Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Israel a no-show at U.N. human rights review

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postand then, on 06 February 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

To say that "the people" do not support what their democratically elected government does is just a cop out - no matter who uses it.  Of course there is never perfect agreement between every constituency in a democracy but that does not absolve those groups from a responsibility for what their government does.  Enough people voted for Obama in November to shape the policies and directions of our country for 4 more years even though about 48 % of Americans can't stand the man or his policies.  If he decided to unilaterally invade Iran or use a nuke on the DPRK then that 48% could hardly say - he's not MY president.
That's why we have the UN, so other countries can make sure others aren't electing mad men to their highest offices. But it's all mad men and women involved in politics.

True, it's a cop out, but I dislike being hated for being an American just because my country likes to shove it's greedy paws into everyone else's business, I'm sure a few Israeli's feel the same, as does any other group. Sad we can't discuss things at a council or anything.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#47    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostHasina, on 06 February 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

That's why we have the UN, so other countries can make sure others aren't electing mad men to their highest offices. But it's all mad men and women involved in politics.

True, it's a cop out, but I dislike being hated for being an American just because my country likes to shove it's greedy paws into everyone else's business, I'm sure a few Israeli's feel the same, as does any other group. Sad we can't discuss things at a council or anything.

That's why in reality we need to take our countries back from the governments so we can truly represent them.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#48    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,653 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postand then, on 06 February 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Noble ideas Yam - and that world sadly no longer exists.  Pointing to some exemplar of behavior that never really existed to the extent you envision leaves you unable to solve any real modern problems.  Those problems that you have accurately delineated (mostly) and called for action to solve.  But the world is awash in pesky human corruption, weakness and thuggery from ALL sides.  Acting as if they aren't a factor just because they "SHOULDN'T BE" is not constructive.
The exemplary behavior exists right now in the vast majority of countries in the world.  US foreign policy is far more unique than you seem to realize.  How do all these other countries who mind their own business even get to sleep at night with all that pettiness they're ignoring?   If my problem is Presidents who act like Kings taking this country to war without a declaration of war from Congress, then the solution is to stop doing that.  The problem isn't as big as the world, it's as small as a foreign policy.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#49    Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

What is wrong with Israel. They are always causing trouble. Then they complain how we don't support them enough. It's because they think they are separated from the world and they're not!

#50    farandaway

farandaway

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• I know the voices aren't real...but they have some pretty good ideas!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Who gives two shakes of a rat's tail what the U.N. wants?  The U.N. is and always has been a forum of foolishness.

A miserable mummery of greedy malcontents, huffing and puffing at the actions of dictators and despots.  A collosal waste of time, money and hot air.

And all dead years draw thither, and all disastrous things...  
The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

#51    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,802 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostOverpopulation, on 07 February 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

What is wrong with Israel. They are always causing trouble. Then they complain how we don't support them enough. It's because they think they are separated from the world and they're not!
You should listen to this - and some of the others like it on you tube.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#52    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,802 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostYamato, on 07 February 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

The exemplary behavior exists right now in the vast majority of countries in the world.  US foreign policy is far more unique than you seem to realize.  How do all these other countries who mind their own business even get to sleep at night with all that pettiness they're ignoring?   If my problem is Presidents who act like Kings taking this country to war without a declaration of war from Congress, then the solution is to stop doing that.  The problem isn't as big as the world, it's as small as a foreign policy.
You have my vote if you ever run for congress in my district.  I'm serious.  But I personally have given up hope of changing the PTB by anything but armed conflict and that's not very practical either.

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postand then, on 08 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

You have my vote if you ever run for congress in my district.  I'm serious.  But I personally have given up hope of changing the PTB by anything but armed conflict and that's not very practical either.
When I voted no on attacking Iran, you'd regret that vote.   But I'd do my best to keep us out of foreign/commercial/undeclared wars.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#54    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,802 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostYamato, on 08 February 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

When I voted no on attacking Iran, you'd regret that vote.   But I'd do my best to keep us out of foreign/commercial/undeclared wars.
Only a fool wants war.  I think Iran's nuke will lead to a war at some point but no one will attack them with military force before they have their weapon.

#55    Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

View Postand then, on 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

You should listen to this - and some of the others like it on you tube.

I don't like them not because they are Jewish. But like I said because they cause trouble.

#56    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,802 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostOverpopulation, on 24 February 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

I don't like them not because they are Jewish. But like I said because they cause trouble.
Then you are part of a large and ever increasing club.  I disagree that they cause trouble over or above what others in this world cause.  Welcome to UM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users