Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK housewife 'raised by monkeys in jungle'

Still Waters

The story of a Yorkshire housewife who spent five years in her childhood living with a colony of capuchin monkeys in Colombia is to be told for the first time in a book and planned television documentary.

Marina Chapman learnt to catch birds and rabbits with her bare hands after being abandoned in the jungle by kidnappers, it was reported.

http://www.telegraph...-in-jungle.html

• Like 1

Am I lazy if I wait for the TV documentary rather than rushing out to buy her book?

• Like 1

Lucky to have survied in the jungle as a child. I am glad that she is ok now

• Like 2

Well, if nothing else she has a fertile phantasy.

Mrs Chapman, who trained as a cook,...

I bet she makes one hell of a good banana bread. :whistle:

• Like 2

How could she keep up with the capuchin monkeys ? They jump from tree to tree and so forth. They certainly could not offer her protection from wild animals.

If it was some type of ape I could see it.

She was probably friendly with the Capuchins and shared food with them.

Edited by mfrmboy
  • Like 1

That's horrible. She could have only been pre teen when she was groomed for prostitution.

Horrid.

I don't think I could stand to read that.

• Like 1

So she had a tough life . There were 26 of us kids living in a paper-bag at the bottom of a cess-pit . When we got in from school our father beat us with a broken bottle until we fell asleep happy & contented . I`m going to write a book about it when I retire . The money will come in handy .

• Like 4

Catching rabbits with her bare hands?

That's gotta take some great speed and reflexes.

• Like 1

So she had a tough life . There were 26 of us kids living in a paper-bag at the bottom of a cess-pit . When we got in from school our father beat us with a broken bottle until we fell asleep happy & contented . I`m going to write a book about it when I retire . The money will come in handy .

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

• Like 2

She probably stuck with the monkeys for companionship and learned to hunt from watching them. I don't know if I could of done it. Catch animals and eat them raw.

maybe the journalists have exaggerated the Tarzan years,i won't be reading her book to find out but if any one else does let me know if she really did live with monkeys because when i was in the Amazon no capuchin monkeys mentioned it to me and i think thats something they would view as worth talking about.

• Like 1

coldethyl you must have heard it too..........

Ashven , You could have instigated a conversation you know , something like " `Get many Bradford women round here ? "

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!.
  • Like 2

Those 4 Yorkshiremen will haunt me for the rest of my life.................

• Like 2

Those 4 Yorkshiremen will haunt me for the rest of my life.................

Its still one of my favorite Monty Python skits.
  • Like 1

The story of a Yorkshire housewife who spent five years in her childhood living with a colony of capuchin monkeys in Colombia is to be told for the first time in a book and planned television documentary.

Marina Chapman learnt to catch birds and rabbits with her bare hands after being abandoned in the jungle by kidnappers, it was reported.

http://www.telegraph...-in-jungle.html

Come on people, this is just a hoax based on wordplay:

It's not capuchin monkeys, but Capuchin monks:

http://en.wikipedia...._Minor_Capuchin

+++

EDIT:

In 1916 the Arhuacos asked the government of Colombia for teachers to learn to read and write and also learn about mathematics, but instead the government sent Capuchin Friars. The Friars prohibited the children from learning about their culture, established a "regime of terror" and put them aside in an orphanage. They also established forced labor, ignoring the Arhuacos' plea to leave them alone.

(...)

On August 7, 1982 they rebelled against the Capuchins and took over the mission's buildings. The Capuchins finally left in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arhuaco_people

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

First it was monkeys . Now it`s Monks . I thought it was coffee . Correct me if I`m wrong .

Come on people, this is just a hoax based on wordplay:

It's not capuchin monkeys, but Capuchin monks:

Hmm interesting but maybe some of the monks might of been a bit cro-magnonish and this inspired the head lines. :yes:

luxury...

• Like 2