Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctors baffled by 'resurrected' woman

UM-Bot

A woman who stopped breathing for over two hours suddenly woke up long after all hope had been lost.

Ruby Graupera-Cassimiro had undergone a successful C-section in a Florida hospital when she unexpectedly collapsed due to a rare complication known as an amniotic fluid embolism.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/274967/doctors-baffled-by-resurrected-woman

• Like 2

having read the OP's link to the original story, i'm going to take a wild stab here & say that the Guardian Liberty Voice is a christian newspaper.

undergoing 45mns of CPR isn't the same thing as 45mns without a pulse, without blood flowing around the body.

instead of them all hallelujaing god & his "work", they should've been congratulating the medical staff on a job well done.

although, the medical staff telling the family to 'keep praying' smells a little.... christian too.....

• Like 6

having read the OP's link to the original story, i'm going to take a wild stab here & say that the Guardian Liberty Voice is a christian newspaper.

undergoing 45mns of CPR isn't the same thing as 45mns without a pulse, without blood flowing around the body.

instead of them all hallelujaing god & his "work", they should've been congratulating the medical staff on a job well done.

although, the medical staff telling the family to 'keep praying' smells a little.... christian too.....

Im confused. I looked at the linked article too and it says without a pulse for 45 minutes. Are you suggesting that they just made up/misunderstood that part?

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Who exactly are these always "baffled" doctors and scientists? Seems that there is always a group of doctors and scientists that are baffled, "scratching their heads", stumped, etc.

Nibs

• Like 6

Who exactly are these always "baffled" doctors and scientists? Seems that there is always a group of doctors and scientists that are baffled, "scratching their heads", stumped, etc.

Nibs

To all those reporters that use the word "Baffled"...

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujVMIYzYXg[/media]

Well ... crap... can't find a playable clip of this...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Untreated eclampsia in pregnancy can lead to seizures and even coma. This may have been the case with Lavrinia Merli, a peasant girl living near Mantua in Italy, who was thought to have died from ‘hysterics’. She was interred in a vault in July1890. Although it is not clear why, the vault was opened two days later and it was found that the girl had regained consciousness, turned over in the coffin and given birth to a child. Both were dead.

The fear of premature burial persists today and is occasionally exploited by Hollywood in horror movies. Nor is it an entirely baseless fear. It is not even unknown for modern doctors to mistake unconsciousness for death.

For example, a Fijian-born soldier had a narrow escape in 2007 when he was blown up by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Despite medics’ best efforts to save him, he was pronounced dead.

It was only when his corpse was being washed before being put in a body bag that one of the medical team noticed a very weak pulse.

Diagnosed as being in a coma, he was flown to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham.

Eight days later he came round to find that both his legs had been amputated, but went on to represent Britain in the discus event at the 2012 Paralympics.

http://ynaija.com/buried-alive-chilling-stories-of-people-who-were-declared-dead-prematurely-videos/

More stories on the link, but i have put these two up because of the time difference, 1890 and 2007, mistakes can still happen today, and if religion is involved, well, anything can happen outside the World of rational and professional thinking.

• Like 5

That is one of the reasons for the tradition of a "wake"... To give the deceased more time to "wake up"...

Also, in the 1800's coffins and family crypts sometimes had a bell attached (by string) to the newly interred corpse, so that if it should move, the bell would ring

alerting people "up top" that they should maybe dig down and see what was going on... I don't recall ever hearing how it actually saved anyone... but the condition (and the fear)

were real...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Isn't a heat beat and a pulse inherently intertwined? That is, no heart beat, no pulse.

Doesn't a hospital heat monitor detect even the faintest of heart activity? (I don't know for sure)

Perhaps this is a miracle, or medical technology is somehow lacking.

Im confused. I looked at the linked article too and it says without a pulse for 45 minutes. Are you suggesting that they just made up/misunderstood that part?

no SM, what I was saying is that 45mns without a pulse, & 45mns undergoing CPR are two different things.

fair enough, her heart wasn't beating- hence no pulse- but while she was undergoing CPR, blood WAS flowing around her body.

the article is (purposely...?) misleading, it makes out like she was dead, for three quarters of an hour, and "miraculously" came back to life, with no intervention by anyone, 'cept god, instead of the fact that a team of medical professionals where doing their utmost to keep her alive.

I re-read the article, and the comments section is VERY telling.

the writer of the story is a massively commited christian, as were most of the respondants, which makes me wonder about journalistic impartiality in this case.....

• Like 4

Isn't a heat beat and a pulse inherently intertwined? That is, no heart beat, no pulse.

Doesn't a hospital heat monitor detect even the faintest of heart activity? (I don't know for sure)

He was probably declared dead by the combat medic that attended him on the scene... Very easy to miss a weak or sporadic pulse on the battlefield... (and portable heart monitors most likely are not in a combat medics kit bag)...

• Like 1

If they were trying to revive her using a defibrillator then her heart was still beating. It had most likely gone into ventricular fibrillation which is where the heart beat is irregular and chaotic. This is what happens during cardiac arrest. In that condition, a patient can be kept 'alive' by using CPR to get oxygen into, and circulated round, the body. A defibrillator can 'shock' the heart back into it's usual rhythm. When there is no activity whatsoever in the heart, the patient can't be revived.

What's remarkable here is the amount of time that elapsed before she was revived. But, as it says in the article, this is rare but not unheard of.

Not a miracle. Just decent medical care.

Edited by Arbenol
  • Like 4

Neither.

See above post. There will still be activity in the heart but it's not a pulse, and won't be detected as one. If you visualise one of those heart monitors where you can see a graphical depiction of heart activity, in a healthy person there will be regular peaks along the line. Like this:

md100a-prt-wave.jpg

This is what ventricular fibrillation looks like:

5.gif

Don't be fooled by hollywood movies. When the line is flat, the person is dead. And not coming back.

• Like 4

What's remarkable here is the amount of time that elapsed before she was revived. But, as it says in the article, this is rare but not unheard of.

Not a miracle. Just decent medical care.

nailed it.....

• Like 1

Untreated eclampsia in pregnancy can lead to seizures and even coma. This may have been the case with Lavrinia Merli, a peasant girl living near Mantua in Italy, who was thought to have died from ‘hysterics’. She was interred in a vault in July1890. Although it is not clear why, the vault was opened two days later and it was found that the girl had regained consciousness, turned over in the coffin and given birth to a child. Both were dead.

The fear of premature burial persists today and is occasionally exploited by Hollywood in horror movies. Nor is it an entirely baseless fear. It is not even unknown for modern doctors to mistake unconsciousness for death.

For example, a Fijian-born soldier had a narrow escape in 2007 when he was blown up by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Despite medics’ best efforts to save him, he was pronounced dead.

It was only when his corpse was being washed before being put in a body bag that one of the medical team noticed a very weak pulse.

Diagnosed as being in a coma, he was flown to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham.

Eight days later he came round to find that both his legs had been amputated, but went on to represent Britain in the discus event at the 2012 Paralympics.

http://ynaija.com/bu...aturely-videos/

More stories on the link, but i have put these two up because of the time difference, 1890 and 2007, mistakes can still happen today, and if religion is involved, well, anything can happen outside the World of rational and professional thinking.

Did they know she was pregnant before finding the baby ?

Baffled !

Baffled by life and baffled by death .

Just another wonderfully confusing piece of information that we cannot process because we don't know what is life and what is death !

We only have theories and even the theories are baffling !

• Like 1

Did they know she was pregnant before finding the baby ?

I would have said yes, as she gave birth to the child, which would indicate she was more than just a couple of months pregnant. But some of these stories I would take with a pinch of salt, the initial stories were very likely true, but then gets the added frills....much for extra gore and added interest effect. But sometimes the real truth behind some of the stories from the villages are even more terrifying than the myth.

• Like 5

Oh no, more fodder for those that think Jahi Mcmath will 'suddenly' come back to life all because god performed a miracle. lmao

The Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) algorithms for cardiac resuscitation are learned as a rote process and the process is one of continual recertification so that team members can interact synchronously in accord with current evidence-based research. The in-hospital (witnessed event) survival rates generally drop by about four percent per minute after the cardiac incident. Outcomes from cardiac arrests that result in discharge from hospital are around eighteen percent. After ten minutes survival rates are poor due to overall tissue deterioration caused by global ischemia. If I had witnessed spontaneous revival after forty or so minutes as part of the resuscitation team, I too would be calling it miraculous.

• 3 weeks later...

The main thing is that she lived regardless of the details.