Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speaking unknown languages in my sleep

edweirdo

Recently my new partner said to me that i talk a lot in my sleep. She explained to me that it was not in English. I did not believe her, so she recorded me, at least three times per night i say sentences in different languages which i do not understand, which came as a massive shock. I have recorded five evenings of my sleep, hours and hours of snoring (to my shame) and now feel safe in saying that what you read above is true. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of anything similar???

Click "edweirdo" below to hear a recording

edweirdo

Edited by edweirdo

Recently my new partner said to me that i talk a lot in my sleep. She explained to me that it was not in English. I did not believe her, so she recorded me, at least three times per night i say sentences in different languages which i do not understand, which came as a massive shock. I have recorded five evenings of my sleep, hours and hours of snoring (to my shame) and now feel safe in saying that what you read above is true. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of anything similar???

edweirdo

Well I dont have speakers and I dont speak any other languages, so I probably wouldnt be much help you anyway...hope you get your answers.

Sounds middle eastern in origin. I speak arabic, greek, latin, and some hebrew. Doesn't sound like a romance language (greek/latin origin). Some of the pronuciations sound like hebrew or arabic, but aren't either. I'm guessing aramaic, but it's purely a guess as I speak very very little (like three phrases) of aramaic.

• Like 1

Eh...just sounds like your talking in your sleep. I know I scared a buddy of mine when I crashed at his house for the night. He said I kept a full conversation with myself in gibberish!!

Whatever it is, it is the same language my own husband has spoken in his sleep more than once. I never got it recorded though.

The first time he did it he yelled like a crazy person which woke me up and his excited babbling then caused me to quickly remove myself from the area to the next room.

Each time he seemed to be upset and speaking with someone he hated or feared.

His sons also heard him the last time he did it.

This is interesting to me that you do this also.

It's like you don't have full control or movement of your mouth/tounge as you are asleep but not deeply enough to prevent you from actually talking out loud. So comes out in a babble.

Edited by Anvil

I find talking in your sleep is better than grinding your teeth in your sleep. I had a friend that ground his teeth in his sleep when I crashed at his place, I could hear it clear across the room. It was one of those extreme cringe moments.

• Like 1

I have a very sweet, and "proper Englishman" stepfather, that my mom married when I was in my late 20's. He has talked in Russian, and other languages in his sleep, according to my mom. She found out that he has Russian family, as well as the English. He looked into it, and found out that there is something about us retaining "Cell Memories" from our ancestors. I am not completely sure what this means, but I guess we can have memories stored in our actual cells in our body, from the generations of family before us. We can have dreams and things that happen in with our subconsiousness because of it? Maybe someone else knows more about this?

I have a very sweet, and "proper Englishman" stepfather, that my mom married when I was in my late 20's. He has talked in Russian, and other languages in his sleep, according to my mom. She found out that he has Russian family, as well as the English. He looked into it, and found out that there is something about us retaining "Cell Memories" from our ancestors. I am not completely sure what this means, but I guess we can have memories stored in our actual cells in our body, from the generations of family before us. We can have dreams and things that happen in with our subconsiousness because of it? Maybe someone else knows more about this?

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I have read that there is ongoing scientific research into this.....a so-called "memory gene" that is passed on from generation to generation.

I have friends who speak in many "strange languages" while sleeping. One is a strange mix of German and, I swear it, Japanese.

In my own dreams, I only speak in French, which makes me wonder that if I were to speak in my sleep, if it would come out, also, in French.

It seems very possible.

Perhaps everyone should record themselves sleeping.

I have a strange ?, are you under alot of pressure lately?

life for me has on the whole been good, my ex partners mentioned me talking strange stuff in my sleep and i used to reply that i spoke spanish as a kid that it must be that... it seems what ever i'm saying i've been doing it for a long time :hmm:

Whatever it is, it is the same language my own husband has spoken in his sleep more than once. I never got it recorded though.

The first time he did it he yelled like a crazy person which woke me up and his excited babbling then caused me to quickly remove myself from the area to the next room.

Each time he seemed to be upset and speaking with someone he hated or feared.

His sons also heard him the last time he did it.

This is interesting to me that you do this also.

very cool! i dont feel quite so mutated now, phew. for a start we tried recording with a dicaphone but found a 20gig mp3 player was the "shizzle" it happly recorded the whole night and i used 'cool edit pro' to quickly sort through the um, snoring :) try it and be patient, you are bound to get some weird stuff to freak out your friends

phew! thanks carey, you really really must record yourself asap! i have been speaking like this for years and just ignored comments from past partners (i dont believe in this stuff, right?) but when i heard myself i got a real fright.. then different reactions from people listening to the recordings as well...i'm relieved to hear i'm not alone :)

Well I dont have speakers and I dont speak any other languages, so I probably wouldnt be much help you anyway...hope you get your answers.

thanks becca :blush: me too

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I have been married about a month and a half so far, and he's spoken once in another language too. At first I thought it must have been me dreaming or something, but after looking online, it seems pretty common in sleep talkers. So anyway, he speaks English, some Hebrew, some Spanish, and a *very* tiny bit of Japanese. I know English, some Hebrew, and some French. And it sounded rather like Hebrew intonations and stuff, but they were not actual Hebrew words. This went on for a good 3 sentences or so before I elbowed him and told him to stop. It seems like unknown middle eastern languages might be the most common other language spoken in peoples' sleep. Anyway, I tried to listen to your files but they don't work. Could you either upload them again or send them to snowleopard394@yahoo.com? I'm really curious to know whether it sounds like the two of you are speaking the same thing.

Another theory which thinks our DNA may carry some memories of our ancestors. Maybe that explains this?

Lmao. :lol:

hmm..I dont know if you believe in the spiritual realm or the unexplained, but my selfproclaimed aunt creeps everyone out at night. She has never taken any sort of language course and besides english only knows a few choice phrases in spanish. In her sleep she has spoken Hebrew, Samoan, Chamorro, French, Italian, most orient-based languages, plus multiple others that are undiscovered by me. She speaks these in almost perfect dialect with clear concise phrases. Now what you should know about (Aunt Paige we'll call her) Aunt Paige is she is very intuned with her spiritual self and is a very distinguished psychic /shaman..This has been proven tenfold to me and I trust her opinions beyond anything else..She says that the act of knowing languages and other useful bits of trivia that you could not possible know or conceive while sleeping is very common in people who leave themselves open to the spiritual and natural realms..Most of the time this is unknowing and innaccurate babble unless trained, but can sometimes be used to send messages to others and possibly give guidance to those who need it. Also, for those who believe in reincarnation, it can be clues to who you were and where you were from in the past..

Is it possible that maybe they're talking in what just sounds like other languages? I know half the time when someone's talking in their sleep it's hard to distinguish perfect English much less a language no one else speaks.

• Like 1

Files not found.

As far as I'm aware, I only speak english in my sleep. Sometimes I wonder if it's kind of like a radio, where we pick up what's out there, convert it/amplify it, and then use our speaker-mouths to "play" it.

edweirdo

This happened to me as well on several occasions. Sometimes I speak English or babble that my brother has noticed. I think maybe I had an active day and now speaking through my sleep.