Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horror Movies, Do You Like Them?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I love that theme song!!
I love horror movies and its not so much about the core but the psychological things it can do with your mind, where after the movies over your still thinking about it.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,324 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

WHAT! No fans of the Evil Dead Trilogy.

Ash: "Give me some sugar baby." "This, you primitive screwheads, is my Boomstick!", "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 January 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Ash: "Give me some sugar baby." "This, you primitive screwheads, is my Boomstick!", "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."
So that's where Scott Brown got the inspiration for his gabba tune.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#19    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 09 January 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Silent Hill (First time i saw it, was  pretty trippy)

Yeah, Pyramid Head was one freaky-looking MF.
I wouldn't wanna meet him in a dark nightmare some night.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#20    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 January 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I think they are excellent films though but they haven't aged well. They're IMO likened to a great kneeslapper of a joke told too many times. The first two movies may or may not make my top 50. IDK.

But I can respect those people that place them in their top 5 or top 10. I once loved them that much back when these movies were relatively new but not so much these days.

In other words, I am big fan but there is alot of horror movies I like more.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,324 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

They are cheesy, but very good entertainment...

There is supposed to be an new Evil Dead movie coming out, but I don't think Bruce Campbell is in it.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/

Looks like Bruce is a Producer on this one. The woods look the same at least, and the trapdoor + book + cabin.

Edited by DieChecker, 10 January 2013 - 02:49 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 January 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

They are cheesy, but very good entertainment...

There is supposed to be an new Evil Dead movie coming out, but I don't think Bruce Campbell is in it.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/

Looks like Bruce is a Producer on this one. The woods look the same at least, and the trapdoor + book + cabin.

Bruce Campbell did a wonderful stand-up job through the sheer comic and physical demands of this role.

But no Bruce isn't in the remake. He is too old to be cast in one of the main roles now.

Actually I would have preferred a third sequel with Bruce Campbell rather than a straight out remake personally.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Elljay have you seen the newest silent hill yet?

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 11 January 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Elljay have you seen the newest silent hill yet?

No I haven't. Is it any good?

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostEllJay, on 11 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

No I haven't. Is it any good?
I actually havent seen it either sorry

#26    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Occassionally I may contribute some Turner Classic Movies horror programming like here:

Tomorrow Friday January 18th, TCM Underground will be featuring:

The Baby (1973) @ 11:00PM
The Bad Seed (1956) @ 12:30AM

The Baby is one of those little creepy b-movies that shouldnt be missed.

Wednesday January 23

The Sadist (1963) @ 4:30AM
The Terror (1963) @ 6:15AM
The Reptile (1966) @ 7:45AM
The Nanny (1965) @ 9:30AM
The Mummy (1959) @ 11:15AM
The Body Snatcher (1945) @ 1:15PM
The Haunting (1963) @ 3:00PM

What a nice line-up, three Hammer films, 2 Robert Wise horrors, 1  Roger Corman, and 1 Arch Hall Jr role that horror/thriller fans shouldnt miss. My two favorite Val Lewton produced films are Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) and The Body Snatcher (Robert Wise). Cabman Gray is one of Boris Karloff's finest wickedest horror roles. In fact, my two favorite Val Lewton directors are Jacques Tourneur and Robert Wise whom went on to offer us Night Of The Demon and The Haunting.

All times are Pacific. Check local listings.

Edited by B Jenkins, 18 January 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#27    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

I may see if I can get these or not.  If not, there is always NetFlix or finding DVDs.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#28    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostInsanity, on 18 January 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

I may see if I can get these or not.  If not, there is always NetFlix or finding DVDs.

Hmm, where do I begin, there are some really awesome classic horror films that put todays to absolutely shame. You may have seen some of these but here goes it.

Boris Karloff's finest horror roles are his monster role form the Frankenstein trilogy (Bride of, Son of).

Hjalmar Poelzig from The Black Cat (1934), where Karloff is a war veteran Satanist who keeps his dead girlfriends preserved in glass (a suggestive subtext of necrophilia) and the film also features one of Bela Lugosi's best roles as Dr. Vitus Werdegast, another bent war veteran character who's petrified of cats and a sworn enemy of Poelzig.

Cabman John Gray from The Body Snatcher (1945), Karloff portrays quite delightfully a Burke and Hare -type villainy.

Other classics were checking into:

Island Of Lost Souls (1932), Charles Laughton is a hoot as Moreau who among other thing attempts to breed his panther woman with a human castaway. The best and most bent film adaptation of H.G. Wells' Island Of Dr Moreau.  

Mad Love (1935), Peter Lorre is a fiendish stalker that even keeps a life-size wax work of his subject.

Cat People (1942), an ancient village curse brought on by Satanists manifests itself in contemporary times with tragic results. The final twenty minutes of the film represent some of the finest suspense-filled horror I have ever seen.

Peeping Tom (1960), a serial killer who records his victim's fear with a camera while he kills them. This film was too ahead of its time for its subjective cinematography and tragic portrayal of a serial killer's childhood. It was largely panned by the critics of its day and ruined director Michael Powell's career forever. Now recognized as a genre landmark film.

If you want more just let me know.

#29    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,670 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

While there are many films listed in this thread that I enjoy... as a rule I do not care for horror movies as such... they just don't frighten me... at best they "startle me" ...

But I do feel that horror that appens just off camera - out of the audiences view - is much more terrifying/suspenceful than just putting it in your face...

#30    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,390 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

No one's mentioned Friday The 13TH?!
Now, it's gone on forever, and I haven't see those beyond the third one (in 3-d!), but I think the first two had pretty good stories.
Also, I think it's one of the best titles, and it has a really good score.
For me, it's the one that can still come to mind whenever I'm out in the woods...not necessarily there camping, but just there in the woods!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users