Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

[Merged] Laois ‘bog body’ said to be world’s oldest

laois bog bog body mummified remains ritual sacrifice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,054 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

The mummified remains of a body found in a Laois bog two years ago have been found to date back to 2,000BC, making it the oldest “bog body” discovered anywhere in the world.

The 4,000-year-old remains, which predate the famed Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun by nearly 700 years, are those of a young adult male.

He is believed to have met a violent death in some sort of ritual sacrifice.

http://www.irishtime...ldest-1.1483171

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Fascinatingly gruesome!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Very interesting. Too bad it was partially destroyed. Still, that's better than being wholly destroyed.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

"Well my boy, the good news is that long after we are all gone and forgotten, you will be famous..."
"Gee! That's great!"
"Now for the bad news"

#5    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

“We believe that the victims of these ritual killings are kings that have failed in their kingship and have been sacrificed as a consequence.” Oh, well. It didn't work out so just kill him and put him in the bog. No worries.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,675 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Cashel Man has had the weight of the world on his shoulders, quite literally, for 4,000 years.

Compressed by the peat that has preserved his remains, he looks like a squashed, dark leather holdall.

Apart, that is, from one forlorn arm that stretches out and upward and tells us something of the deliberate and extremely violent death that he suffered 500 years before Tutankhamen was born.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-24053119

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,287 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

View Postseeder, on 24 September 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Because Cashel Man's chest was destroyed by the milling machine that uncovered him, the researchers are unable to examine the state of his nipples.

WOOOO!!!!

Sean Connory: "You call this Archeology??"

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,675 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 September 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

WOOOO!!!!

Sean Connory: "You call this Archeology??"

I think nipples are important to be honest,

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users