Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Testosterone Increases Honesty

testosterone honesty

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Testosterone also fosters social behavior

Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that this sex hormone surprisingly also fosters social behavior. Subjects who had received testosterone clearly lied less frequently than individuals who had only received a placebo.
Read more


#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plato's Cave

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

not a afraid to tell the truth with big muscles

`And be true to every promise - for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made.
al-isra 17:34

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 9,247 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

The more testosterone you have the more honest you are about about your actual size?

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado, 11 October 2012 - 01:43 PM.


#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    spark

  • Member
  • 8,102 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Dodgy science at it's worst! So .......... as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour? How can they possibly quantify such a thing? :wacko: The 'honesty' test they gave the men involved them sitting alone in booths, betting against others in a similar situation ........ how unnatural and far-removed from reality is that?!!

"End the struggle and DANCE with Life!"

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,208 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

:blinks:: testosterone....the stuff men.....have a huge abundance of ...that testosterone ?  

Honesty ......???

*falls on the floor laughing*



All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!


#6    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm not sure how many posters ridiculing the OP article noticed one specific word:


Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that this sex hormone surprisingly also fosters social behavior.


Just one word can "also" provide a whole lot of difference in understanding a point in an article. :tu:
Karlis

Edited by Karlis, 11 October 2012 - 02:15 PM.


#7    Neognosis

Neognosis

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,037 posts
  • Joined:12 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:rochester, NY USA

  • Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Quote

as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour?


Seems to agree with my personal experience...
HAHAHAHA!!!


#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 9,247 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostKarlis, on 11 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm not sure how many posters ridiculing the OP article noticed one specific word:




Researchers working with Dr. Armin Falk, an economist from the University of Bonn, have now demonstrated that this sex hormone surprisingly also fosters social behavior.


Just one word can "also" provide a whole lot of difference in understanding a point in an article. :tu:
Karlis

Joking does not equal ridicule.  Personally, I was having a laugh about the title of the thread.  If the title had been, Testosterone Fosters Social Behaviour I'd merely have read the linked article and "liked" the OP.

Should I refrain from joking on UM?

Edited by Eldorado, 11 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.


#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,208 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have to wonder,if a woman headed up the research ,the results would have been the same.
In my experience, men lie about the most extraordinary things ,and repeatedly .

Why the two presidential candidates are men , and gosh ,I just don't find either very honest .
It's laughable,because its so preposterous in its conclusions.

Most everyone lies,and men lie a whhhoollle lot more than women . So....its just not plausible ,to me ,.

Call em like I see em

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!


#10    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,313 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 11 October 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

I have to wonder,if a woman headed up the research ,the results would have been the same.
In my experience, men lie about the most extraordinary things ,and repeatedly .

Why the two presidential candidates are men , and gosh ,I just don't find either very honest .
It's laughable,because its so preposterous in its conclusions.

Most everyone lies,and men lie a whhhoollle lot more than women . So....its just not plausible ,to me ,.

Call em like I see em
Simbi, get a girlfriend and see how that compares with all of your former boyfriends and get back to me.


#11    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostEldorado, on 11 October 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Joking does not equal ridicule.  Personally, I was having a laugh about the title of the thread.  If the title had been, Testosterone Fosters Social Behaviour I'd merely have read the linked article and "liked" the OP.

Should I refrain from joking on UM?
Hi and G'day Eldorado,

If joking was prohibited on UM, how long do you think this forum would last?

Edited to add: Since you did not click on "like", do you mean you did not like my OP post?  :cry:

Edited by Karlis, 11 October 2012 - 02:49 PM.


#12    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Dodgy science at it's worst! So .......... as women have less testosterone, this would mean that they lie more and are not so dedicated to good social behaviour?

No, that is an incorrect conclusion.
If they would've included women in the study maybe the results would've been different. And also there has not been an experiment that tests correlation between estrogen and honesty.
So your suggestive question is not valid.


#13    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    spark

  • Member
  • 8,102 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 11 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Seems to agree with my personal experience...
HAHAHAHA!!!

Testosterone also makes men more predictable than women :lol:

"End the struggle and DANCE with Life!"

#14    Neognosis

Neognosis

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,037 posts
  • Joined:12 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:rochester, NY USA

  • Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Quote

Most everyone lies,and men lie a whhhoollle lot more than women . So....its just not plausible ,to me ,.

I disagree. I think women have evolved more to survive by being manipulative, while men have evolved to survive by being more aggressive and direct.

Quote

Testosterone also makes men more predictable than women

I agree, and I think your statement relates to what I said above.


#15    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 11 October 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

I disagree. I think women have evolved more to survive by being manipulative, while men have evolved to survive by being more aggressive and direct.


Yes, this could very well be the case.
You know what they say "Behind every man there is a great woman".

The BBC is taping a new series called The White Queen. It's about the the women through history who manipulated their way to power, behind the scenes.
I think it is true that women have been evolutionarily forced to become more manipulative instead of explicitly agressive. It makes sense since women have been oppressed in so many ways during all these years.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users