Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

21/12

LucidElement

I know there has been muchhh on this topic. But, i would like to share something I read recently. The Mayans did not take into account daylight savings time. Therefore, if they did, and you believe the mayan calendar. World should have been in trouble 10 or so years ago.... thoughts????

I know there has been muchhh on this topic. But, i would like to share something I read recently. The Mayans did not take into account daylight savings time. Therefore, if they did, and you believe the mayan calendar. World should have been in trouble 10 or so years ago.... thoughts????

Wouldn't matter in either case since the Mayans never prophesied the end of the world. All they did was end a calendar.

cormac

• Like 6

Nah, I doubt the Mayan's would take Daylight Savings into account, the real question is, did the people who 'translate' the calendar take it into account?

Wouldn't matter in either case since the Mayans never prophesied the end of the world. All they did was end a calendar.

cormac

Not completely accurate.

They did predict a chnage in the sun at the end of this calender. But the next calander begins the day after, so we can assume if the prediction comes true it doesn't end us anyway. lol

So they did make a prediction of a huge chnage, just not the end of the world.

Have you got a reference for this?

The Mayan calendar was 365.2 days long per year. Which accounts for leap year which I think oyu are refering to. This is the day they refer to of that there is no doubt.

It was done by matching the Gregorian calendar to some Mayan manuscripts tucked away in Europe somewhere in which they copmpared the conquest by Cortez and used that as a reference to align the Gregorian calendar to the mayan calendar.

The Mayan calendar by defacto being several thousands older then the Gregorian would be the one that we have to adjust to. Daylight savings time aside the winter solstice is X time. The winter solstice occurs on the shortest day of the year and its zenith is when the sun crosses the constellation of Capricorn. So its a somewhat arbitrary moment and more an event.

Very interesting video, from what I could understand from his English lol. So, crazy Westerners making out worst case scenarios. Perhaps, only thing that changes is something in the sun.

I really liked how he put Westren culture in its place. More then once. First for destroying his culture then for being doomsayers.

We lost so much knowledge by destroying this civilization.

The solstice is at 12-21-12 11:12 UT.

I suppose if anyone had computed the exact time it would be a 22 seconds past the minute. ;)

ummm you coudn't add this to an existing thread on this topic?? geez talk about milking a dry cow

Until nothing happens.

uh yes something will happen...i will be cleaning out my kitchen junk drawer just as i professed i would before the entire forum. there are others who have also pledged to do this as well, so people, decembr 22nd get those drawers cleaned out!

Why would daylight savings time make any difference? Daylight savings time doesn't make the year any shorter or longer, we simply put forward our clocks at a particular date and put them back at another date. It all balances out.

• Like 1

Hopefully we'll all sleep though it.

uh yes something will happen...i will be cleaning out my kitchen junk drawer just as i professed i would before the entire forum. there are others who have also pledged to do this as well, so people, decembr 22nd get those drawers cleaned out!

I will clean NO drawer and you can't make me! :angry:

• Like 1

I will clean NO drawer and you can't make me! :angry:

oh i won't force anyone...the junk drawer seems to be the final frontier for domestic mystery...

there are those who also pledged to do the junk drawer cleaning (if the world didn't end as planned) and those are the ones to whom i speak!

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

Why would daylight savings time make any difference? Daylight savings time doesn't make the year any shorter or longer, we simply put forward our clocks at a particular date and put them back at another date. It all balances out.

That's correct the length of the year is 365.25 days. In fact the Earth revolves in an orbital alignment with respect to the sun at the same given projectory, while 90 degrees out of phase from the year before. Thereby each fourth year one full revolution in an additon is made on the axis in a 'leap' ahead. Nevertheless daylight savings has nothing to do with it.

It seems to me everyone has missed the point entirely. Hollywood and 'fringe' authors want to sell books and tickets. So many crazy ideas and stories have been told. Let's stop and look at the facts. The Mayans had to start the calendar at some point. They started plotting the orbits of the planets and watching their movements around the sun. For one they knew thousands of years ago for a fact that this planets encircled the sun, not vise versa. Europe did not. They were able to determine accurately solar, and lunar eclipses. Look at the amazing monuments that were built. WOW, they are outstanding works of magnificient engineering feats in labor and construction, while presumed made by a civilization that did not to have technology. Not only did they accomplish this but they accurately predicted the eclipse of Venus this past year, an eclipse of the sun in November, and the lining up of the planets in our solar system on the winter solstice, while thousands of years ago. THAT is a marvelous accomplishment why so many centuries ago. I have said it before and say it again. Where does the doomsday scenario fit into the picture at all. Doesn't our calendar start back in January although it ends every December. The long count is in respect to recession on the planets axis. Four Mayan calendars make up one complete cycle of recession, that has been going on for who know how many eons, and will continue for who knows how, many more ages. No one knows the date nor the time when the end will come. No eye nor mind can tell what is in store. The future is NOT decided. We influence it only by the actions we make today. If something crazy happens from outer space or in a violent sun storm... to wipe out the atmosphere or plaster the Earth, what could we REALLY do about it?

• Like 2

You know time spy.. You have actually said something I agree with.. Good post.. Damn good post

Well, we're still here...

... and a quack is laughing all the way to the bank.