Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hallmark removes the word 'gay'

Still Waters

Hallmark has provoked outrage and ridicule from its customers after changing the words of a traditional Christmal carol on a festive ornament.

The gaudy, red sweater ornament has dropped the word 'gay' for the word 'fun' in the lyric from the 19th-century carol Deck The Halls.

The original line - 'Don we now our gay apparel' - has been altered by the Kansas-City based company for its new line of holiday merchandise. It now reads: 'Don we now our FUN apparel.'

http://www.dailymail...decoration.html

Well that's just fun.

• Like 2

I remember at school many many years ago, in one of the history books it had the word ****** and when read out aloud it caused much snicking. The history teacher then went on a rant about homosexuals had 'stolen' the words gay and ****** for themselves and brought the words into disrepute.

• Like 1

I wonder if computer companies will edit the line that follows it......... "Troll the ancient Christmas carol......"

(Just a thought!)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

I guess history books will have to change from saying "The Gay 90's", when refering to the 1890's...

• Like 1

Another thought....Can every one of these dancers be called Gordon?........

[media=]

[/media]

(Ealdwita snippet for non-UK residents....Yes, the 'Gay Gordons' really is a genuine Scottish country dance dating from the late 19th.Cent. When 'gay' meant what it's supposed to mean......from Old English 'gál'....light, pleasant, proud.)

• Like 1

Another thought....Can every one of these dancers be called Gordon?........

[media=]

[/media]

(Ealdwita snippet for non-UK residents....Yes, the 'Gay Gordons' really is a genuine Scottish country dance dating from the late 19th.Cent. When 'gay' meant what it's supposed to mean......from Old English 'gál'....light, pleasant, proud.)

Maybe from now on they should be known as The Good Time Gordon's?

Although that may bring a whole new set of problems for them.

• Like 1

BTW, if there's anyone who thinks that dance looks a bit effeminate....I challenge you to dance a whole 'set'!

• Like 1

BTW, if there's anyone who thinks that dance looks a bit effeminate....I challenge you to dance a whole 'set'!

I've met dancers of this type. No one would ever call somebody with legs like that effeminate.

• Like 2

This is outrageous. Plus, lets be honest, that ornament is pretty darned gay.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1