Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The slenderman myth

Tarnibritan

Ok here goes, this is most likely a silly made up myth but I saw it on facebook today and there are actuel websites and photoes (majority are most likely fake) of what is known as the slenderman (also has many other names). He is a tall thin man usually with hollow eyes and wears a suit with a tie. From what i can grasp he stalks people years at a time and seems to just terrorise them or possess them. I could not find another thread on UM on this and would like to know if anyone else believes in this or even has additional knowledge. As you can probably tell i dont truly believe in it but im very much interested in the myth and its origins. I read that apparently the most recent sighting of a slenderman was in NSW Australia?? Anyone have thoughts on this? It sounds like something made up for the tv show supernatural but you never know.

Tarni

I think it's an internet myth where people post an image of anything and post a man in a dark suit. It's kinda like where's wally? but more darker and more fun. Some people say there is a story behind it but im not sure.

Oh here is a long slender man thread.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157598

• Like 5

Ok here goes, this is most likely a silly made up myth but I saw it on facebook today and there are actuel websites and photoes (majority are most likely fake) of what is known as the slenderman (also has many other names). He is a tall thin man usually with hollow eyes and wears a suit with a tie. From what i can grasp he stalks people years at a time and seems to just terrorise them or possess them. I could not find another thread on UM on this and would like to know if anyone else believes in this or even has additional knowledge. As you can probably tell i dont truly believe in it but im very much interested in the myth and its origins. I read that apparently the most recent sighting of a slenderman was in NSW Australia?? Anyone have thoughts on this? It sounds like something made up for the tv show supernatural but you never know.

Tarni

It was made up on the SomethingAwful boards.

Origin

On June 8th, 2009, a “’paranormal pictures” photoshop contest was launched on the Something Awful (SA) Forums.[1] The contest required participants to turn ordinary photographs into creepy-looking images through digital manipulation and then pass them on as authentic photographs on a number of paranormal forums. Something Awful users soon began sharing their faux-paranormal creations with layered images of ghosts and other anomalies, usually accompanied by a fabricated witness account to make them more convincing. On June 10th, SA user Victor Surge posted two black and white photographs of unnamed children with a short description of “Slender Man” as a mysterious creature who stalked children

Nibs

• Like 4

There is all kinds of misinformation on the internet.

As was shown above, it was an internet contest.

But thanks to the nature of the internet, that part gets forgotten and, voila, a new myth is born. Then of course there are the nut jobs who contend that the contest was simply a cover to continue hiding the existence of Slender Man - you know, the gummit and all.

• Like 4

Its a cool myth though :tu:

• Like 2

Can't tell you how many people I know that claim that they've actually seen Slenderman and say that he's real.

Don't get me wrong. It's a cool story. But that's all it is.

Too bad Slenderman was ruined for me when people started fangirling over him.

• Like 1

Just when you think its just a game with name of slenderman and that is all made up...You find out it sort of is...wacky.

It is just a game.

My son was exposed to the Slenderman Myth at school, had the poor little tyke terrified for a few nights. When I got it out of him, we sat down at the computer and traced the legend to it's roots. And as mentioned above, it is completely made up, and the competition it won had a stipulation that the character was supposed to fool people into thinking it was real at the something awful forums. Not even original, based on another character, from memory I think he was called tall man.

He was OK after half a day if research, but it really gives the little ones a fright. The forum entry is now the official claim to go with the character.

• Like 2

Can't tell you how many people I know that claim that they've actually seen Slenderman and say that he's real.

Don't get me wrong. It's a cool story. But that's all it is.

Too bad Slenderman was ruined for me when people started fangirling over him.

It just goes to show how powerful suggestion can be. You make up a good story, it goes swirling roundabout the interweb and pretty soon people are filing in to "report" having seen something which was fictitious to begin with. Which is precisely why eyewitness testimony is just about as reliable as using vegetable oil instead of motor oil. I'll wager that some of those folks who saw slenderman are every bit as convinced that slenderman is what they saw as any BFRO member out futzing around with Matt Moneytaker.

Once again, proof positive that seeing isn't believing. Its the other way around with the paranormal. If you BELIEVE - you will SEE. (whether its really there or not) :tu:

• Like 2

to all you who say beliveing is seeing you are wrong ive seen him since 2009 and i didnt even know about back then so yeah that prove you wrong and back then no one in my family used the internet so ive seen him 13 in total since 2009 so dont discredit each story you hear because mine ie real

It just goes to show how powerful suggestion can be. You make up a good story, it goes swirling roundabout the interweb and pretty soon people are filing in to "report" having seen something which was fictitious to begin with. Which is precisely why eyewitness testimony is just about as reliable as using vegetable oil instead of motor oil. I'll wager that some of those folks who saw slenderman are every bit as convinced that slenderman is what they saw as any BFRO member out futzing around with Matt Moneytaker.

Once again, proof positive that seeing isn't believing. Its the other way around with the paranormal. If you BELIEVE - you will SEE. (whether its really there or not) :tu:

It is just a game.

My son was exposed to the Slenderman Myth at school, had the poor little tyke terrified for a few nights. When I got it out of him, we sat down at the computer and traced the legend to it's roots. And as mentioned above, it is completely made up, and the competition it won had a stipulation that the character was supposed to fool people into thinking it was real at the something awful forums. Not even original, based on another character, from memory I think he was called tall man.

He was OK after half a day if research, but it really gives the little ones a fright. The forum entry is now the official claim to go with the character.

Just when you think its just a game with name of slenderman and that is all made up...You find out it sort of is...wacky.

Tarni

come on ive seen him 13 times since 2009 beliveing is not seeing i didnt know about him back then and i still saw him its not my imagination and no one in my used the internet so i prove all of you wrong dont just knock off stories of people who actually might need help like me. my story is real.

come on ive seen him 13 times since 2009 beliveing is not seeing i didnt know about him back then and i still saw him its not my imagination and no one in my used the internet so i prove all of you wrong dont just knock off stories of people who actually might need help like me. my story is real.

How exactly does he appear to you, are you scared of him or intrigued? What were the circumstances in which you saw him?

• Like 1

to all you who say beliveing is seeing you are wrong ive seen him since 2009 and i didnt even know about back then so yeah that prove you wrong and back then no one in my family used the internet so ive seen him 13 in total since 2009 so dont discredit each story you hear because mine ie real

I hope you're joking.

I really do.

• Like 1

You have seen Slenderman 13 times? Is there any way that you can substantiate the sightings? After all, this is the internet - anybody can say anything, making everything ANYONE says suspect.

You can say its not imagination - however until you can back it up with some sort of proof - your words are just words. I mean no offense in saying that. You have got to realize that saying you saw a thing proves absolutely nothing.

If what you are seeing is causing you distress and making you feel as though you need help, I'm quite sorry to hear that. I'm sure that it seems very real to you.

So if I may inquire - before you had your 13 encounters with this Slenderman character - you had never read about, heard about, or seen anything at all related to the paranormal that would have shaped some sort of belief in your mind? You didn't believe in spirits, ghosts, demons, monsters, ghouls, djinns....etc?

Then how is it you.... are still alive. Slenderman does not leave people that see it alive.... for long...

Slenderman is made up. Just as I can make up, "The Nose-Whistling Slasher", or "The Three Eyed Man of Ash Street".

I hope you're joking.

I really do.

How exactly does he appear to you, are you scared of him or intrigued? What were the circumstances in which you saw him?

Next time, please take a picture. Or even better, a video.

You have seen Slenderman 13 times? Is there any way that you can substantiate the sightings? After all, this is the internet - anybody can say anything, making everything ANYONE says suspect.

You can say its not imagination - however until you can back it up with some sort of proof - your words are just words. I mean no offense in saying that. You have got to realize that saying you saw a thing proves absolutely nothing.

If what you are seeing is causing you distress and making you feel as though you need help, I'm quite sorry to hear that. I'm sure that it seems very real to you.

So if I may inquire - before you had your 13 encounters with this Slenderman character - you had never read about, heard about, or seen anything at all related to the paranormal that would have shaped some sort of belief in your mind? You didn't believe in spirits, ghosts, demons, monsters, ghouls, djinns....etc?

Then how is it you.... are still alive. Slenderman does not leave people that see it alive.... for long...

Slenderman is made up. Just as I can make up, "The Nose-Whistling Slasher", or "The Three Eyed Man of Ash Street".

ok i cant take a picture because he messes up my technology i took a pic of him but he fried the sd card and i took a pic with a film camera but it didnt come out right so i cant post evidence. im not trolling or makeing this up and as for diechecker i've been avoiding him trying anything get rid of him but i cant and to add to it im getting sick like i have cough,fautige,dizzyness,memory lossand i start bleeding randomly. The house bless might be holding him off but maybe not for long. I'm in stress but only for school reasonsso it cant be that remeber beliveing is not seeing and seeing is not always beliveing.

ok i cant take a picture because he messes up my technology i took a pic of him but he fried the sd card and i took a pic with a film camera but it didnt come out right so i cant post evidence. im not trolling or makeing this up and as for diechecker i've been avoiding him trying anything get rid of him but i cant and to add to it im getting sick like i have cough,fautige,dizzyness,memory lossand i start bleeding randomly. The house bless might be holding him off but maybe not for long. I'm in stress but only for school reasonsso it cant be that remeber beliveing is not seeing and seeing is not always beliveing.

post-124811-0-68916400-1352671924_thumb.

• Like 4

It's only a matter of time then. The walls of your house can't stop him. Public places won't stop him. He's going to flay your skin and wear it to bed at night to keep him warm.

Quite possibly you'll never get to 10 posts here....

• Like 5

Slenderman is an interesting story. Unfortunately, if you were telling the truth you'd be dead. Very, very dead.

Slender Man was once my favourite mythical being.

Now though, the vast majority of the internet have butchered it and it's become a laugh.

I have to read up on him again

Several of the Slenderman videos that I've seen are super creepy though!!

I'm not sure exactly what he is. But he could just be another boogey man story.

Like the Wailer ghost etc. I guess the only way to know if any of these ghost stories are true.

Are to go at 3 am to the locations they are said to haunt and see it for yourself.

Slenderman could be a moster or bad spirit..

or maybe people just manifested him with their own minds...

An interesting subject no matter what