Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time travel could happen within 100 years

UM-Bot

Physicists have predicted that time travel and teleportation could become a reality this century.

Scientists from Imperial College London and the University of Glasgow have put forward their predictions for when we might see popular science fiction technologies in the real world.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/274251/time-travel-could-happen-within-100-years

Really? Then get back here and give it to us now...

Oh wait, that hasn't happened because time travel hasn't happened, now or in the future.

Edit: IMO travelling forward in time does not count, this is more than achievable, travelling back is what counts.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 7

Really? Then get back here and give it to us now...

Oh wait, that hasn't happened because time travel hasn't happened, now or in the future.

Edit: IMO travelling forward in time does not count, this is more than achievable, travelling back is what counts.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Will have had waited to see? Stupid time travel grammer.

• Like 5

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Will have had waited to see? Stupid time travel grammer.

I'm going go and watch Back to the Future so I can check my grammar and tense is correct. ;)

• Like 4

We will end up with sentences like this one:

(Kid going to store to buy some candy)

"I was am will be going have gone to back from the store that is will be use to be on the corner of 3rd and Elm. I will be was am back in time for my chores."

(Mother)

"No. Unless your already back."

• Like 7

Like Doctor Who time travel! Will we be able to go to any galaxy too? This is like a dream for me! :)

• Like 1

There is no time travel, either forward or backward. Time is an illusion caused by change. We are always right here and right now. Nobody has ever traveled to the past or the future. Even if the possibility exists that it can be done, then that means it has already been done because someone from the future would have traveled to the past.

The only way time travel could be possible would be if time actually existed. Time is a linear temporal dimension, however, time is actually a subset of the frequency dimension. Time is nothing more than a perception. Frequency is the real component and the frequency is between forward and backward time. The net result being the present.

Subatomic particles, by their nature have half spin. That is, they only spin in the forward direction of time, which gives rise to the illusion of time much as AC electricity gives rise to the illusion of DC electricity when a diode is used.

• Like 4

There is no time travel, either forward or backward. Time is an illusion caused by change. We are always right here and right now. Nobody has ever traveled to the past or the future. Even if the possibility exists that it can be done, then that means it has already been done because someone from the future would have traveled to the past.

The only way time travel could be possible would be if time actually existed. Time is a linear temporal dimension, however, time is actually a subset of the frequency dimension. Time is nothing more than a perception. Frequency is the real component and the frequency is between forward and backward time. The net result being the present.

Subatomic particles, by their nature have half spin. That is, they only spin in the forward direction of time, which gives rise to the illusion of time much as AC electricity gives rise to the illusion of DC electricity when a diode is used.

The only way for for change to exist is in an environment that includes "duration and frequency"... "Duration and frequency" can not exist without "Time" ... ergo Time exists, ergo your statement is flawed...

• Like 4

Well, if Einstein was right, time slows the closer you get to the speed of light. Therefore, you can perceive to be traveling to the future by making a long hyperbolic trip from the Earth and back. I would think to travel back in time, you'd have to be able to go faster than light to overtake the light that was given off in the past by going in the opposite direction to the way the galaxy and universe is traveling inside space. Since the universe is expanding in all directions, this probably will never happen. Just my two-cents worth.

• Like 2

Well, if Einstein was right, time slows the closer you get to the speed of light. Therefore, you can perceive to be traveling to the future by making a long hyperbolic trip from the Earth and back. I would think to travel back in time, you'd have to be able to go faster than light to overtake the light that was given off in the past by going in the opposite direction to the way the galaxy and universe is traveling inside space. Since the universe is expanding in all directions, this probably will never happen. Just my two-cents worth.

Sad and disappointing, but I agree with you.

And, if it could be done, then it would have already been done by people in the future. If that makes sense? :su

I'm going go and watch Back to the Future so I can check my grammar and tense is correct. ;)

If 2015 biff travels back to 1955 biff to give him the almanac, how does he get back to regular 2015 to leave the time machine for doc and Marty to go back? Should he not have returned to alternate 2015 since 1955 biff now had the almanac?

• Like 4

If 2015 biff travels back to 1955 biff to give him the almanac, how does he get back to regular 2015 to leave the time machine for doc and Marty to go back? Should he not have returned to alternate 2015 since 1955 biff now had the almanac?

No because Marty destroys the book so the original timeline stay true...

The alternate timeline only existed in Marty and Doc's imagination. ;)

Sad and disappointing, but I agree with you.

And, if it could be done, then it would have already been done by people in the future. If that makes sense? :su

Who's to say they haven't? There's no guarantee they'd make their presence known.

Then you start to get into the territory of a 'multiverse' where future time travellers may not even exist in our reality should they travel back in time.

Like many of the grander questions in life, we're way to primitive to have an answer to this question, despite our lofty opinion of our own intelligence (as humans).

• Like 1

I belive they will on a small scale. It will be harder to do it on a larger scale with more complex molecules.

No because Marty destroys the book so the original timeline stay true...

The alternate timeline only existed in Marty and Doc's imagination. ;)

Is the alternate timeline wasn't imaginary, shouldn't future biff returned to an alternate 2015 since he went back and gave 1955 biff the almanac, thereby changing the past? Or does the past not change until 1955 biff makes his first bet with the almanac some years later, leaving the 2015 future intact from 1955, enabling future biff to return to the 2015 we've seen?

• Like 1

science fiction has ruined the human race this is all science fiction and none of that can really happen why can't people just accept that all this is going to is be a big waste of money and then they're going to have a press conference and tell us that it didn't work for some reason but there still trying to make it work that's all that we do with futur technology now is try to make it work but always fail

science fiction has ruined the human race this is all science fiction and none of that can really happen why can't people just accept that all this is going to is be a big waste of money and then they're going to have a press conference and tell us that it didn't work for some reason but there still trying to make it work that's all that we do with futur technology now is try to make it work but always fail

When people start doing this to escape the crappy world they live in, people from the past will start flooding the future present. Illegal aliens. What to do with them? They can't be sent back to their original time. Perhaps send them farther into the future just to get rid of them.

• Like 2

Is the alternate timeline wasn't imaginary, shouldn't future biff returned to an alternate 2015 since he went back and gave 1955 biff the almanac, thereby changing the past? Or does the past not change until 1955 biff makes his first bet with the almanac some years later, leaving the 2015 future intact from 1955, enabling future biff to return to the 2015 we've seen?

I was going to mention the 'first bet' being the key point in creating an alternative future but IMO in the BTTF universe only one timeline is true and whatever people do to try and change it it cannot be shifted.

Hang on, I just remembered Marty's parents being different at the end of the first film. Bloody hell, I give up, its just a movie with more plot holes than a net. :P :P

One thing is for sure, they should have wrapped it up after number 2.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

If Time Travel ever becomes a reality, then we would surely know about it now right? I mean, if it's invented in 150 years, then they/someone/whoever would travel back and tell the past them/scientists/whoever that it's possible and teach them how it's possible.....right? How do we know it isn't already possible? For all we know, the past as we remember it may not have been how it actually happened first time round and time travellers have gone back, changed something and we remember only what was changed not what happened before the change.

My head hurts!!!!

• Like 1

If Time Travel ever becomes a reality, then we would surely know about it now right? I mean, if it's invented in 150 years, then they/someone/whoever would travel back and tell the past them/scientists/whoever that it's possible and teach them how it's possible.....right? How do we know it isn't already possible? For all we know, the past as we remember it may not have been how it actually happened first time round and time travellers have gone back, changed something and we remember only what was changed not what happened before the change.

My head hurts!!!!

Unless its only possible to travel back to the point in the past where the time machine was created. So if one is made 100 years from now, in 200 years you could travel back 100.

I was going to mention the 'first bet' being the key point in creating an alternative future but IMO in the BTTF universe only one timeline is true and whatever people do to try and change it it cannot be shifted.

Hang on, I just remembered Marty's parents being different at the end of the first film. Bloody hell, I give up, its just a movie with more plot holes than a net. :P :P

One thing is for sure, they should have wrapped it up after number 2.

But it does have hoverboards, so there's that, at least.

• Like 1

Well, if Einstein was right, time slows the closer you get to the speed of light. [...]

"If" is unnecessary here. He was right: as an example - GPS.
  • Like 1

science fiction has ruined the human race

It has also inspired some great inventions and leaps in technology.

Science-fiction is just an extension of imagination, something that is an integral part of the human race's development rather than something that ruined it.

• Like 2

If everyone thought like you the world would still be flat and humans wouldn't be flying in jets.

• Like 1

It could, then again it might never be possible, at least going backwards in time. If you could travel fast enough, approaching the speed of light, you could travel into the future, relative to those you left behind on earth. But that technology does not exist currently either and the energy required to even get close is enormous.

I do not discount the cleverness of man and how many things that were once purely science fiction are either now commonplace (like the hand-held personal communicator) or are in development, however time travel into the past still seems rather unlikely.

Nobody has ever traveled to the past or the future.

i'm travelling into the future right now.

at the rate of one second per second.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 4