Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US scientists aim to make human sperm

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

US researchers say they will redouble their efforts to create human sperm from stem cells following the success of a Japanese study involving mice.
A Kyoto University team used mice stem cells to create eggs, which were fertilised to produce baby mice.
Dr Renee Pera, of Stanford University in California, aims to create human sperm to use for reproduction within two years, and eggs within five years.
Infertility affects up to 15% of reproductive-aged couples worldwide.
"I know people think it's Frankenstein medicine, but I think it's not an imagined or lessened health problem - infertility affects your whole life," Dr Pera says.
"To have sex and have a baby would be a super simple decision, but not everybody can do it."
But using embryonic stem cells for research - as Dr Pera's lab at the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine does - is controversial because the embryos are destroyed in order to use them.
Dr Pera's lab uses embryos left over from IVF treatments.

Laboratory generation?
Stem cells have the potential to grow into any cell in the body. Creating eggs in a lab could become mainstream, much like IVF is viewed today.

Pregnancy age limits
If successful, the technology could significantly wind back the time on a woman's biological clock.
That is great news for many women who have put off having babies to pursue careers and for women who cannot get pregnant due to cancer treatments.
But it raises a slew of new ethical issues: who would decide when a woman is too old to become pregnant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-19879113

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,490 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

I don't want to sound at all heartless, but perhaps infertility is a natural means of regulating population growth, and these Scientists are perhaps reinforcing the pressure that Society puts on people, because Society insists that one is only fulfilled as a person if one contributes to the growth of population. So the blackmail will be even stronger: "there's no excuse now for not contributing to population growth".

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yea, what's the point of this? I make MILLIONS of sperms every day. Shouldn't these people be focusing on curing more serious problems, like cancer?

#4    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 09 October 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Yea, what's the point of this? I make MILLIONS of sperms every day. Shouldn't these people be focusing on curing more serious problems, like cancer?

There is already many scientists working to cure types of cancer. These scientists might not even work in the cancer field, they're not going to research something they're not that familiar with.

Plus i'm sure the couples trying to have children wouldn't think it's pointless.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Post747400, on 09 October 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

I don't want to sound at all heartless, but perhaps infertility is a natural means of regulating population growth, and these Scientists are perhaps reinforcing the pressure that Society puts on people, because Society insists that one is only fulfilled as a person if one contributes to the growth of population. So the blackmail will be even stronger: "there's no excuse now for not contributing to population growth".

In some cases ,its a karmic issue.
People who have done bad things to children,in past lives ,are not allowed to have children ,in the present one .
Usually ,there are other aspects to this karma.
Like a neo natal nurse ,constantly trying to save babies ,and cannot have her own either .

With free will,there is of course always adoption ,but that too is a long painful process ,in some cases.

Miss me?

#6    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

That's just wonderful.

#7    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

n some cases ,its a karmic issue.
People who have done bad things to children,in past lives ,are not allowed to have children ,in the present one .

I'm going to break a forum rule and tell you to go play in traffic for that ignorant and insensitive remark.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

You know what else helps contribute to population control? Any disease and genetic disorder. I think we should get rid of the field of medicine and let nature take it's course. Who's with me? -sarcasm-

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Synthetic human sperm to make babies without fathers...is something currently associated with science fiction elements and furthermore, men are less needed to assist in procreation (just the sperm itself). Reproductive science doesn't have barriers left, like nothing is sacred anymore in the role of men in getting women pregnant resulting in a human baby brought into the world. If one is inable to have children wants to have a baby, they have the right to and revolutionary science made this possible. They also can use alternative services like adoption, if it wasn't for pathetic "red tape" regulations to made it difficult to carry home an unwanted child to a home where the child is wanted, loved and taken care of.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#10    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Like a neo natal nurse ,constantly trying to save babies ,and cannot have her own either .

With free will,there is of course always adoption ,but that too is a long painful process ,in some cases.

Hilarious.
I don't know why you felt the need to mention this, especially in the science section. But thanks for the laugh.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostQuake Storm Maverick 66er, on 09 October 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Synthetic human sperm to make babies without fathers...is something currently associated with science fiction elements and furthermore, men are less needed to assist in procreation (just the sperm itself). Reproductive science doesn't have barriers left, like nothing is sacred anymore in the role of men in getting women pregnant resulting in a human baby brought into the world. If one is inable to have children wants to have a baby, they have the right to and revolutionary science made this possible. They also can use alternative services like adoption, if it wasn't for pathetic "red tape" regulations to made it difficult to carry home an unwanted child to a home where the child is wanted, loved and taken care of.
Is anyone stopping adoption?

Sounds like people want it both ways, the benefits of science while dictating to others what their choices should be when it comes to said benefits.

Edited by Rlyeh, 10 October 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#12    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

Nature is not a sentient overseeing thing. The earth does not know how many ppl are walking on it. That's the people their projection of emotions of fear onto a non-conscious thing/word.
Therefore there is no self-regulation/purging of the earth, it does not go out to kill because it feels like there are too many people.

Scientists are not reinforcing anything, science just provides science. That is all. It is societies job to use it and regulate it in the right way. Science did not create "procreation".

The whole basis for progress is that people are not willing to settle with what they get/have.
Is it your belief that someone who loses his legs was natures way of telling there are already too many walkers out there? So he should not bother getting prosthetics, because nature said so.
People will not accept limits, that is a good thing. Otherwise we'd all still be living in caves or better yet be extinct.

Edited by Render, 10 October 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#13    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

People who have done bad things to children,in past lives ,are not allowed to have children ,in the present one

Perhaps you should think a little more carefully before posting in the science section about an emotive and delicate topic.

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

View Postjanecristy, on 10 October 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Wonderful! now people need not to worry about it but what happened if a big monster developed from such an egg and a sperm developed from a human stem cell ?
Why would a monster develop from a human egg and sperm? When was the last time it happened?

Completely irrelevant.

#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'm going to break a forum rule and tell you to go play in traffic for that ignorant and insensitive remark.

It's interesting how 747400 ,says something similiar ,and no one says a word to him.
Too bad,so sad. Lots of people are NOT meant to do a lot of things this life time,because of things they've done in a past life.
I've actually seen this with my own eyes .y ex ambulance partner and his wife.
Not my problem ,if some people should not have kids .,because they abused or murdered them before.
Think Jerry Sandusky .Yeah ,that kind of karma ,some even worse . So may everything you wished one me,do its karmic thing to you .
*skips away*

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users