The human body can't do this naturally, simple as.

I researched your claim that bone regrows (before anyone jumps, I know it can't but I at least wanted to know where he got this **** from) and it just doesn't work. I think you may be mistaking the healing processes of broken bones with regrowth, if you snap a bone in half and keep the halves separate what do you think will happen assuming they get all the nutrients a body would?

Also, by your logic if we're made of materials found on the planet (which we are) and we can somehow use these elements then why can't I grow new parts of my body.

Dude, just no.

Edited by Virus

The human body can't do this naturally, simple as.

and where is your proof? maybe our teeth used to be able to regenerate, i'm not talking growing a completely new tooth, when your previous one rotted out, i mean when you have a tooth that is slightly damaged, (such as a chipped tooth) how do you know it isn't possible to regrow the damaged part if the root is still alive and intact?

I researched your claim that bone regrows (before anyone jumps, I know it can't but I at least wanted to know where he got this **** from) and it just doesn't work. I think you may be mistaking the healing processes of broken bones with regrowth, if you snap a bone in half and keep the halves separate what do you think will happen assuming they get all the nutrients a body would?

really? LOL dude i broke my left arm the bone shattered, i had surgery on it and the bone healed back they put 3 screws in it to hold it together to give it the chance to heal, so what are you talking about bone cannot be regrown?

"if you snap a bone in half and keep the halves separate what do you think will happen assuming they get all the nutrients a body would?"

the bone would not heal the same way that it was, but it would still heal! haven't you ever heard of people having to have their bone re-broken because it healed crooked? duh.. of course bone regrows! if it didn't regrow then broken shattered bones would never re-connect and heal into one bone again. I'm curious to know where you got your information from because its incorrect.

Also, by your logic if we're made of materials found on the planet (which we are) and we can somehow use these elements then why can't I grow new parts of my body.

your kidding me right? can you tell me the difference between regeneration and regrowth? its essentially the same would you not agree?

people have health issues when they do not get the proper nutrients and they're deficient in vitamins and minerals, but then when they get those vitamins and minerals in the proper form and amount they're body usually recovers from that condition, well guess where those minerals and vitamins come from. The earth! so if vitamins and minerals heal our bodies of many conditions then they must be regenerating parts of our bodies would you not agree? so where is your logic?

Dude, just no.

thanks for the link, it seems this information is regurgitated all over the internet tho. I tried to look into this, and i came across an article talking about the ultrasound device but that it would still take a few years before it would be on the market, and i have not seen any recent developments with it.

ive worked at a dentist office for 8 years. it could be done, with the stem cells in the nerve of the tooth, but i dont think it has been done. well not in humans yet. mice- yes.

ive worked at a dentist office for 8 years. it could be done, with the stem cells in the nerve of the tooth, but i dont think it has been done. well not in humans yet. mice- yes.

thank you! i'm glad someone actually knows what their talking about unlike the previous poster who just came with unfounded opinions and nothing to back it up! yeah i've heard a little about the stem cells but further research is needed, i still wonder tho if its possible through nutrition!

As far as I'm aware it's not naturally possible as the enamel producing cells which are a vital part of the formation of the tooth are not normally active within human adults. Due to this I doubt that it would be possible to regrow a tooth solely through changing your diet.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware it's not naturally possible as the enamel producing cells which are a vital part of the formation of the tooth are not normally active within human adults. Due to this I doubt that it would be possible to regrow a tooth solely through changing your diet.

thanks for the input, yeah it appears that nutrition would not work exclusively, but none the less your comment led me to a search where i found this

My link

this sounds the most likely to work in my opinion, i just wish they would hurry up and figure it out already!!

thank you! i'm glad someone actually knows what their talking about unlike the previous poster who just came with unfounded opinions and nothing to back it up! yeah i've heard a little about the stem cells but further research is needed, i still wonder tho if its possible through nutrition!

Yeah... I read his post as saying what I was saying.

Lets take a fun trip down memory lane, shall we?

"The human body can't do this naturally, simple as." - Naturally being the key word, the process the poster you quoted pointed out how it would work and that isn't natural mate.

However I'll have a go with some of your other comments:

"and where is your proof? maybe our teeth used to be able to regenerate, i'm not talking growing a completely new tooth, when your previous one rotted out, i mean when you have a tooth that is slightly damaged, (such as a chipped tooth) how do you know it isn't possible to regrow the damaged part if the root is still alive and intact?

"

Where's my proof for saying we don't regrow teeth naturally? You're ****ing me, right? :lol:

A chipped tooth stays chipped, we don't yet have the science to fix this with new tooth. However we can use false teeth, fillings, etc

"really? LOL dude i broke my left arm the bone shattered, i had surgery on it and the bone healed back they put 3 screws in it to hold it together to give it the chance to heal, so what are you talking about bone cannot be regrown?"

Regrown, no. It can be healed though, as I pointed out to you. I also pointed out you misunderstand healing properties and regrowth.

The thing is, you seem to misunderstand my points so I'll spell it out for you:

1) Regrowth isn't a natural process for the human bone structure.

2) Healing isn't the same as regrowth, if you're missing a large chunk of bone it will not heal, the bone. You're once again missing what I'm saying, my point was that bones heal but if you took the component parts away then it just couldn't regrow, it would heal over but the bone wouldn't go back to it's original state.

3) Science will make these things possible on human beings.

We don't disagree that much you've just misunderstood my points.

Also, your link does state that it wouldn't grow back naturally, not sure what angle you were trying to take on it though.

Edited by Virus

Yeah... I read his post as saying what I was saying.

Lets take a fun trip down memory lane, shall we?

"The human body can't do this naturally, simple as." - Naturally being the key word, the process the poster you quoted pointed out how it would work and that isn't natural mate.

yeah you seem to need a refresher, this topic is not exclusively about naturally regrowing teeth, i am considering all possibility's. If it can't be done through nutrition, then prove it to me, show me something that totally proves me wrong!

and you are implying i have memory issues but yet if you look back in my posts you can easily see i never said it was natural, natural would be if the tooth just started regrowing all on its own without outside help or influence. here I'll repeat what i said before since it clearly needs reinforcing, if it is possible to regrow your tooth threw nutrition alone, that would not be a natural process if you got the nutrients you need and use them to regrow it, so I'm not sure where your going with this, and again you provided no proof for your statements, show me something that definitively proves me wrong.

However I'll have a go with some of your other comments:

"and where is your proof? maybe our teeth used to be able to regenerate, i'm not talking growing a completely new tooth, when your previous one rotted out, i mean when you have a tooth that is slightly damaged, (such as a chipped tooth) how do you know it isn't possible to regrow the damaged part if the root is still alive and intact?

"

Where's my proof for saying we don't regrow teeth naturally? You're ****ing me, right? :lol:

A chipped tooth stays chipped, we don't yet have the science to fix this with new tooth. However we can use false teeth, fillings, etc

no because I NEVER SAID that growing back teeth through nutrition was a natural process, nor did i say growing them back with stem cells was a natural process, if this is your stance then i suggest you reread what i wrote so you can understand it, and i know what is available for fixing them, but none of those are ideal it would be far better to regrow your own teeth

"really? LOL dude i broke my left arm the bone shattered, i had surgery on it and the bone healed back they put 3 screws in it to hold it together to give it the chance to heal, so what are you talking about bone cannot be regrown?"

Regrown, no. It can be healed though, as I pointed out to you. I also pointed out you misunderstand healing properties and regrowth.

wow man really? LOL the bone heals because it grows back together, what part of that is losing you? do i need to clarify your own thoughts for you? and i never said putting a bone in a cast to put the two parts back together so they could grow back together was a natural process LOL clearly you are the one who is misunderstanding this.

The thing is, you seem to misunderstand my points so I'll spell it out for you:

1) Regrowth isn't a natural process for the human bone structure.

2) Healing isn't the same as regrowth, if you're missing a large chunk of bone it will not heal, the bone. You're once again missing what I'm saying, my point was that bones heal but if you took the component parts away then it just couldn't regrow, it would heal over but the bone wouldn't go back to it's original state.

3) Science will make these things possible on human beings.

no, its the other way around i understand what you are trying to say but its just wrong! and right the bone would not return to its original state, THAT IS WHAT I SAID, but obviously there is growth, otherwise the bone would not reconnect the broken pieces even if you did put a cast on it. so there is clearly regrowth going on, so how am i confusing healing with regrowth? i realize that if you took a large enough piece of the bone away it would most likely not regrown, but if you have a little chip in your tooth, and the tooth is still alive and the roots intact, then why not? i read something about teeth before and they have something similar to veins in them,and teeth actually go through a process similar to sweating, so if the teeth had the right nutrients and they were able to be delivered through those vain things, then maybe they can regenerate, especially if they were given the chance to heal by changing your diet, and cutting out sugar and other things that cause dental decay.

We don't disagree that much you've just misunderstood my points.

no you misunderstand mine, if you are so right provide me with some links to prove your point!

Also, your link does state that it wouldn't grow back naturally, not sure what angle you were trying to take on it though.

and once again, i never said they would regrow back naturally! so what are you talking about?

regrow adult teeth? don't we only grow teeth twice in our lives? baby teeth and then adult teeth. oh unless you count wisdom teeth then it's three times. I wouldn't want to volunteer myself for stem cell research for regrowing teeth. i would rather just pay for some fake dentures. it is more safer.

regrow adult teeth? don't we only grow teeth twice in our lives? baby teeth and then adult teeth. oh unless you count wisdom teeth then it's three times.

yes, but i thought everybody already knew that!

I wouldn't want to volunteer myself for stem cell research for regrowing teeth. i would rather just pay for some fake dentures. it is more safer.

neither would i, but I'm sure there are some people out there with such bad teeth, they would volunteer! i wouldn't rather pay for dentures, they are unreliable in my opinion, i mean who wants to glue their teeth to their mouth every day for the rest of their life? not me!! and they can fall out too! the only option available as of now i would choose is implants but they are very expensive and they break down over time so you would have to replace them, not to mention the pain you would have to go threw to get them put in, and i don't know about you, but i have looked into all available methods and when people choose them, and get dentures, implants or veneers i can always tell they are fake, so in my opinion it would be much greater to be able to regrow your real teeth!

well i beleife some of us can..those of us thaet it is in our nature or sense of course. you see, nothing is impossible for me though i can not say the same for you nor any other. thaet all depends on yor own . if you can grasp the notion of how eferythig is vibration and light, im sure you will find away for yourself..

sometimes you just have to go against hwat you have been taught or told. sometimes you just have qestion hwere the notions in your head are comming from, and who put them thaer and why

Some people of certain descent can grow new enamel, but it is extremely rare and they do not grow new teeth, just put down enamel all the time. I think it is Inuits, maybe.

Some people of certain descent can grow new enamel, but it is extremely rare and they do not grow new teeth, just put down enamel all the time. I think it is Inuits, maybe.

alright then, thats what they need to study! cause they can grow a tooth back but they have trouble getting the outer layers to grow like the enamel, thanks for the input!

sometimes you just have to go against hwat you have been taught or told. sometimes you just have qestion hwere the notions in your head are comming from, and who put them thaer and why

yep i agree, and to me i know there has to be a way to regrow our teeth, i mean why not? professionals say it can't be done, and have been saying it for years, and now this new research comes out proving that it can be done it just needs more research, i have always been one to question, and i always thought this was possible so thats why i ended up searching it, the problem is there isn't a whole lot of information about it, and thats why i wish people would tell me how they think it could be done, like if they were to do it themselves or attempt to, what methods would they use to regrow teeth? i think if enough people start thinking about it, someone will come up with a way.

Hi Mike

Yes people can get an extra tooth after losing an adult one but its rare and usually the teeth dont come through normally though. In dentistry there are very rare cases in which they have come through normal and the person has an entire set of them.

Its like cutting your finger off. Sometimes (although very rare) the person will fully regrow it.

The teeth usually arent normal because evolution doesnt have much influence once you've had kids so their has been no selective process applied to them as regards passing yourself on.

Hi Mike

Yes people can get an extra tooth after losing an adult one but its rare and usually the teeth dont come through normally though. In dentistry there are very rare cases in which they have come through normal and the person has an entire set of them.

Its like cutting your finger off. Sometimes (although very rare) the person will fully regrow it.

The teeth usually arent normal because evolution doesnt have much influence once you've had kids so their has been no selective process applied to them as regards passing yourself on.

thanks for the info psychedelic! yeah i've heard about that, but if it can happen in rare cases then that means that adult teeth can be regrown its just a matter of how! any suggestions?

people who can "regrow" their adult teeth usually have what is called supernumary teeth. meaning they were born with extra teeth. im not sure you can wish yourself a new one. hehe. implants are probably the best way to go if you are healthy and dont smoke. the implant itself is placed into the bone (jaw) and it will grow around it making it quite secure. the part that might break down is the cap or crown that is placed on the implant. they look natural and can be matched to your other teeth color. aqnyways...i work at a dental office and this is all just everyday stuff to me. :yes:

I've said for years that gene therapy will one day allow us to regrow teeth. It is just a matter of time. I'm not going to hold my breath... or stop going to the dentist though. It could still be decades.

I have an implant and it works great. Cost quite a lot, but much better then a bridge or some kind of denture.

This is the first time I've heard of the sonic tooth growing device.

ok, so i know what every dentist is gonna say, no its impossible, you get one set of adult teeth and thats it! but why is it impossible?

As you start life out (developmentally) you have what is called an enamel organ. Which is formed by a couple cell types; one being ameloblasts. As the tooth grows and eventually erupts from the gum, it tears through the enamel organ, destroying it.

Without the enamel and dentin matrix you cannot grow new teeth as adults. In some other animals, this processes gets conserved into adult hood--In the lineage that spawned us, and the rest of mammals this was lost. The mammals were rather short lived and so it was a better evolutionary trade off, to allow the cells that form the enamel organ to die out than use resources to maintain them throughout life.

many ideas were once thought to be impossible and later proved to be true. i for one believe it can be done, and i have read things online of people saying how they regrew their teeth, or when their adult tooth fell out, a new adult tooth started to grow in its place, etc. i have also read articles about people supposedly regrowing their teeth by changing the type of food they eat to a far more nutritious diet. so do you think its possible to regrow human teeth through nutrition or any other means?

No, nutrition has nothing to do with it. It will likely be possible, sometime in the future, to use bioengineering to harvest stem cells and force them to differentiate into cells that give rise to an enamel organ in vitro, and then transplant the organ into the maxilla.

look at beavers their teeth regrow their entire life, and i've read about skeletons being found with a second set of adult teeth below the original, but the thing that p***es me off the most about this subject is the lack of information on it, so if you were to attempt to regrow your tooth, or repair an existing one, what would you need to know? and what methods do you think could work?

Continuous tooth deposition is different than regrowing a lost tooth. Continuous growth happens at the level of the root, where a few ameloblasts are maintained to deposit enamel. The majority of continuous growth work is done by odontoblasts, which deposit dentin matrix.

i don't know much about genetics or dna or even to much about what teeth are composed of, but what i've read about it, teeth are similar but not the same as bone, and your body can regrow bone, and considering we are made of materials readily found on this planet, i just don't see why it can't be done, if we are made up of certain minerals, vitamins, and other materials that are all found on earth, why can't we use them to repair our bodies?

Tooth and bone deposition don't work the same. Bones are continuously deposited and reabsorbed through a restructuring process. This is mediated by special cell types called osteoclasts (a kin to macrophages) and osteoblasts. Unfortunately, we don't have an equivalent cell type for restructuring our teeth. As teeth are deposited they are crystalized with a mineral called hydroxyapatite (similar to bone, but only in much greater amounts). This hard mineralization makes teeth very durable and "long lived".

From an evolutionary standpoint, we are the sum of our selective pressures. Since most teeth will outlast the reproductive age of the organism (at least for hominids and other mammals) then there is little chance that evolution could favor a system to replace and regrow teeth in humans.

sorry i know its a lot of questions but i am really interested about this topic and would like to know more, if you have any information on it please let me know, and i don't wanna sound rude but i would like a answer explaining your position on the matter instead of what you have just heard about it or what your opinion on it is, if you say its impossible explain why that is so, if you say it is possible please also explain why, thanks.

If you want I could recommend some reading for you.

people who can "regrow" their adult teeth usually have what is called supernumary teeth. meaning they were born with extra teeth. im not sure you can wish yourself a new one. hehe. implants are probably the best way to go if you are healthy and dont smoke. the implant itself is placed into the bone (jaw) and it will grow around it making it quite secure. the part that might break down is the cap or crown that is placed on the implant. they look natural and can be matched to your other teeth color. aqnyways...i work at a dental office and this is all just everyday stuff to me. :yes:

supernumary teeth? ok, well do you know if anybody has studied people with this condition? maybe they can find the gene responsible?

i wish i could wish my teeth back LOL <_< yeah i guess implants seem like the best option but i haven't actually lost any of my teeth except i got 1 wisdom tooth taken out, and was supposed to get the others removed but i got dropped from insurance! my main problem is when i was a kid, i hated brushing my teeth, and my mom tried to get me to, but over time i think she just gave up, then fast forward to age 13, i was depressed, and ate alot and drank a 12 pack of mountain dew a day, and it wore away my enamel eventually chipping my front tooth and then two others, but i feel like they are getting worse everyday, and at this point veneers looks like my only option. ok well thanks for the info.

I've said for years that gene therapy will one day allow us to regrow teeth. It is just a matter of time. I'm not going to hold my breath... or stop going to the dentist though. It could still be decades.

gene therapy huh? i guess i'm gonna have to look into that, never heard of it till now, thanks.

its too bad the military doesn't need soldiers with strong new teeth, cause if that were the case, i'm sure this would have been figured out by now, i think the reason it may be taking so long is a lack of funding for the people studying it.

I have an implant and it works great. Cost quite a lot, but much better then a bridge or some kind of denture.

This is the first time I've heard of the sonic tooth growing device.

yeah i heard about it a while ago, and if my memory serves i think they said they could use it to regrow the dentin and everything else, but they couldn't figure out how to grow the enamel back yet, but i think this article could hold the key.

My link

• The topic was locked